Any advice for bulking?

Options
Trying to bulk heavy over the next few months. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Trying to bulk heavy over the next few months. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. @juggernaut1974 link is very good.
    2. Recognize it's going to take quite a good amount of time to get great results
    3. Before you bulk, have a solid platform of lifting already worked out

• brandoncote9397
    brandoncote9397 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a workout plan and I've done this before. It's just my problem was always eating right and taking in the right amount of calories
  • mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If you already have calories to maintain, add 300-500 above and eat same erryday to build ur muscles
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    "First off, find out what your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is. Go on google, put in your age, sex, weight, height, and activity level. This is the number of calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN weight.

To gain weight, you need to eat +500 calories a week for 1lb /week of weight gain. That is probably too hard, so I recommend aiming for +250 calories over your TDEE for 0.5lb / week of weight gain. Track everythign you put in your mouth with a food scale and a my fitness pal account. You NEED to find high caloric foods that are easy to eat. Examples are:

-Spreadables: Peanut butter, nutella, those flavored peanut butter spreads, etc.
    -Liquid: Whole Milk, Olive oil (filled with healthy fats but lots of calories per tablespoon... I used to just take shots when I was underweight and needed more calories before bed).
    -Shakes: I used to make shakes with whole fat milk, olive oil, chocolate protein, peanut butter, bananas, etc. If you don't mind 'dirty' foods, add in ice cream too! You can easily make 1000 calorie shakes if you want!

If you are OK with it, you can 'dirty bulk' meaning having high calorie foods that are not exactly known for being healthy. So things like fast food, ice cream, pizza, whatever. If you don't want that, stick to the things I listed above.

Cheers!

Edit: Just a reminder to track your calories - underweight people overestimate how much they are eating, and overweight people underestimate it. Tracking what you eat will be a full time job, but you need to do it for at least 3 weeks until you have an idea of how much you should eat daily. 3 weeks is what it takes to build a habit / make it routine. GOOD LUCK!"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have a workout plan and I've done this before. It's just my problem was always eating right and taking in the right amount of calories

what workout plan are you going to follow?

• brandoncote9397
    Options
    Heavy weights low reps. I'm working out 6 days a week. So Monday-Saturday and Sunday is rest day. I do chest,tris, and shoulders Monday. Then bicep and back Tuesday. Then legs Wednesday. Then I just repeat
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Heavy weights low reps. I'm working out 6 days a week. So Monday-Saturday and Sunday is rest day. I do chest,tris, and shoulders Monday. Then bicep and back Tuesday. Then legs Wednesday. Then I just repeat

Is this a self designed program or a proven structured program?
  • brandoncote9397
    Options
    Definitely self designed lol. It's worked for me in the past so I figured I'd just do it again
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Definitely self designed lol. It's worked for me in the past so I figured I'd just do it again

Honestly, I would probably gravitate more towards a structured proven program, unless you have some degree in human physiology. It's quite easy for the individual to become more focused on isometric moves as opposed to compound, which will not provide the best results.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Honestly, I would probably gravitate more towards a structured proven program, unless you have some degree in human physiology. It's quite easy for the individual to become more focused on isometric moves as opposed to compound, which will not provide the best results.

Agreed!

check out strong lifts, Wendler 5/3/1, or PHUL, all structured to increase strength, though I would say 5/3/1 and PHUL better for bulking if you already have a good strength foundation.
  • brandoncote9397
    Options
    Okay I definitely have to check those out then. Thank you guys
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Also check our PPLPPLx - there is a bodybuilding focused variant (coolcicada) or a strength with accessories focused variant (Omar Isuf).