advice needed - do i need to adjust my goals?

Options
hi - I have set my goal to 1lb per week - I am aiming to lose 20lbs in all - however now that I'm a few pounds down (4lb) I am wondering if MFP will automatically adjust my daily allowed calorie intake to ensure I maintain a 1lb/wk loss? or do i need to reset my goals (to the same but with a different starting weight) - i'm thinking if not, when hit say a 10lb loss, my basic calorie need will be reduced - but does MFP automatically change my allowed intake based on my lower body weight (hope this makes sense!) thanks!

Replies

• webtoad
    webtoad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It seems too. I have noticed that my recommended intake has been decreasing. This makes sense as the more of us that there is, the more energy required.
  • tara2502
    tara2502 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    great thanks - will wait to see it adjust automatically so :smile:
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    MFP didn't use to do it - it just notified you when you reached a certain level of weight loss that it would reset your goal. I haven't noticed that changing, but it might have. Just wanted to add that if ALL you have to lose is 20 lbs to be at your ideal weight, a 1lb per week goal is going to be too agressive especially for the last pounds. It will get harder to do that, and such a high deficit is more likely to make you lose a lot of muscle along with the fat.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes it definitely does adjust automatically. And I'd second the comments by @Maaike84, I'd recommend you slow down to a maximum of 0.5lb per week for the reasons given. I know it's tempting to go all in but you need to retain as much LBM as you can - and your sanity! :smiley:
  • tara2502
    Options
    thanks guys - my plan is 20lbs in 20 weeks - at a goal of 1lb per week, I thought I'd probably lose more than that in the first couple of weeks, giving me a head start (true so far as only 2.5 weeks in and 4lb down) - and figured if I kept with the same calorie deficit then the weight loss will naturally slow down anyway to about 0.5lb/week anyway - will see how it goes over the next few weeks. thanks so much for advice.
  • tara2502
    Options
    I should add that I am being quite sensible, eating the right amount of food to keep my calorie intake up - I have also deliberately not cut out any particular food groups as want to keep variety in my diet for sanity (and health!) - so I think I'm ok(?)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it does reduce automatically, and I have tested this. It gives you a message inviting you to re-run goals after a loss of 10 lbs but doesn't do it for you.

The people who think it auto adjusts may not be just logging weight but actually re-running goals (intentionally or otherwise).
  • tara2502
    Options
    thanks - will drop a few more lbs then and reset the goals anyway to be sure I'm on the right track.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The hard part of losing only. 5lbs per week is the deficit is so small you can easily go over your intake. 250 calories is a table spoon of butter and a lick of the peanut butter knife..
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It does not automatically recalculate for me. I weigh in each Monday and log my new weight. Then I go to settings and choose update diary/fitness profile. The new weight is already there. Then choose accept. Only then does my new calorie goal change. This week I lost 2.2lbs and only after updating profile my calorie goal dropped by 20.