Creating the habit of food weighing

Options
2»

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the responses so I apologize if these are repeats but here goes:

Use the tare option often. I will put a bowl on the scale, add lettuce - log, tare, add tomato - log, tare, add avocado - log, etc. I do this until my bowl/plate is full or I have logged my target calories. The key is to log cooked meat if you use this method.

Buy snack size baggies and pre-portion your snacks out. This way, you do all your weighing at one time and don't have to bother when you want something. This works for proteins in the freezer as well. Buy your meat, portion it out into freezer bags. Write the weight on the bag and toss it in the freezer. Then you don't have to weigh on cooking day.

Keep a scale at work. I use it to weigh out items that I add into my yogurt or the frozen fruit (kept in the freezer at my work kitchen) I throw into a ninja (also kept at work) for smoothies. I use the tare in between ingredients and log on my phone as I go.

For items like peanut butter, weigh the spoon, scoop then put it back on the scale. It's the easiest way I have found to do things like nut butters, butter, honey, jam, etc. I used to spread it then weigh but if I used more than I wanted, I couldn't put it back easily like I can if I weigh the amount on my spoon.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the pre portioning idea. So simple!
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I keep a magnetic mini-dry erase board and magnetic holder dry-erase pen attached to my metal range-hood. It's right next to the counter with my pretty Ozeri scale where I prepare my food. That way I don't waste paper, since I write down weights every day. amazon.com/Quartet-ReWritables-Dry-Erase-Assorted-79201/dp/B003KGBGOA/ref=pd_sim_229_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41VbZVlYQLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1E202EPW9RJAPJNNJ71M
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Start by just weighing a couple of things you eat consistently. I started with just veggies and fruits at first. Once that became habit I started weighing my cooked food as I prepared my plate. Tare option is a must. It's also cleaner to weigh an entire fruit or vegetable then subtract the peel or tare the cutting board have a waste bowl handy while prepping.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Another tip: if your scale displays negative numbers (most do but not all) you can put a jar or container of something on the scale, tare the scale, and then use some. The negative number will be how much you used. I do this a lot for things like mayo or peanut butter that could get messy to weigh by the spoonful!
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I keep a magnetic mini-dry erase board and magnetic holder dry-erase pen attached to my metal range-hood. It's right next to the counter with my pretty Ozeri scale where I prepare my food. That way I don't waste paper, since I write down weights every day.

Same! I keep my tupperware on the scale, [example] toss in all my berries (prewashed) then write it all behind me on the fridge. On my lunch break at work or the night before (depends when I do food prep), I then log it from the picture I take of it on my phone.

I always do my best to weigh meats raw. I usually buy bulk foods then split them out into two-person meal portions (possibly including lunch the next day depending on the size). Then, once hygienically in the plastic bag, I weigh the meat, put the amount on the bag in Sharpie, then toss it in the freezer for when I need it. Now I never have the excuse for not weighing my food. So far it's help a TON.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I keep a magnetic mini-dry erase board and magnetic holder dry-erase pen attached to my metal range-hood. It's right next to the counter with my pretty Ozeri scale where I prepare my food. That way I don't waste paper, since I write down weights every day. amazon.com/Quartet-ReWritables-Dry-Erase-Assorted-79201/dp/B003KGBGOA/ref=pd_sim_229_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41VbZVlYQLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1E202EPW9RJAPJNNJ71M

This is brilliant! I've been dragging my notebook into the kitchen when I cook dinner, but the fridge white-board is right there. (I'm a little slow sometimes...)

Just start with a few things, and pretty soon you'll start being curious about everything and start weighing more. And pretty soon it will become an unconscious habit. I caught myself weighing the cat's canned food the other night. (That was bad enough, but then I started laughing at myself and my husband came in to find out what so funny... I'm never living that down. never.)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Another tip: if your scale displays negative numbers (most do but not all) you can put a jar or container of something on the scale, tare the scale, and then use some. The negative number will be how much you used. I do this a lot for things like mayo or peanut butter that could get messy to weigh by the spoonful!

Great idea...I will try this.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    If you're making something like a salad, put the bowl on the scale, tare (zero) it, add the first ingredient, note the ingredient & weight; tare again, add the next ingredient, etc.

If you're dipping something out of a container (like peanut butter), or cutting off a hunk of something (like cheese), it may be most convenient to put the storage container (or block of cheese) on the scale, tare, dip out or cut/remove your portion, re-weigh the container or block, and use the negative number on the scale (i.e., the weight of the portion removed, the one you're going to eat) as what you record in your diary (as a positive number, of course :smile: ).

