Gastric Bypass 11 years ago and 90lb gain...anyone out there have success re losing?????

Options
Hi all! Ive been on MFP on and off for a few years now. At one point even lost 75lbs of the 100+ I had regained after gastric bypass surgery 11 years ago. I had initially went from 420 to 200 back up to 305 (which I am now)

It was a rough journey after the surgery and one that I'm not here to rehash. I want to concentrate on the positive and the future. Had a bunch of tests done recently so I know I'm in pretty good health, save for super bad knees and a leg injury which keeps me from walking as much as I'd like.

BUT...I'm trying to find that spark in me to make long term changes. I have been consistently losing the same 10 lbs for months now. Lots of changes in the past two years with a major move down south for my husband and I.

I feel like the older I get (42 as of this Thursday) and the more I gain the harder it is to make lasting changes. I hate that I sound like that!

I guess I"m hoping to find support on here and / or hear from anyone who had success with losing a regain?

I don't have access to my original gastric bypass doctor and the Mississippi bariatric departments won't touch you unless you have had the surgery through them. So I only have access to online meal plans and my primary care physician who has been AMAZING.

I am hoping I dont sound too "poor me" because I honestly don't feel that way. I'm just a little disillusioned right now and like I had said earlier...trying to find that "spark" again.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, as you already know, gastric bypass doesn't guarantee success. You have to do the same thing as everyone else: consume fewer calories than you burn. You also have to tackle the reasons you overeat (would counseling help with this?). You don't necessarily need to do massive amounts of exercise, either. You just need to compensate for what you can't do with reducing calories (set your activity to sedentary). Have you ever watched "My 600 lb Life?" The show, like the doctor's advice, doesn't just apply to 600 lb people.
  • scatterdglas
    scatterdglas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you Paula and Thorsmom!
  • fredgonzini
    fredgonzini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Start from the beginning, back to the protein shakes. And 4 oz meal. You can do it. Remember how good you felt losing the weight. Good luck
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Start from the beginning, back to the protein shakes. And 4 oz meal. You can do it. Remember how good you felt losing the weight. Good luck

I don't see how this would solve anything. It worked right after the bypass because her stomach was smaller and would only hold so much. Her stomach over time has obviously got stretched to the point of allowing more food and calories in. Her dropping down to the bypass diet will only make her want to binge.

OP I agree with the previous poster who said to find the root of why you over eat. Is it a comfort thing? A stress thing? Find a good counselor to help work through those issues and maybe find other coping skills to use in place of food.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I've been losing/regaining the same 15 pounds over and over. As much as I dislike journaling, I recently forced myself to start journaling. Writing down my successes and failures and rereading them has really helped me to find my triggers and patterns. I'm starting to really see what circumstances cause me to overeat and what things I did in a great day to achieve success. It's been a real eye-opener and I highly recommend it.
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Baby steps, first it sounds like you have an emotional eating problem I would talk to a counselor for that, second start logging everything you eat and drink if it goes in your mouth it gets logged, third I would start eating more protein that is going to help your appetite suppress and keep your blood sugar from spiking which causes hunger. As far as exercise try using a recumbent bike, I had a total knee replacement last year and it is really easy on the knees and a great cardio workout, start slow and build yourself up. I know of another lady that had gastric bypass like you a few years ago and she has gained every pound back. I was considering it at one time myself but decided not to... So it's not happened just to you I've seen it for myself. You can do this, just have to believe in yourself. Remember Rome was not built over night!!!
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in '95. Went from 368 to 212 and back to 368. I am currently 194. It has taken me 7 years to get the weight back off, but so far, so good.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »

I don't see how this would solve anything. It worked right after the bypass because her stomach was smaller and would only hold so much. Her stomach over time has obviously got stretched to the point of allowing more food and calories in. Her dropping down to the bypass diet will only make her want to binge.

OP I agree with the previous poster who said to find the root of why you over eat. Is it a comfort thing? A stress thing? Find a good counselor to help work through those issues and maybe find other coping skills to use in place of food.

I see what your saying here. I think the premise is to go back to high protein, small portions. The stomach will shrink some and at some point the smaller meals will be enough. Surgery or not, I think this should work for most everyone.

Time to nix the burger and fries (or whatever it is that tempts us).

OP can you find time to swim? We have a facility that has a therapeutic pool. They offer classes and free swim time. Might be something to help you introduce more activity and free your mind from stress eating.

Good luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is about more than eating.

Whatever is bothering you in general will manifest as addictions. Eating too much is a (psychological) addiction. It is a way to stuff emotions.

So. What is bothering you? I mean, really? Your marriage? Your childhood? Some big trauma in your past? I'm not asking you to spill all here, but that is what you need to figure out. When you are at peace, this will resolve.
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »

I completely disagree. I had my bypass 21 years ago. 6 years ago I had an endoscopy done by a bariatric surgeon to check out my "pouch". He said that it wasn't much bigger than when I had it done. My problem was "slider foods"; those foods that when eaten can slide right through the stoma to the truncated intestine. Think processed carbs; rice, pasta, fries, cereal... that junk. Low carb eating and "protein first" thinking got me turned around. Yes, a counselor would help, but if all else fails, see your surgeon. s/he can do the much needed follow-up bloodwork and send you to see a bariatric nutritionist. These things worked wonders for me. I did NOT have revision surgery done; just learned to use my long-neglected "tool".
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 40 and have struggled with my weight for 20 years. Two years ago I finally had that a-ha moment. I stopped putting time-limited goals on my weight loss. No more, I want to be 10 lbs less by Christmas or I want to have lost 20 lbs by this or that event so I can look good. Nope - that was so much pressure and it always backfired. So, my goal became to be in a caloric deficit each week and I would get to my goal weight when I got there. It was a big mind shift and it took me a long time to get there, but it really worked for me. Best of luck to you!