Body Weight Exercise

I want to maintain my weight, which I've been doing for awhile. However, I would like to drop my BF% by a couple points. Right now I can't afford the gym. Will body weight exercise and proper protein consumption get me there? I'm 160 lb, 5'10", currently around 25% and would like to be 23%. If not what is the most cost effective equipment that would help with this?

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited February 2016
    Bodyweight exercise can achieve your goals.

I personally prefer "You are Your Own Gym" because it's bodyweight and includes progression that, while not necessarily the same as adding more weight to the bar like you would in the gym, helps you keep the workouts challenging. Unlike recurring gym fees, all you have to do is pay once for the book / app.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I second the suggestion for YAYOG. There are other programs, but this is the one I use. While technically you don't need any equpment, having a set of dip bars and a doorway or wallmount pullup bar (or a power tower if you have the $$ and space) helps immensely for pulling exercises (pushups only take you so far, although there's handstands to strive for...).
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Thirding YAYOG. I finished the beginner's plan, am almost done with intermediate, and it has done more for me in terms of building muscle and overall functional fitness than anything else I've tried. I don't think I'll be nearly ready for the next level after this round of intermediate, so my plan is to redo the entire intermediate program again after I finish (and it's a varied enough program that I don't mind repeating it).

I also like that it plans the progression for you, it keeps things balanced.

I use suspension straps (jungle gym xt, similar to a TRX but separate straps instead of one connection point) for some of the exercises, though you can get away with what you have around the house. Personally I've found for some of the exercises (like "let me ups" which are basically rows), my dining room table made some ominous creaks, so I switched to the straps before I had to explain to my spouse that i broke the table.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    I'm going to throw out Darebee.com. Completely free and really good. It has tons of different programs and challenges to keep things interesting a fun. A big plus that the creators of the site/programs are always reading the comments/posts and chime in to answer questions.
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Thanks everyone I will look in to those workouts :)