Fish oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dontblink913
    Dontblink913 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coromega makes a supplement that's in a squeeze form. The orange is really good and taste like a creamsicle. Also, your body absorbs the fish oil better than taking a supplement in pill form. Plus no fish burps!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    b0jk2S0.gif
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this burping thing and I take them twice a day. I'm not convinced they do anything, but my doctor recommended them years ago, so I have taken them ever since. I don't notice anything different when I take them verses when I forget. Way I figure, it can't hurt and they aren't expensive, so why not?
    I've never experienced this burping. Fish oil supplements have come a long, long way from those days.
    Kirkland - Costco brand fish oil. Never a fish burp for husband and I.
    Buy good brands.

I take flaxseed oil. I did burp from the Kirkland brand. My doctor said a lot of them are rancid, even Kirkland, and to bite one when you buy a bottle and make sure it tastes fresh and return the bottle if not. Blech, no thanks. I do give my dogs each two Kirkland fish oil pills a day.
  • jame0529
    jame0529 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil every day, twice a day as my doctor prescribed. Occasional fishy burps, but rarely. Also definitely helps maintain my triglycerides. As I went from once a day to twice a day, the number significantly improved.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/supplements/fish-oil/
    There's decent evidence for them having an effect. As supplements go, their effect is strong. Assuming a person doesn't actually eat fish. If you're already eating fatty fish 2 times a week or more, you're just buying expensive burps.

If you have an actual medical problem with cholesterol though, they have nothing compared to the power of Statins and other actual medicine. Over time, access to these medical options has meant that fish oil is less effective.

Personally I look forward to the day that we can just have fish oil as part of our cooking oils by having the genes present in our oil crops:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/new-gm-cereal-crop-produces-fish-oil-in-its-seeds-10372772.html