Tips for losing weight when you work in an office 730am - 5pm

Options
Really finding it hard to lose weight - Work is quite stressful don't get much if any time to exercise as I have a 2 year old who doesn't sleep still.

Looking for some helpful hints or tips for someone stationary at their desk most of the day - Getting up and walking around may seem like a good option but I am so busy its hard.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about your caloric intake, exercise is for health.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I work 7.30 to 3.30 during the week. I park a distance from the office so have to walk there and back every day. And finishing early means I can go to the gym before it's too crazy.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I work those hours. Under desk cycle has helped. Pre measuring and logging helps. I drink a lot of water during the day, jumping jacks in front of the printer while waiting for my paper stack to spit out, squats and calf raises by the microwave while my lunch is rotating. Look for something every hour that can take a minute and pump your blood. I don't count it for extra calories, just for feeling better.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Losing weight is all about your caloric intake, exercise is for health.

This. If you're talking about fitting in exercise, here are a couple of threads on the topic:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35352486

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33342558
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I walk on my lunch hour, weather permitting & the gym is less than mile from work...I stop on my way home. I also stay out of the break room, drink a ton of water & eat at my desk.

The work stress WILL NOT rule my life...and believe me, there's plenty of it
  • salsup317
    salsup317 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work 7-7 shift, and have started running at 4:30 am. I know maybe not practical for some, but it's a decision I made so I could get my workout in. If you are looking for straight weight loss, it's all about CICO. That being said, you body feels better when you move it. Take the stairs, stretch every time you stand up, that kind of thing. Maybe find a 30 minute video you can do after putting your little one to bed. Once you take the small steps, you'll be able to see where you can gradually add more.
  • cmcmurray88
    cmcmurray88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - I try to follow a 1200-1500 calorie diet but tbh I always by 330 end up needing some sort of chocolate to help me through. I have to pick my little one up from nursery so I cant park further away as he needs picked up literally as I arrive and if there is traffic its a nightmare even when I leave on time.

Im trying to drink more water but I find it difficult - Thanks all for replying its appreciated.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I work 7:30 - 5pm as well: Here's a couple things I do when I can't hit the gym...I start the morning with squat, push-up, burpee sets. 10 air-squats, 10 pushups, 10 burpees X 3 sets. Then I hit the shower. This honestly takes just a few minutes. Then every time I hit the bathroom at work I work in an extra set of squats. I work a desk job, so weather permitting: I walk on my lunch and eat lunch at my desk. When I get home I work in a pair of 15 lb free weights. Flys, skull crushers, overhead presses, DB rows, and triceps dips off a dining room chair. I also invested in my own pull up bar. At first I couldn't do a pull up, so you can use a resistance band for help until you can hold your own weight. But the reality is: YOU need to work it in. It has to be a priority otherwise you will make an excuse not to do it. My bikini is proudly hung on my pull up bar! That visual reminder is all I need to keep my *kitten* moving when I really just want to sit down and binge-watch Fringe on Netflix! ;)
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - I try to follow a 1200-1500 calorie diet but tbh I always by 330 end up needing some sort of chocolate to help me through. I have to pick my little one up from nursery so I cant park further away as he needs picked up literally as I arrive and if there is traffic its a nightmare even when I leave on time.

Im trying to drink more water but I find it difficult - Thanks all for replying its appreciated.

Try to preplan your 3:30 snack. You can definitely budget in some chocolate that time of day, but make it one or two pieces, rather than a whole candy bar from the vending machine. If drinking more water is difficult, get a water bottle or two to keep at your desk. Both of these are things that have worked for me.
    Good luck!

• sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work 7.45-5pm Mon-Thurs and 7.45-1pm Friday and my commute is an hour each way so I feel your pain! I will plan my meals a week in advance and pre-log my food. If I have time I do some batch cooking on the weekend and portion it all up and stick some in the freezer.

I usually feel like I need something around that time too, although I've slowly weaned myself off eating then. I know I'm doing it because I'm bored/stressed rather than being hungry. I've started having a nice coffee or cup of tea around 3.30 instead of something to eat and I've also copied a load of motivational quotes and have set them as private meetings so they pop up to try and help me stay away from the mindless snacking.

