under calorie limit but naughty foods

Options

Replies

• acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My advice is to set a day usually the end of the week and choose thst day to have a cheat meal.Use it as a way to reward yourself for the work you have done for the week.Also idk about anyone on here but my nutritionist tells me to have one cheat meal a week, just to continue to throw my body off. Your body is smart so if u continue to eat the same foods day in and day out, your body will almost become stagnant. Unless your in a huge deficit. So have one high caloric day is not bad because it will keep your metabolism working properly.

None of what your nutritionist told you is true. The body doesn't "stagnate" in fat loss...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    I would think that muesli bars would be a great 'go to' snack.. Especially as you can very easily count in the calories.

My only issue with a muesli bar is that I think it is something that many would choose as a "healthy" option vs. something they like more, not realizing the nutritional value is pretty similar. In that case, I'd say go for what you really find satisfying.

On the other hand, if you really like them or think they would hit the spot at a certain time, I agree that they seem like a pretty decent snack: one example I see has 200 calories, 5 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.

For the OP, the bigger issue, as others have said, is that trying to categorize food as naughty or nice and avoiding all the "naughty" ones (especially if even a muesli bar=naughty) seems a way to drive yourself crazy. Whether something is a good part of a healthy diet or not depends on the rest of the diet and your lifestyle and calorie goal.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Yes the research is about added sugars, but that basically means all sugars not naturally contained in fruit or milk.

Or vegetables.

In some of those bars at least some of the sugar is from fruit, too.

Bigger issue is that with a limit of 30 g or 5%-10% of calories or whatever (depending on the source), a muesli bar fits just fine, depending on the overall diet. Especially since I'd look at the course of a week or on average, not think it was horrible to go over on an individual day -- that doesn't seem to me what the recs are saying.
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Trainer is talking nonsense. I lost 20lbs last spring and then have maintained since by sticking to my cals. Throughout, I've had two nice chocolates from a box every evening with my coffee, a cereal bar every morning as a snack, and pizza every Wednesday night!

The only thing if you eat too much sugary junk is that it can make you feel hungrier so you eat more and go over your allowance. It can also mess with your mood a bit, giving you more ups and downs rather than steady energy. But a calorie is a calorie.

I think most people watching their diet are either moderators or abstainers. I'm a moderator - I can't give up chocolate, alcohol etc, completely. I'd be miserably. I still have those things but in moderation, and within my calorie goal. Other people are abstainers - they can't have just a little bit of the 'naughtier' foods - so they prefer to cut them out completely.

And may I say, you look fabulous on it!

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Your trainer is obviously clueless about nutrition and the laws of thermodynamics (no, your body doesn't count calories but it does burn them regardless of where they come from and if you burn more than you eat it has to pull that energy from fat stores, sugar or no sugar. It will only store fat if there is leftover energy, aka you ate more calories than you burned).

Btw, I ate seven Oreos with a glass of milk as a bedtime snack last night and logged 1.2 pounds lost this morning.

If you think eating 7 Oreos with milk caused your weigh loss, I have a bridge to sell you. Sure you can eat some nutritionally less dense foods and still have a health diet and lose weight but eating 7 Oreos did not cause a 1.2 pound weight loss.

Dude the point was that the Oreos didn't cause me to gain weight because I was still at my calorie goal. This directly contradicts the trainer who said that sugar will cause fat storage even despite a deficit.
    I didn't even remotely imply that Oreos caused the weight loss.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Your trainer is obviously clueless about nutrition and the laws of thermodynamics (no, your body doesn't count calories but it does burn them regardless of where they come from and if you burn more than you eat it has to pull that energy from fat stores, sugar or no sugar. It will only store fat if there is leftover energy, aka you ate more calories than you burned).

Btw, I ate seven Oreos with a glass of milk as a bedtime snack last night and logged 1.2 pounds lost this morning.

Whole milk? Skim milk? Or something in between?

Also what happens if I only eat 6 oreos? Will I lose more weight if I eat 8?

I got your point but somewhere along the way someone will come along...read that you lost weight eating 7 oreos and a glass of milk and think that it is a new way to lose weight.

2% so somewhere in between.
    And really? OP says their trainer claims that eating sugar will cause fat gain. I offer an example of that not being true and you're taking it as me advocating a diet of "Oreos make you lose weight"???
    Wow...
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options

Your trainer doesn't know how the body works. Or the first rule of physics club.

I thought the first rule of physics club was that you couldn't talk about physics club?

