Questions to the Experts! BMR and Weight

Options
Question re: BMR
If one has been under eating (for years)- consuming less than BMR amount should be and they start to eat to the BMR level plus the calories needed to ‘cover’ the physical exercise throughout the day, will that person stay the same weight? I’m assuming it would, however, with messing with one’s eating (under eating) for years, must do some strange things to one’s metabolism too?

Also are there some good BMR/RMR online calculators you might know of?

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Join the group on here
    Eat more to weigh less it's got great info on it
    Healthyeater.com is good
    Flexible dieting macro calculator

Remember if you don't eat enough your body eats your muscle which equals to less calories burned more muscle more cals burned
    It will take a little while for your body to adjust but I think it's never to late to change
    What happens if we eat too low is we can't eat the same amount of calories as someone who never under ate that's why readjusting your body's best to reset it
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Your body does get use to eating so little. You would have to gradually up your calories at a really slow pase or else youd get sick or gain weight or both
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that when eating at that low of a calorie level for that long, the body has started consuming lean mass (muscles) ... what that does it lower your BMR below what the calculators would predict. If I were in that situation, I'd start seriously lifting weights several times a week while slowly increasing calorie intake to my TDEE.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Why would you be eating under your BMR and why for so long? That's asking for malnurishment in a big way, but I'm thinking you aren't really eating under your BMR. Eating a very low calorie diet will lead to Adapative Thermogensis, which will lower you BMR a bit, but it's not the nearly mythical starvation mode.

Are you suffering from an ED? If so you should seek medical advice or consult with your current treatment team if you already have one.

As for your question about calculators, there are plenty around, just Google and grab the first one as the formulas are standard.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If a person eats under her BMR for years, she will be losing weight that entire time. If she has not been losing, she's not eating under her BMR. That's the first thing that this question brought to my mind. Theoretically, though, if a person ate, let's say, at BMR-100 and then started eating at BMR+exercise, she would add no mass. It is possible that there would be an increase in weight due to an increase in water weight.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If a person eats under her BMR for years, she will be losing weight that entire time. If she has not been losing, she's not eating under her BMR. That's the first thing that this question brought to my mind. Theoretically, though, if a person ate, let's say, at BMR-100 and then started eating at BMR+exercise, she would add no mass. It is possible that there would be an increase in weight due to an increase in water weight.

Bingo