Each day I have a large water container I fill up each day and will go through that throughout the day too, which helps and I have a small portion of chocolate every day almost, just worked into my calories.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you eat chocolate at 3:30, try dark chocolate instead or a handful of almonds.
    Nuts are packed with protein and will keep you fuller for a longer amount of time.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    my little one is also 2 and a terrible sleeper. Am like a zombie on some days. I really pushed things around to make room for exercise though, and it helps so much in feeling better and more energized. Even though you could in principle lose weight without exercise, I find that when you live life in a deficit, even extra 200-300 calories make a difference. I weaned myself off chocolate to pick me up, eating chocolate and cookies just led to stronger cravings. I now eat pre-planned snacks, usually fruit, yogurt or vegetables. Picking him up doesn't give you much time to work out or walk but can you do it when you get home? Can you work out during the weekend? Can someone else pick him up once a week? I used my kids as an excuse for ages, but for me, the truth was that when I wanted to MAKE time (not find but make), I did it. I have a v supportive husband though so that is on my side. GL - it is not easy w the little ones.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Work any extra steps you can into your work day. After work when you are home stay active with your child. Exercise doesn't have to be in a gym or a class or anything organized, and all movement burns more calories than begin sedentary. Playing is great exercise. Dance, run, crawl, swing, etc. It will do you and the child good.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgxuAKSa6OM
    he does a vid on desk workouts
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am not a parent and work shorter hours (9am - 5.30pm) but regarding the mid afternoon snack, as others have said pre-plan log it and work it in to your calories, I will sometimes have chocolate or a biscuit (cookie) or sometimes a banana or even both. I have a 1400 day limit, I tend to view my calories more as a weekly thing though so if I over indulge one day then cut back or run a little further the next.

I do work out but I am only just getting back in to exercise. As others have suggested do small things, I have used fitness blender recently, it's a free workout video site, you can even put in 15min workout, no equipment needed. I am going to collect my kettlebell I bought today (only £22 on Amazon) so I can now have kettlebell workouts, I live in a professional share, so these are all done in my room (hardly massive), so not much space or storage needed.

Also take your kid for a run/to the park if he's a bad sleeper this could help him too. You don't mention any family support but as others have said if possible try and get someone to help with him, so you get some me time. My friend just had a second child (her daughter is 3 months) her son is 2 and a half, she has started going to the gym for an hour to get some me time in, neither of her children are in nursery/pre-school.

Good luck!
  • NatalieThomas90
    NatalieThomas90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a very sedentary desk job. I'm in a tiny office - so nowhere to walk and like yourself I'm usually too busy to be wandering about aimlessly.

So rather than parking close to work ive started parking 15 mins away. Not too far that I cant dash to my car during an emergency but far enough away to at least put 30 mins of brisk walking into my day.
    its not a lot, but its a start!

x
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I also work this schedule. To get more activity during the work day I take the stairs (work on the fourth floor), pace in front of the microwave, and force myself to get up from my desk and do a loop around the hall every two hours or so. It only takes 2-3 minutes, but feels good to move around. I also drink water from a mug rather than a water bottle so I have to get up more, but if drinking enough water is hard for you, then I would suggest keeping a large bottle at your desk.

I also tend to get hungry and crave chocolate around 3. I keep a container of Nestle hot chocolate powder at my desk. Just mix it up with hot water and a little creamer, and I am good. I do make sure it fits into my calories (less than 100). I bring my lunch with me to work, and log as much of my day including dinner as possible in the morning to see how my calories look for the day and what I can fit in or will need to cut out.

I consistently lost weight for several weeks doing this and not much more exercise (I have been getting a lot more exercise the last 3 weeks). You just have to watch your calorie input.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

OK, I'll be the bad guy. Stop making excuses. Your posts are full of them. If you want to lose weight, eat in a calorie deficit. The end. Track and log all your food, plan out your meals for the day so you have energy and feel full AND stay under your goal. Eating in a "range", sometimes, but "I have to eat chocolate"... no. That's why you're not losing weight. That's the truth. Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest a book by Laura Stack, "Leave the Office Earlier" or "Find more Time".

http://theproductivitypro.com/books/

I swear doing the included survey and reading even one chapter will free you up enough time to do more for yourself. This way you can start a cycle of freed up time, more exercise, increased energy, more efficient, freed up time.... Now, I'm an empty-nester now so I don't have many responsibilities in my evening. Even so, I am very productive with the same number of hours in the office that you have.

Now, a two year old can blow the best-laid plans out the window....
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have a long commute (45 minutes one way), work long hours in a stressful office job.
    I park as far away from the door as possible. When I go to the bathroom, I take the long way and walk up and down a flight of stairs. I get up very early and go to the gym before work, as I know I will be too tired after work. I can imagine how much more difficult it is with a toddler. All you can do is the best that you can.
    Try to remember that weight loss is mostly about eating less calories than you burn. Allow for the chocolate, or any other food you really like. Work it into your daily calories.
    Best of luck to you!