I also like to keep a few washed plastic yogurt-tub lids handy to sit raw or messy things on when I weigh them, so I don't have to wipe the scale as much - just put the lid on the scale & tare before adding the ingredient.
  • TaraTall
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you're making something like a salad, put the bowl on the scale, tare (zero) it, add the first ingredient, note the ingredient & weight; tare again, add the next ingredient, etc.

If you're dipping something out of a container (like peanut butter), or cutting off a hunk of something (like cheese), it may be most convenient to put the storage container (or block of cheese) on the scale, tare, dip out or cut/remove your portion, re-weigh the container or block, and use the negative number on the scale (i.e., the weight of the portion removed, the one you're going to eat) as what you record in your diary (as a positive number, of course :smile: ).

I also like to keep a few washed plastic yogurt-tub lids handy to sit raw or messy things on when I weigh them, so I don't have to wipe the scale as much - just put the lid on the scale & tare before adding the ingredient.
    OOOHHH!!!!
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I keep my kitchen scale on my counter where I prepare my food. Having it in plain sight can be a helpful reminder.

Same. I also have a note pad and pen next to my scale to write down weights as I make food.

That sounds helpful.

I was also thinking of zero-ing out my scale with my lunch tupperware on it, then magic markering the added weights for each thing that goes into it? (ie - broccoli, chicken, rice)

Another note, I have read that it's best to weigh your meat raw. How do you manage to do this if you're bulk meal prepping? I get all my chicken breasts mixed up like a mom with triplets!

I think if I were bulk prepping, I'd probably make a recipe for ALL the ingredients with their total weights (including raw meat, etc) then set the recipe to be 4 or 5 (or whatever is appropriate) servings. Each day may not be quite the same because of the way things are cut or divided, but it will average out over the week. Does that make sense?
  • TaraTall
    Options
    Definitely following, thanks!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Chaagy wrote: »
    @ncfitbit - I learned something today. I often do what you do, and put a big plate on the scale to weigh things like chicken. But it covers up the numbers, and I have to look all around, shift the plate a bit to see the numbers. Small bowl under plate is absolute genius!!!

;) I learned new stuff from this thread, too. Like the negative number weighing tip from @diannethegeek and using extra yogurt tub lids from @AnnPT77 . This is why I love MFP so much!
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Mine is always on the counter, ready to be used. Its a little Starfrit scale, inexpensive, from Canadain Tire. I too wondered about weighing on big plates but figured out a good technique, which has been mentioned above!

I have two. One on the counter for cooking and one on the table for measuring dinner portions.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am constantly "testing" my ability to serve a specific portion. It makes it gave more purpose for me.

For example, this week I've been really working on guessing what a tablespoon of mayo or sour cream looks like if I scoop it out with a spoon or knife. I pay attention to how it looks on the spoon, how big the blob looks once I put it in the bowl, etc. Obviously i still log in grams, but I found that my idea of a Tbsp was more like 1.75Tbsp. :# Yikes.

Last week I was doing it with peanut butter. In addition to looking at the spoon/knife carefully, I tried paying attention to the thickness once spread on my bread of toast (and yes, it looks different on toast because it melts). I started getting pretty good. I'm just using it as practice because I don't plan on weighing everything forever if I can help it.

I can eyeball chicken within about .5oz. I'm usually off by a dozen grams or less. But those add up when you only get 1200 calories a day.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options

I also use the dry erase markers for putting dates on leftover containers. Liquid chalk works well too.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    tnm7760 wrote: »
    I am constantly "testing" my ability to serve a specific portion. It makes it gave more purpose for me.

For example, this week I've been really working on guessing what a tablespoon of mayo or sour cream looks like if I scoop it out with a spoon or knife. I pay attention to how it looks on the spoon, how big the blob looks once I put it in the bowl, etc. Obviously i still log in grams, but I found that my idea of a Tbsp was more like 1.75Tbsp. :# Yikes.

Last week I was doing it with peanut butter. In addition to looking at the spoon/knife carefully, I tried paying attention to the thickness once spread on my bread of toast (and yes, it looks different on toast because it melts). I started getting pretty good. I'm just using it as practice because I don't plan on weighing everything forever if I can help it.

I can eyeball chicken within about .5oz. I'm usually off by a dozen grams or less. But those add up when you only get 1200 calories a day.

That's what I was going to suggest. Before weighing something make a guess at its weight. Then check and see how close you were. Eventually you get good enough at guessing you won't need to weigh except for periodic spot checks. May as well learn something while you do it.

Also pay attention to the calorie levels of items. Weighing your lettuce and mustard and all is probably not worth your time in the long run. Though some people enjoy the feeling of precision and control. Just try to remember it's all estimates, regardless of if you weighed or not.