Gym

Options
I read in the papers that you didn't need exercise to lose weight and that diet was the best form to shed the pounds. but in my experience you need both.i lost 6 stone a few years ago and was hitting the gym 4/5 times a week and the weight fell off within 5 months.due to an injury (falling off the wagon)stupidly put most of it back on.so I did the same diet last year but with no gym and didnt get anywhere near the results I got from the first time.so my conclusion is you need both to succeed.if you exercise your more inclined not to cheat

Replies

• Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love my exercise. I visit the gym three days a week. But I much prefer being outside. I ride to work as many days as I can a week and I tackle mountain bike trails between 15-20km three times a week.
    I have never being able to lose with just diet. I find that with exercise I get faster and better results. I also don't tend to lose weight. With all my exercise my shape changes and I appear to be building muscles.
    The trick is to eat wholesome, good foods that fuel your body well so that you can get out there and have fun doing great activities that will help you change your shape and increase fitness.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't hurt in the weight loss dept., but it is a minor contributor compared to diet. :)
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Sorry it's completely about the size of your calorie deficit. The reason why you were able to lose more when you exercises was because while exercising you burned calories, which in turn made your deficit larger.

When you did the same diet with no exercise you weren't in as large of a deficit because you didn't have the same calorie burn.

I do agree exercise makes it easier to lose weight but eating 1800 calories is exactly the same as eating 1900 and then burning 100 through cardio.

Not to mention exercise has all kinds of great benefits to overallbhealth.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it is ALL about how much you eat.

exercise can help create a larger deficit, and allow you to eat slightly more, but again, it comes down to FOOD.

• Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out. As long as you're at a deficit, you will lose weight (there might be some extreme cases where this isn't true, but for almost everyone, it holds true). So you can lose weight without working out, if you choose. But there are MANY benefits to working out besides losing weight and putting on muscle. Everyone has different goals with their health, so it highly depends on what your personal goals are with regards to whether or not the gym is right for you.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i agree its all about calorie intake, but i just think if you are making changes and you can exercise its just best to do it. Seen many posts where an OP is losing weight but still not happy with how they look and then told to lift heavy etc. So if you can from the start why not?