Too much Sodium??

Options
MoRiv1986
MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
If you go over your sodium, what kind of effects does it have on your body? What if you go over your sodium levels often?

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If you go over your sodium, what kind of effects does it have on your body? What if you go over your sodium levels often?

If I go over I tend to hold more water than a swimming pool :sad: I'm trying to stick within my limits but it's not the end of the world if I don't. I know it's not a "proper gain".
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure, heart disease, stroke
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    A very small percentage of people are sensitive to sodium. For the rest it really has no negative effect. The major studies that gave everyone the salt scare have since been discredited in peer review.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    headache,racing heart, flushed, sick for about 2 days.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options

If I go over I tend to hold more water than a swimming pool :sad: I'm trying to stick within my limits but it's not the end of the world if I don't.

This
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Water and sodium are best buds where one goes the other follows if your having a very salty day make sure you compensate with fluids so you can go peepee a bit more and good ol sodium will follow. If you are hypertensive salt sensitive try to go low sodium as possible and push up the potassium intake have a peek at the DASH diet
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options

If I go over I tend to hold more water than a swimming pool :sad: I'm trying to stick within my limits but it's not the end of the world if I don't.

This

^^ yep, unfortunately :noway:
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    If you drink the minimum 8x250ml glasses of water a day going over by a couple hundred is not an issue, if anbything as you drink and or exercise you are getting rid of salts anyway and that is not tracked in MFP so for all you know you are actually under, but you will now when you have too much in your system, you'll just tend to hold it longer and gain water weight until you pee more often to get rid of any excess. Now if you don't drink more then enough water and you go over you are in serious danger of blood dehydration and the other diseases linked to sodium and cholesterol.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Water and sodium are best buds where one goes the other follows if your having a very salty day make sure you compensate with fluids so you can go peepee a bit more and good ol sodium will follow. If you are hypertensive salt sensitive try to go low sodium as possible and push up the potassium intake have a peek at the DASH diet

This ^^ just drink more and you will pee on a regular schedule :) Note tho peeing often could be a sign of kidney issues too so don't just take it as face value that your body is cleansing
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.