No, because of Quantum entanglement that was moved to the third rule. The first is Conservation of Energy.

And the second is "cat in a box = happy cat"
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Your trainer doesn't know how the body works. Or the first rule of physics club.

I thought the first rule of physics club was that you couldn't talk about physics club?

No, because of Quantum entanglement that was moved to the third rule. The first is Conservation of Energy.

Now who went and brought Schrödinger into this?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Speaking of naughty and kitchens and cats:

xx70dwvc0l8s.jpg
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Now who went and brought Schrödinger into this?

Schrodinger is always here.

And not here.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Food isn't good or bad. You usually stay satiated longer on proteins and fiber though while sugar isn't always as satisfying. I make pizzas, burritos, and brownies. By tweeking the norm they aren't horribly calorie dense either. Just fit within your calories and you'll be fine.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I got your point but somewhere along the way someone will come along...read that you lost weight eating 7 oreos and a glass of milk and think that it is a new way to lose weight.

And really? OP says their trainer claims that eating sugar will cause fat gain. I offer an example of that not being true and you're taking it as me advocating a diet of "Oreos make you lose weight"???
    Wow...

@Carlos_421 I understood exactly what your point was. I think most people would have..

• Carlos_421
    Options

Wow...

@Carlos_421 I understood exactly what your point was. I think most people would have..

Sometimes I think people try too hard to make things more confusing than they are.
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I found a few posts referring to what I think she means about all calories not necessarily being equal. Ie. Webmd says "Food produces hormonal effects in the body, some say store fat, whilst others say release sugar. Study after study shows that diets based on the same calories but with different proportions of fat, proteins and carbohydrates produce different weight loss results."
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    lexylondon wrote: »
    How does it work if your under your weight loss plan calorie limit but your still eating some naughty foods like muesli bars. The trainer at the gym reckons calorie counting is too simplified "we calorie count, our body doesn't" ie. The body just sees sugar and even though it may not take you over your calorie limit it may cause you to gain weight because of how your body reacts to sugar. So yea I know I shouldn't be eating sugar laden muesli bars for my healths same but if I do but keep to my calorie limit will I put on weight??

Total novice here.

How it works is that you lose weight if you have a calorie deficit.
    Calling food "naughty" is not necessary. Food is food. A calorie is a calorie.
    Consult a real dietician if you want nutrition advice not a fitness trainer.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lexylondon wrote: »
    I found a few posts referring to what I think she means about all calories not necessarily being equal. Ie. Webmd says "Food produces hormonal effects in the body, some say store fat, whilst others say release sugar. Study after study shows that diets based on the same calories but with different proportions of fat, proteins and carbohydrates produce different weight loss results."

WebMD is about as reliable source of nutrition information as the trainer at the gym.

A calorie is a calorie from an energy standpoint. Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight.

Foods are not all the same from a nutritional standpoint and that goes for both macro and micro nutrients. Eating a balance of different types of macros (protein, fats, carbs) may make a difference in satiety and how you achieve fitness/body composition goals.

Regardless, the claim that certain foods are "naughty" in my opinion, does not really lead to a healthy mindset about food. Leaving room for less nutrient dense "treats" can help with long term adherence and does not set back your progress toward your goals as long as it is done in moderation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

If you think eating 7 Oreos with milk caused your weigh loss, I have a bridge to sell you. Sure you can eat some nutritionally less dense foods and still have a health diet and lose weight but eating 7 Oreos did not cause a 1.2 pound weight loss.

Dude the point was that the Oreos didn't cause me to gain weight because I was still at my calorie goal. This directly contradicts the trainer who said that sugar will cause fat storage even despite a deficit.
    I didn't even remotely imply that Oreos caused the weight loss.

I understood you :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I didn't even remotely imply that Oreos caused the weight loss. [/quote]

I thought what you said was perfectly clear. I don't know how anyone interpreted that as you saying the oreos caused your weight loss.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
    Options

Wow...

I did too but now I'm totally going on the Oreo diet. :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    I hate the idea of "naughty" or "bad" foods. I eat whatever I want. I just don't eat as much as I could. And I find that when I start really looking at the calories and the nutritional value of a food I am less likely to want foods that don't fill me up or help me reach my nutritional goals. I ate ice cream with chocolate syrup last night and my weight was still down this morning. I will usually eat Greek yogurt if I need some more calories because it has a lot of protien and helps with my sweet tooth, but I wanted the ice cream and I had more than enough calories available so I had it and didn't feel one bit guilty.