How do you track your progress without a scale?

Options
Before October I was weighing in at my dietician appointments, but my time with the dietician ended. I had a knee injury for a few months and wasn't exercising or logging for a while, and I know I gained a bit since my last weigh in. I've since recovered and I'm logging and doing low-impact exercise now, and I can feel that I've lost a bit. At the moment I'm not in a situation to get a scale at home, and I'm not willing to harass my doctor's office to get weighed every so often.

I'm wondering what are some other ways that you can track your progress? Does anyone else not use a scale or not use one very often? Do you think not having a scale would change the way you motivate yourself?

I'm trying to frame this as a life change, not as a short term diet or weight loss sprint of sorts. I'm losing slowly at a 0.5lb/week setting, and I'm still working at getting my diet regulated so I'm likely losing a bit slower than that. I guess I just want to keep track of something to make sure I am losing, to have another form of accountability.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    How clothes fit
    Measurements (if I remember correctly my measuring tape was about $2 from walmart)
    Pictures
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Measurements would be another good way to track progress, especially if you don't have a scale. They move quite a bit slower than the scale sometimes, but it's a good way to track progress.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Measurements would be another good way to track progress, especially if you don't have a scale. They move quite a bit slower than the scale sometimes, but it's a good way to track progress.

Thanks!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about measurements. You can track them in the same place on MFP as you track weight.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Measurements, progress photos, endurance "test", energy levels, journaling.... That's what I have at the moment.
  • donsbetterhlf
    donsbetterhlf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Measurements and how your clothes are fitting. As shadow2soul said, pictures. Sometimes, it's hard for us, well me anyway, to look in a mirror and see the loss. But, give me a picture, I can see.
    Keep a "picture" diary. Have somebody take a couple of full length pictures, with the date on it, then download them on a disc. Set a time frame to do this Say like, every two weeks, once a month, etc. That way, you'll have something to compare to. You can see picture that was taken say, today, and compare it to one that was taken 3 weeks ago. Good luck!!
  • bjade18
    bjade18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good question! I refuse to step on the scale due to a couple months ago I did and saw a number higher than I ever had. I immediately burst into tears because I didn't feel that big. But yeah now I'm wondering how I'm going to track lol. I think I'm just going to go by clothes considering nothing hardly fits me anymore lol. But I'm trying to lose the weight again!