Calories I should eat

Options
jakeziskin1
jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 28, male, 200 pounds. I'm not exactly sure how many calories a day I should eat to lose weight. I was looking to eat 1800 a day but also goto the gym and burn 500 cal a day on the elliptical. Is this dangerous, only eating 1300 a day. I was only going to eat this little for a few weeks and then bump back to 1900-2000 daily. I was thinking two weeks tops this low?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    When you put your information into MFP with a goal to lose 1-1.5 pounds per week, what calorie goal does MFP give you? Keep in mind this is BEFORE exercise. So if you burn 500 in the gym, you should consider eating an additional 250 or so calories. (Its easy to overestimate gym calories, so eat back a portion instead of the full amount.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1,500 is the minimum for men. If you're exercising a lot, you should eat more to fuel your activity.

If you put your goals and stats into MFP, it should generate a calorie goal for you. This would be a good place to start -- and you can then eat back some or all of the calories you burn through exercise.

Yes, it is dangerous to under-nourish yourself.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Don't use mfp use ones online

Healthyeater.com is good

Flexible dieting macro calculator
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    It says eat 1900 a day to burn 2 lbs a week. I can do that no problem. I'd be happy to eat 1900, but I goto the gym every day even Sunday's. So I lose 500 daily on the elliptical or treadmill. I don't eat back my burned calories so that would be 1400 a day. If you could let me know what would be the
    danger of that If any? Thanks all! I'm trying to redo this right.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Don't use mfp use ones online

Healthyeater.com is good

Flexible dieting macro calculator

Thanks a lot, I'll definitely check it out! Also in regards to my low-calorie diet. I was only going to do this for 2 to 3 weeks. I don't want to do any damage to my health, but I feel that if I ate low calories for just a few weeks I'm sure I would be OK and lose some pounds.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It says eat 1900 a day to burn 2 lbs a week. I can do that no problem. I'd be happy to eat 1900, but I goto the gym every day even Sunday's. So I lose 500 daily on the elliptical or treadmill. I don't eat back my burned calories so that would be 1400 a day. If you could let me know what would be the
    danger of that If any? Thanks all! I'm trying to redo this right.

What's the rush?
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    And of course I take dieting serious. I've lost 40lbs in 4 months. Just need 10 more off, I exercise and lift weights everyday. I just want tips on this low calorie diet
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    And of course I take dieting serious. I've lost 40lbs in 4 months. Just need 10 more off, I exercise and lift weights everyday. I just want tips on this low calorie diet

If you're getting close to your goal, you probably want to lose fat and not muscle, right? Rapid weight loss -- like what you're talking about -- is going to target your muscle, not your fat.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    So what do you think I should do, how much should I eat and burn you honk?
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    Think*
  • janejellyroll
    Options

When I was losing weight, I used the calorie goals provided by MFP and ate back about 50% of my exercise calories (to account for over-estimations in the database information). Is there a reason why this wouldn't work for you?
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    With 10lbs left to lose I'd think your goal should be .5lb a week.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    How many times are you going to ask this question? I think you've posted it 4 times. People have given you all kinds of advice.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    How many times are you going to ask this question? I think you've posted it 4 times. People have given you all kinds of advice.

Parent Lee not you. Give me a favor and stay out of my posts if you have nothing nice to say. I come on here looking for advice or criticism or nasty people thank you.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

The app says you can lose up to 2 pounds a week. That's what I'd like to do
  • janejellyroll
    Options

The app will give *everyone* the option to lose two pounds a week, even if it isn't the safest or best option for them. There are multiple circumstances when two pounds a week isn't an appropriate goal. That includes situations where someone is close to goal or doesn't have much weight to lose.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options

When I was losing weight, I used the calorie goals provided by MFP and ate back about 50% of my exercise calories (to account for over-estimations in the database information). Is there a reason why this wouldn't work for you?

It says I should eat 1900 cal. So if I lose 500, I should be back to 50. That would be 1650 cal a day. OK I can do that, is that going to affect my muscle in a negative way
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It says I should eat 1900 cal. So if I lose 500, I should be back to 50. That would be 1650 cal a day. OK I can do that, is that going to affect my muscle in a negative way

Yeah -- if you have a deficit to lose 2 pounds a week (which you say you do) and you increase the size of that deficit even more through exercise (which you say you're planning to do), then you will be targeting your muscle -- not fat. The 1,900 goal from MFP already puts you at a deficit.

If you're burning 500 through exercise, you should be adding at least 250 to what you're eating.
  • jakeziskin1
    Options

The app will give *everyone* the option to lose two pounds a week, even if it isn't the safest or best option for them. There are multiple circumstances when two pounds a week isn't an appropriate goal. That includes situations where someone is close to goal or doesn't have much weight to lose.

I have 15-20lbs to go. I want to lose 2 pounds a week if that's OK
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I have 15-20lbs to go. I want to lose 2 pounds a week if that's OK

It sounds like you're going to do it regardless of what people advise. What are you hoping to get out of these threads?