Mediterranean way of living

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    lodro wrote: »
    Use olive oil for cooking and in salads.
    Eat lots of wild caught fish.
    Limit meat.
    Eat beans.
    Eat salads.
    Use lemon juice in your salads and dishes.

where in the mediterranean do they eat like this exactly?

In many rural areas of the countries around the Mediterranean, less so in the larger urban areas, or at least thats my experience from Greece

Some of my best friends are greeks who are study abroad for university and they eat very similarly. They bake and cook everything for themselves. Always. They squirt lemon juice on literally everything. They eat meat 1-3 times a week. Every meal is served with a greek salad(tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, oregano, and olive oil) with a thick *kitten* piece of feta. They constantly go on and on about how they will only use olive oil and how healthy it is, even when they are pouring it on....

When i was on a few greek islands (after a stay in athens) last year i experienced the exact same thing. Of course there was fast food like souvlaki, but i was incredibly suprised by the amount of food I could eat there (since i'm vegetarian) and how many of the meals were meat-free or darn near close to it. I've learned so many recipes like Patates Lemonates (roasted lemon potatoes), Yemista (stuffed tomatoes), Melitzanosalata (eggplant dip), Fasolakia (Green beans with potatoes, tomatoes), kolokithakia (fried zuchinni balls), etc.

The amount of fresh veggies and fruits was amazing, and they were eaten with almost every meal. They had some excellent dairy (like fresh feta, fage yogurt, etc.) as well. I'm dreaming of the tiropita now.... mmm!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Does anyone know how to start incorporating this way of life into everyday living?

Move to Southern France - drink Pastis and eat tapenade d'olive. Listen to Occitan.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    fishshark wrote: »
    i am Italian both sides my mom came here when she was 6. The main thing honestly.. is they walk EVERYWHERE. Or they will ride their bikes. They eat smaller portions but frequently. the French and Italians eat pretty carb and fat heavy foods but like i said they are an active bunch. My grandmother who is 80 walks 10 miles a day give or take to the store/farmer market. Eats pasta cheese fat bread oils and wine all day. They really do limit red meat.... Also DONT COOK WITH OLIVE OIL. Super low smoke point. eat it in jts raw form.

exactly, eat your olive oil, cook with avacado oil
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Limit meat.
    Eat beans.
    Eat salads.

In many rural areas of the countries around the Mediterranean, less so in the larger urban areas, or at least thats my experience from Greece

Some of my best friends are greeks who are study abroad for university and they eat very similarly. They bake and cook everything for themselves. Always. They squirt lemon juice on literally everything. They eat meat 1-3 times a week. Every meal is served with a greek salad(tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, oregano, and olive oil) with a thick *kitten* piece of feta. They constantly go on and on about how they will only use olive oil and how healthy it is, even when they are pouring it on....

When i was on a few greek islands (after a stay in athens) last year i experienced the exact same thing. Of course there was fast food like souvlaki, but i was incredibly suprised by the amount of food I could eat there (since i'm vegetarian) and how many of the meals were meat-free or darn near close to it. I've learned so many recipes like Patates Lemonates (roasted lemon potatoes), Yemista (stuffed tomatoes), Melitzanosalata (eggplant dip), Fasolakia (Green beans with potatoes, tomatoes), kolokithakia (fried zuchinni balls), etc.

The amount of fresh veggies and fruits was amazing, and they were eaten with almost every meal. They had some excellent dairy (like fresh feta, fage yogurt, etc.) as well. I'm dreaming of the tiropita now.... mmm!

I am a meat eater, but still love all of those but my favourite is Gigandes Plaki (I think thats correct). Oh and who could not love spicy feta dip (not even going to attempt to spell that one!)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Smoke point of various oils. Regular olive oil isn't that low. Extra virgin is lower.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html
  • rainbowbow
    Limit meat.
    Eat beans.
    Eat salads.

I am a meat eater, but still love all of those but my favourite is Gigandes Plaki (I think thats correct). Oh and who could not love spicy feta dip (not even going to attempt to spell that one!)

Yes! :smiley:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    jpaulie wrote: »
    i am Italian both sides my mom came here when she was 6. The main thing honestly.. is they walk EVERYWHERE. Or they will ride their bikes. They eat smaller portions but frequently. the French and Italians eat pretty carb and fat heavy foods but like i said they are an active bunch. My grandmother who is 80 walks 10 miles a day give or take to the store/farmer market. Eats pasta cheese fat bread oils and wine all day. They really do limit red meat.... Also DONT COOK WITH OLIVE OIL. Super low smoke point. eat it in jts raw form.

exactly, eat your olive oil, cook with avacado oil

No one in the Mediterranean cooks with avocado oil.
  • rainbowbow
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Smoke point of various oils. Regular olive oil isn't that low. Extra virgin is lower.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/cooking-fats-101-whats-a-smoke-point-and-why-does-it-matter.html

I'm not sure if it's just a US thing, but i was CONVINCED you could never fry or cook on high heat with olive oil. I was shocked when i saw my friends making french fries with olive oil (But-but, what about the smoke point?!?!) but apparently it isn't a problem. *shrug*
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member

I'm not sure if it's just a US thing, but i was CONVINCED you could never fry or cook on high heat with olive oil. I was shocked when i saw my friends making french fries with olive oil (But-but, what about the smoke point?!?!) but apparently it isn't a problem. *shrug*

