Sore!! Question

Options
I've started back to the gym this week and have been using the circuit machines. I did upper body on Monday & legs on Tuesday. Walking & elliptical day of and in-between. I took a Cardio fusion on Thursday where we were did some planks and burpees/hill climbers, Zumba on Friday and rest yesterday. I am super sore in my chest/armpit area. It feels like I did about 1000 push ups!:neutral:

I am wondering, can I start back up with the circuit again today on upper body, give it another day, or move to legs today/upper body tomorrow?

Replies

5050110 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thumb is to give a muscle group 48 hours to recuperate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you're really sore then you probably won't get as good an upper body workout anyway.

I'd do legs and have a good stretch then upper body tomorrow
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Should be fine, but i'd reduce the weight slightly, or at least not increase the weight.

By the way, consider including freeweights to your routine at some point, for better functional strength. :+1:
  • LivisMommy10
    LivisMommy10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Should be fine, but i'd reduce the weight slightly, or at least not increase the weight.

By the way, consider including freeweights to your routine at some point, for better functional strength. :+1:

Absolutely! I have to say, I'm still a little gym shy right now because it's been so long. I do get a couple of intro sessions with a trainer and one personal training session, so I'm hoping to get some help with free weights so I can incorporate them, too.
  • LivisMommy10
    Options
    Thanks for the input!
  • LivisMommy10
    Options
    I guess thinking more about the cardio fusion class, we did use body bars and dumbells also - working the chest. I'm just really surprised at how sore I am!
  • ramskermfc
    ramskermfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You'll acclimate to it. After some time you won't get nearly as sore (until you start pushing things up a few notches and then you'll probably get sore again and then work past that). Your body adapts, but it does let you know you've pushed it at first or after a layoff. If you are REALLY sore . . . like painful sore then definitely ease back into it.

GBR!
  • LivisMommy10
    Options
    ramskermfc wrote: »
    You'll acclimate to it. After some time you won't get nearly as sore (until you start pushing things up a few notches and then you'll probably get sore again and then work past that). Your body adapts, but it does let you know you've pushed it at first or after a layoff. If you are REALLY sore . . . like painful sore then definitely ease back into it.

GBR!

Heck yeah! GBR is right!!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start a beginners lifting program it'll serve you much better then you picking which machines to do and it'll make sure you hit every muscle group.

As for the soreness give yourself at least a day.