So tired

Options
I have days, particularly on rest days, but sometimes on normal days too, that I am extremely tired and fatigued. I walk an hour each day, plus an hour strength training 3 times a week, in addition to any other activity I do, but that tends to not be a lot. I have a sitting job, and when I study I also sit.

My deficit is 300-400 calories depending on if I'm saving for a treat or my hunger. I try to hit all my macros, sometimes they're a bit off. I might have more protein and fat one day, and slightly less carbs. Or I might have slightly more carbs and a little less fat, but they're never too far off. I also take Centrum Active which is a multivitamin that's supposed to give you energy.

Yesterday was one of my tired days, I couldn't find the energy for anything. Last night, I was so tired I had trouble falling asleep. Even turning over in bed was so much effort.

What could cause this?

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and how big is your deficit? So how many calories are you eating?

95069916.png
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What are your stats and how big is your deficit? So how many calories are you eating?

95069916.png

Like I said, my deficit is between 300-400 calories. I'm 23 female, 5'2, 134lb. I do eat my exercise calories back so in total I eat 1500-1600ish, but I net 1290 on average.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    Maybe the 1290 Net is to low for you. How much did you lose?

and yes you said 300-400 calories deficit but that still dont tell anybody of us how much you eat NET so thats why i asked.

95069916.png
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Maybe the 1290 Net is to low for you. How much did you lose?

and yes you said 300-400 calories deficit but that still dont tell anybody of us how much you eat NET so thats why i asked.

95069916.png

Last week I lost 1lb, this week I lost 0.5lb. First week was mostly water, I've only been at it for 2 weeks.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    aha and tired since 2 weeks too?
    maybe the change of diet
    Did you cut any food ( groups) out.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    aha and tired since 2 weeks too?
    maybe the change of diet
    Did you cut any food ( groups) out.

I changed it slightly. My breakfast has always been the same, oatmeal. Lunch is still any food I cook, but now I fill half the plate with veggies. At night I used to have a sandwich, but that's been replaced with eggs/chicken and potatoes. Snacks are yoghurt and fruit or some nuts. Again snacks have always been the same.

I drink a lot more fluid too.

My exercise has always been the same, except for the strength training I added.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    And how do you know you get 1290 calories NET do you weigh your food on a digital scale?

Mostly being tired or out of energy when you start or been longer on a diet is the change and or not enough calories. This when there are no medical issues.

I would suggest to up your calories a bit.

In my whole losing weight traject the days that i was hungry or tired were rare....more like full of energy and active.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    And how do you know you get 1290 calories NET do you weigh your food on a digital scale?

Mostly being tired or out of energy when you start or been longer on a diet is the change and or not enough calories. This when there are no medical issues.

I would suggest to up your calories a bit.

In my whole losing weight traject the days that i was hungry or tired were rare....more like full of energy and active.

Yes I do weigh my food. My maintenance is only 1670, (with exercise 1850) mfp gives me 1370 at a goal of 0.5lb a week, so idk
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    It is a sedentary goal though - I do like to manually enter my exercise. It's more accurate for days I don't do exactly the same amount of exercise.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    i would up it for 2 weeks and maybe see a doctor when it wont get any better
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Your calories look OK. There could be something going on with you medically. Fatigue, tired and unable to fall asleep are symptoms of low thyroid. I know because I have had hypothyroidism for several years and when I have those symptoms is always a signal that I need a blood test again to see if my results are still in the normal range. If your symptoms continue I suggest that you have blood work to see where you are. It is a very simple blood test and some states now allow you to order your own blood tests for certain things. And the cost is reasonable. I paid 28.00 for my blood test two weeks ago. Good luck.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Agree with the advice to up your calories a couple hundred or adjust your macros, especially on strength training workout days, or any days you feel like you might need them
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Agree with the advice to up your calories a couple hundred or adjust your macros, especially on strength training workout days, or any days you feel like you might need them

Wouldn't that wipe out my deficit though? Since I'm already set to lose just 0.5lb a week?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Wouldn't that wipe out my deficit though? Since I'm already set to lose just 0.5lb a week?

Well you said you're only two weeks in, so it's possible you're creating a bigger deficit than you think. 0.5 lbs per week is still a deficit of 1750 calories per week. Even if you had to spare a bit of that to feel a bit better, it would be worth it. If you don't want to "spend" the calories, you could try tweaking your macros and see if that helps. But worst case scenario you maintain for a bit and learn something about yourself and this process
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options

Well you said you're only two weeks in, so it's possible you're creating a bigger deficit than you think. 0.5 lbs per week is still a deficit of 1750 calories per week. Even if you had to spare a bit of that to feel a bit better, it would be worth it. If you don't want to "spend" the calories, you could try tweaking your macros and see if that helps. But worst case scenario you maintain for a bit and learn something about yourself and this process

I think I'll try setting my deficit to 1200 p/week. That's 171 a day, for a weight loss of a little over 1 pound a month. It will be super slow. But it will come off, eventually.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    I think my body may be used to maintaining. I've maintained for 2 years before I decided to lose again.

Maybe my body is finding it difficult to eat less now for some reason.
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree about checking into thyroid blood work if you don't see an improvement with other changes. You mention taking a multivitamin, does it have good levels of iron? Magnesium? Potassium? B vitamins? From my understanding a deficiency in any of these could cause fatigue.

Another possibility- flu? The flu strand I caught right after Christmas had me exhausted, but I never really had any intense coughing, etc. Just exhausted with a fever and headache.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Also have iron checked. My daughter felt this sort of fatigue that was out of proportion when she was anemic.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    Centrum has all the vitamins and minerals. This particular one is high in B vitamins, because it's geared towards active people. I do take an extra magnesium supplement though.

Potassium is 80mg p tablet, and iron is 8mg p tablet.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Could try opening your diary for a quick review of food choices