Lifting weights

Options
Hi just a question.when I log my exercise for the day on tracker it gives me the calories for cardio but not weights which I tend to do more of.any answered would be helpful x

Replies

• ThankUniverse
    ThankUniverse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to myfitnesspal and found this to be problematic, since much of my training involves weights where I know from my heart rate monitor that my heart rate is often just as elevated as with cardio sessions.

Quoting myfitnesspal: "Our program currently calculates calories for exercises logged in our "Cardiovascular" section only. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you like, you can search for the same or similar exercise in our "Cardiovascular" database. If you can not find the exercise, you can search for the exercise "Strength training" in the cardiovascular database, but please be aware that this is only a rough estimate, and can be fairly inaccurate.

If you know how many calories you have burned via a heart rate monitor or other tracking device, you can add a custom exercise to your personal database."

Of course it depends on the kind of weight training you do. I use a heart rate monitor watch that factors in my weight, age and heart rate while I am training. It gives me a caloric burn estimate and I usually burn just as much during intense weight sessions as I do during cardio sessions, especially if I do circuit style strength. An article that generally estimates how many calories you burn during strength training bouts is in this link: http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=you_asked_how_many_calories_does_strength_training_burn

Best Wishes!
  • greenrpg
    greenrpg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm new to myfitnesspal and found this to be problematic, since much of my training involves weights where I know from my heart rate monitor that my heart rate is often just as elevated as with cardio sessions.

Quoting myfitnesspal: "Our program currently calculates calories for exercises logged in our "Cardiovascular" section only. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you like, you can search for the same or similar exercise in our "Cardiovascular" database. If you can not find the exercise, you can search for the exercise "Strength training" in the cardiovascular database, but please be aware that this is only a rough estimate, and can be fairly inaccurate.

If you know how many calories you have burned via a heart rate monitor or other tracking device, you can add a custom exercise to your personal database."

Of course it depends on the kind of weight training you do. I use a heart rate monitor watch that factors in my weight, age and heart rate while I am training. It gives me a caloric burn estimate and I usually burn just as much during intense weight sessions as I do during cardio sessions, especially if I do circuit style strength. An article that generally estimates how many calories you burn during strength training bouts is in this link: http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=you_asked_how_many_calories_does_strength_training_burn

Best Wishes!

Thank you