How to deal with heart burn without the use of OTC medications...

Options
I'm not a big proponent of using OTC heartburn/reflux medications (Nexium/Tums/Prilosec/Zantex, etc.).

Curious how some of you keep it at bay without turning to meds and avoiding any sort of food that might cause heart burn/reflux?

TIA

Replies

• NatalieThomas90
    NatalieThomas90 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Since I've cut down my calories I suffer heartburn almost every day!
    I cant see any rhyme or reason to it.

interesting thread!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Look through your food diary and see if any foods could be setting this off.
    Ex: Chili or alcohol are triggers for me.
    Sometimes high fat foods like chips or high fat dessert.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Depending on how bad it is, it might be a matter of figuring out trigger foods and then avoiding those foods. I can't seem to identify specific trigger foods for mine. However, I am supposed to avoid "acidic" foods for another annoying medical condition. When I am being good about avoiding the triggers for that condition (tomatoes, spicy foods, sodas, apples, oranges, etc.), my heartburn usually goes away.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eating an apple actually helps mine. A few good burps later and it's usually gone or dulled.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Milk?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Peppermint helps some people. Spend a few calories on a hard candy.
    Or there's the old standby of baking soda. Mix a spoonful into a glass of water.
    That's only a temporary solution, as it neutralizes some of the acid.
    The OTC medicines actually reduce the production of acid.

Keep a little notebook in your pocket, write down when it happens & the circumstances:
    activity, what have you eaten in the last couple hours, stress, what are you doing...

Mine was mostly at night, but when I
    a - lost weight
    b - did not eat for several hours before bed (at least 4)
    it pretty much disappeared.
    Can also elevate your head at night (pillows, or the whole head of the bed).
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but have read that a little apple cider vinegar helps to alleviate heartburn although it seems counter intuitive.

Of course there is always Tums.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've fought it over the years - including with Prilosec, Tums, Nexium, and watching all the trigger foods. Things have been going great for months!

Then, I had a 6" Subway sandwich on Friday for dinner before a rehearsal at 6 pm, and I imagine the banana peppers, Chipotle sauce, onions and all the raw veggies kicked things into gear. It hit me at about 10:30 pm that night. And the heartburn stuck around all weekend which I didn't really help with all of my food choices - including spicy Superbowl party food (chili, meatballs, red wine, chocolate cake).

I know that all contributes as a recipe for the heartburn. It only acts up occasionally, but when it does I'm just wondering about tips and tricks to slap it back down without reaching for medications. I'll try some Tums after the next few more bland meals as I feel the Tums are less evasive than the other OTC solutions.

• erwende
    erwende Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I cut down or eliminate gluten my heartburn goes away!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    milk

a bit of baking soda and water
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    peppermint tea
    avoiding beer
    keeping my weight under 155
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I used to have horrible heartburn and reflux, and was on prescription-level Prevacid. My doctor told me I should try coming off it after I lost 60+ pounds. He told me it may or may not work, as it's not always extra weight that causes the reflux. The very next day I stopped taking the medication, but within 48 hours the acid production and reflux symptoms rebounded so ferociously that I had to back on the medication. After that failure, I decided to try tapering the dose (under the guidance of my gastroenterologist). I went to daily half-doses, then quarter doses, then quarter doses every other day, then every three days, and finally not at all. It took me about three months to come off them completely. I've not had problems with heartburn or reflux since September of 2012 now.

Edited to add - for me, it turned out the extra weight I was carrying was my only trigger. I can eat anything now, and I don't get heartburn symptoms.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but have read that a little apple cider vinegar helps to alleviate heartburn although it seems counter intuitive.

Of course there is always Tums.

Yup vinegar or lemon. Forces your stomach to produce more mucus and helps with acidity.

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    That baking soda and water thing works but it is really high in sodium, fyi
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't get it that often anymore...I just take some Tums when I do. Tums is only calcium carbonate...it also works well as a calcium supplement for people who don't get enough in their diet and it also works pretty good for cramps...I keep some with me on long rides.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Probably sounds weird but drinking water always helps me. I'm also a big tums user when needed but I hadn't had heartburn for YEARS before I got pregnant.
    Watch the tomato based foods and chocolate. those can cause it pretty easily.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My triggers are high doses of fat, tomatoes, and spicy food. I've heard the Apple Cider vinegar thing, and have tried the bicarb soda thing when I was out of chewables, it did work in the short term.

Losing weight has improved my GERD out of sight.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Thanks all. Lots of good suggestions.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Changing my diet (less fried foods, less tomato-based sauces) and losing weight all but eliminated my heartburn. I still get it occasionally, but nowhere near the frequency I used to. That being said, sipping milk will help you, too :)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    Doctors do not recommend drinking milk to reduce heartburn, as it has been proven that milk temporarily reduces the symptoms only to later increase acid production by the stomach, which causes more heartburn.

Myths About Heartburn Debunked | Prilosec OTC
    www.prilosecotc.com/en-us/tips-faq/heartburn-myths