I always cook with olive oil.
  • lemurcat12

Yeah, I actually learned that from someone on MFP and checked it out: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/cooking-with-olive-oil-faq-safety-flavor.html
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member

And thats why the fries taste so great out there as well :-)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member

i get extra virgin from italy and smoke it is very low.
  • rainbowbow

correct me if i'm wrong...

extra virgin is meant to be drizzled on stuff because of it's delicate flavor, right? Regular olive oil is used for cooking.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I believe it's a thing in countries where olive trees aren't traditionally grown. When you say olive oil, my mind automatically defaults to extra virgin because that's the only olive oil I've ever know (almost everyone buys it in large amounts every year straight from the olive press and you get to examine the olives that are being pressed and the resulting oil before buying). My mom went to Russia last year and told us how olive oil doesn't even look or smell like the olive oil we know, it looks like regular frying oil. So no, it's not just a US thing. Industrialized olive oil businesses need to do something with the "reject" olive oil, so they refine it to be sold as suitable for frying.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016

extra virgin is meant to be drizzled on stuff because of it's delicate flavor, right? Regular olive oil is used for cooking.

That's how I understand it. You get extra virgin (and pay more) because of the flavor, which goes to waste (not noticeable) when using it for cooking, even below the smoke point. I get expensive extra virgin for cold uses, but cook (often) with regular olive oil.
  • lemurcat12

I believe it's a thing in countries where olive trees aren't traditionally grown. When you say olive oil, my mind automatically defaults to extra virgin because that's the only olive oil I've ever know (almost everyone buys it in large amounts every year straight from the olive press and you get to examine the olives that are being pressed and the resulting oil before buying). My mom went to Russia last year and told us how olive oil doesn't even look or smell like the olive oil we know, it looks like regular frying oil. So no, it's not just a US thing. Industrialized olive oil businesses need to do something with the "reject" olive oil, so they refine it to be sold as suitable for frying.

My understanding is that Mediterranean countries have long used olive oil for a variety of uses, including extra virgin and cooking (and lamp oil, etc.).

Also, lots of stuff sold as olive oil (and especially extra virgin) apparently isn't, and that extra virgin olive oil might not be and even normal "olive oil" in Russia might not be olive oil at all does not seem unlikely to me. See also http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/14/has-the-italian-mafia-sold-you-fake-extra-virgin-olive-oil.html and http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/books/extra-virginity-by-tom-mueller-a-word-on-olive-oil-review.html?_r=0.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited February 2016

Extra virgin can have a very strong taste, it all depends on where it comes from. Oil from southern Italy has a stronger "tangy" flavor, the northern oils are delicate. Here it also depends on the acidity of the oil--for quality purposes. My mother-in-law and family, from Puglia in the south, used olive oil for frying, and they didn't care about smoke point. Many brands labeled "extra virgin" are actually blends of different oils, that bring down the quality. There are big scandals on this every now and again on the news. They try to test the oil frequently to catch the changlings. That is why Italians try to buy oil directly from people they know. A big problem now, in the south, is an insect that is bringing a disease to the olive trees. It's sad to see centuries old trees dying. Oil has also been scarse in our area because of several warm winters in a row.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    edited February 2016

If you are somewhere where you can afford it, then you do everything with EVOO. You replace EVOO for financial reasons only, makign a compromise where it is worth it. O
    If you are going for Mediterranean style eating, you cook and fry in olive oil, preferably EVOO. Of course keep in mind that prices are not going to be the same as in areas where oil is imported. To give you an example, I just had delivered 70 lts of cold pressed organic EVOO for 200 euros (around 230 for Americans), directly from the producer. This is about a year's supply and no other oil will be purchased for the next year. If I were to buy the oil in 1 lt bottles for double or triple (or far worse since it is organic) the price, and not even be sure it is not fake or fresh, obviously things would change in my cooking habits.

This is not scientific, but it explains some things:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/viewtopic.php?id=78850#GeFeMBDK9HZE6wfR.97
    And this is the scientific advice, healthwise: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/SimpleCookingwithHeart/Healthy-Cooking-Oils-101_UCM_445179_Article.jsp#.Vrnwufl95D8
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »

If you are somewhere where you can afford it, then you do everything with EVOO. You replace EVOO for financial reasons only, makign a compromise where it is worth it. O
    If you are going for Mediterranean style eating, you cook and fry in olive oil, preferably EVOO. Of course keep in mind that prices are not going to be the same as in areas where oil is imported. To give you an example, I just had delivered 70 lts of cold pressed organic EVOO for 200 euros (around 230 for Americans), directly from the producer. This is about a year's supply and no other oil will be purchased for the next year. If I were to buy the oil in 1 lt bottles for double or triple (or far worse since it is organic) the price, and not even be sure it is not fake or fresh, obviously things would change in my cooking habits.

This is not scientific, but it explains some things:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/viewtopic.php?id=78850#GeFeMBDK9HZE6wfR.97
    And this is the scientific advice, healthwise: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/SimpleCookingwithHeart/Healthy-Cooking-Oils-101_UCM_445179_Article.jsp#.Vrnwufl95D8

That's a great price. I pay 6 to 8 euros a liter for cold press EVOO direct from the grower.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Does anyone know how to start incorporating this way of life into everyday living?

This site might be helpful to you
    http://oldwayspt.org/programs/mediterranean-foods-alliance/what-mediterranean-diet