Snacks Before Bed

Options
2»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    One trick I found was to eat a serving of Low Fast Cottage Cheese with Paprika prior to bed. The proteins in cottage cheese take longer for the body to breakdown and the paprika adds spice which also boosts your metabolism. With this combination I found my metabolism never shut off and when I woke up and ate breakfast I was immediately getting energy from it.

Your metabolism never slows down or "shuts off" unless you're dead. In which case you have much bigger issues than what you're going to eat for breakfast the next morning.

All the garbage about "jump starting", "kick starting", "revving up" your metabolism are woo. Your body works 24 hours a day. There are a lot of repair/recovery processes that go on while you sleep, and that's also when the largest percentage of fat is burned. Your body doesn't go to sleep and quit working when you do. Your metabolism is quite active through the night, regardless of what you eat (or don't eat) before you go to bed.

Two thumbs up.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    One trick I found was to eat a serving of Low Fast Cottage Cheese with Paprika prior to bed. The proteins in cottage cheese take longer for the body to breakdown and the paprika adds spice which also boosts your metabolism. With this combination I found my metabolism never shut off and when I woke up and ate breakfast I was immediately getting energy from it.

Your metabolism never shuts off until you die. And no, paprika does not "boost your metabolism".
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I was active duty I started drinking a casein protein shake around bed time. This kept me from raiding the vending machine.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I save quite a few calories for night time snacks. I've always been an evening and night eater. I may have 2-3 snacks between dinner and bedtime. Or I may only have 1, though that's very rare. I also sleep much better when fully satiated.

Some of my favorites are:

42g cottage cheese w/ 100g fruit
    28g of almonds
    28g of a sweet potato crackers w/2 laughing cow cheese
    28g quinoa chips w/ 150g fresh salsa
    High fiber english muffin w/ a laughing cow cheese wedge spread on it
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    chimpy123 wrote: »
    I totally second the cottage cheese. I eat mine with a bit of fresh berries. I just find that its relatively low cal, fits into my macros, and leaves me satisfied enough to go to sleep (I can't sleep when my stomach is growling).

Yup, I frequently have cottage cheese with fruit as a bedtime snack.

Last night I made chocolate-PB-protein fluff.

h6k6n805303j.jpg