2016 Lenten Challenge

Replies

• nancypnurse
    nancypnurse Posts: 123 Member
    anitabix3 wrote: »
    I m giving up bread and im going to start walking my dogs for at least an hour every evening

Boy, we have a lot of lucky dogs this Lenten season!!!
  • nancypnurse
    Doing_me wrote: »
    So I am doing the "traditional" lent and will be vegan for the next 46 days. For this year, I will also eliminate refined sugar, add at least one green smoothie to every day.

Vegan-- that is really challenging for me, from a cooking perspective-- do you have any favorite websites/recipes? Have you done this before? Very cool idea...
  • nancypnurse
    JackiLean wrote: »
    I am donating the £ equivalent of the lbs I lose over Lent to Charity

What a great idea!! I think I'll jump on board with that as well.

I will be sticking 100% to my diet plan my doctor gave me. NO CHEATING.

I will be drinking only water and non-caffeinated tea.

I will be logging daily.

I will also be smiling during this entire time. Even if I'm dying of starvation from withholding the refined sugars I've grown a dependency on.

Please friend me if you'd like help on this mission. As much as I know God is watching, I may need a network a little more corporeal for those really tough times.

Amazing how much a smile can help sometimes.... best of luck! I'm going to try to friend you, Jacki-- hopefully, I don't screw it up.... (perhaps I should take social media lessons this Lent? ;) )
  • nancypnurse
    2016 lent I will give up negative thinking. I will recognize negative self thought and replace it with positive self thought. It's harder than you think.....no pun intended.

You know, you are right; the negative thoughts seem to be a knee-jerk reaction at times. A moment of quiet contemplation can often change that path... something I learned from my Mom, the sweetest lil ol lady with endstage Alzheimers, who still manages to find the positive and light up the world around her...
  • nancypnurse
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Just posted about this! I plan on prelogging everything before I actually eat it, to eliminate binging and estimating snacks. I will make
    Exceptions for when I eat outside the home and do my best to
    Estimate, but that's only once a week or less.

That's a great idea-- I would love to continue to hear how that is going.... does it make it easier to stay on track?
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    I will be giving up Starbucks and "fru-fru" coffee drinks (cannot fully say coffee, as I need caffeine daily due to a neuro issue, and that's better than soda) - except for one travel day (first time flying alone with my 8 year old!), and I will be waking up 30 minutes earlier each day to exercise/meditate.
  • vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    I am going to give up swearing. I don't have a huge potty mouth, but I have my favorites. ;) And with kids around, it is a bad habit to drop one from time to time. Thanks for the extra motivation.
  • nancypnurse
    OK, gotta say-- it is hard to respond to everyone without creating a crazy long thread... I think I may just try to remember the posts and make general comments. We have some great additions and subtractions planned for Lent-- lots of happy doggies who will be getting more walks, lots of gym time; great healthy eating additions like packing lunch, adding more fruits and vegetables; and some who would just like to think more positively. On the subtractions side, we have less snacking, late nite TV, gluten and bread, sweets and sugars, alcohol, fast foods, smoking, less negativity; and one weirdo who is giving up elevators (me!) We are going to be one healthy group by Easter!
    How can we help each other? Any good recipes for those who are changing their diets? What is your favorite activity that you like to do in the gym? And how can we help those who just wish to bring more positivity to their lives?
    I'm looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts.... Have a fantastic day.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I have my eye on the Easter basket @ the end of lent. Giving chocolate and Starburst jelly beans - original flavors - up for lent. Looking forward to 3/27/16. Now that they no longer have the Dove truffle eggs, it is a little easier for me.
  • nancypnurse
    vmsolko wrote: »
    I am going to give up swearing. I don't have a huge potty mouth, but I have my favorites. ;) And with kids around, it is a bad habit to drop one from time to time. Thanks for the extra motivation.

