Macros and calories not lining up

Options
Anyone having this problem? My calories current are 4000

Carbs 551g
Protein 250g
Fats 88g

If I hit the macronutrient target (which I do) then my calorie intake at times adds up to more than 4,000. Always seems to be over by 100-200 cals. Is this down to the labels on packaging being incorrect or am I missing something?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MFP database entries are often inaccurate, but the more common cause is macro rounding error on every item you log. This rounding error on the macros can be significant, especially if you eat high calorie.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you don't stress over macro ratios so much. It's not really a big deal despite what some people might be trying to sell. You have a lot of calories to play with so just enjoy your eating and don't worry about hitting arbitrary targets. As long as you hit your min protein and fat and aren't intentionally restricting carbs or fat you'll end up with a pretty resonable mix anyway. Just make sensible food choices and you'll be fine.
  • joelacy11
    joelacy11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cool, I'm high calorie the min as Im trying to gain. Any advice on how to combat this?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    joelacy11 wrote: »
    Cool, I'm high calorie the min as Im trying to gain. Any advice on how to combat this?

Could you clarify on what you would like to combat?

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

It's rounding. Math can't be beaten.

The nutritional information doesn't calculate calories from macros but from a separate test. The label might have 5 grams of fat and 47 of the calories in the calories box are from fat. That's 2 extra calories right there. That rounding adds up over the course of the day.

A 100-200 calorie difference between the calorie column and calculating calories from macros for a 4000 calorie diet is basically spot-on.

If you want to pick which is more precise, that's likely the calories. However, calorie and macro counting are all about estimates anyway. We can't know the precise nutritional content of individual items, all we can do is get as close as possible with the info available.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Me personally, I hit my calorie goal and aim for a little over my desired fat and protein minimums, then let the carbs fall where they may. Going a little over your protein and fat minimums gives insurance to account for any macro rounding shenanigans.
  • joelacy11
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Me personally, I hit my calorie goal and aim for a little over my desired fat and protein minimums, then let the carbs fall where they may. Going a little over your protein and fat minimums gives insurance to account for any macro rounding shenanigans.

Great help thanks
  • joelacy11
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

It's rounding. Math can't be beaten.

The nutritional information doesn't calculate calories from macros but from a separate test. The label might have 5 grams of fat and 47 of the calories in the calories box are from fat. That's 2 extra calories right there. That rounding adds up over the course of the day.

A 100-200 calorie difference between the calorie column and calculating calories from macros for a 4000 calorie diet is basically spot-on.

If you want to pick which is more precise, that's likely the calories. However, calorie and macro counting are all about estimates anyway. We can't know the precise nutritional content of individual items, all we can do is get as close as possible with the info available.

Thank you, helped me out a lot
  • joelacy11
    Options

Its good, sorted now
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Its good, sorted now

Enjoy your bulk.
  • joelacy11
    Options

Its good, sorted now

Enjoy your bulk.

Oh don't worry, I am :smiley:
  • mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Discovered day ago :D, Some foods contain things such as polyols (they give for ex. 2 calories for 1 carb. or 3 calories for 1 carb. etc) hope you get it :)