Haha-- I love this! When my daughter was 2, I realized that I had a pottymouth when driving. One day, while I buckled her into her car seat, she sung out, "Sh#t Buddy! Move it Buddy! A%%hole!" My favorite swear now: "Jiminy Cricket!" It has a great mouth feel to it... and her Nana wouldn't faint if she screamed that one out... ;)

• nancypnurse
    I have my eye on the Easter basket @ the end of lent. Giving chocolate and Starburst jelly beans - original flavors - up for lent. Looking forward to 3/27/16. Now that they no longer have the Dove truffle eggs, it is a little easier for me.

And the good news? If you buy those jelly beans after Lent, they will be half price! ;) Good luck
  • nancypnurse
    I will be giving up Starbucks and "fru-fru" coffee drinks (cannot fully say coffee, as I need caffeine daily due to a neuro issue, and that's better than soda) - except for one travel day (first time flying alone with my 8 year old!), and I will be waking up 30 minutes earlier each day to exercise/meditate.

Way to go, Terri. Smart thinking with the "fru-fru" drinks-- that's where the badness is.... lots of studies are showing some benefits to caffeine, like you have found with your neuro issue... Good luck with the flight!
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    I've been low carb since August and have lost 50# without exercising. So here's what I'm gonna do. I have allowed myself black licorice. I will give that up and I will begin exercising. I'll start out x2 a week for 2 weeks, ^ to x3 a week for the remainder of lenten season
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    I am giving up wine again. I gave it up for January and then had some last weekend. I liked the no alcohol thing for January so doing a repeat.
  • nancypnurse
    fullofhope, that is awesome-- and I love how you have a very specific plan for your exercise-- I see more weight loss and more muscle definition in your future. Trish, you are a better woman than me. My 6oz of red wine at nite is a treat I'm just not ready to shake ;)... impressed by your past success, expect I will see the same in the next six weeks.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    edited February 2016
    Oh-Kay, I need help already. I'm dealing with a health scare that leaves me under basically house arrest until it clears up. My interim wound care doc, a PA by licensure, just made a house call to re-evaluate things after I accidentally put pressure on the site this weekend (trying to watch the game). Apparently, I made the tissue quite angry, and may have caused a moderate infection. It's all I can do not to hide in the nearest hole and cry! HAALLLP!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    I am planning the following during lent.

5-6 Gym visits a week (Elliptical, Body Pump and sporadic trainer)
    More "wholefood" eating plan and higher protein %.
    1 small diet coke a day at most.
    Much higher water intake.
    More sleep
    8am Mass ever Sunday and then a trip to the gym after!
  • siltsu2014
    siltsu2014 Posts: 9 Member
    I will give up crisps :# I hope this will be the motivation for it finally since it's my number 1 comfort food. Instead I'll save that money for something nice for my birthday in April :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Just posted about this! I plan on prelogging everything before I actually eat it, to eliminate binging and estimating snacks. I will make
    Exceptions for when I eat outside the home and do my best to
    Estimate, but that's only once a week or less.

That's a great idea-- I would love to continue to hear how that is going.... does it make it easier to stay on track?

Day one has been a success! I've prelogged meals
    And snacks for
    Almost
    A year, but often end up "tasting" something not logged and it can turn into a mini binge.

Today I logged everything before I ate. So when my daughter insisted I try one of her little cookies, i actually logged one before I ate it. It was only 5 calories but logging one made me
    Confident I would stop at just
    That taste.
    It was such a relief to know that I exercised enough this morning to sustain the calories I planned on eating all day. Many days I'm worried late in the day and trying to
    Fit in more
    Steps. Wasn't a problem today. I'm psyched.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    This year for Lent I plan to do the following:

No alcohol on weekdays
    Fasting and no meat on Fridays
    No shopping except for groceries (this is a big one for me)!
    Reach out to at least 5 people who I'm always "planning" to get in touch with.

I love the idea of donating the pounds lost during Lent to charity, so I'm adding that in, as well.

Great thread! @nancypnurse - have you considered creating an actual group for this challenge?