Fitbit charge HR or garmin vivosmart HR

Options
Hello everyone,
I am working toward my weight loss goal and thought about looking into investing in a fitness tracker to help my cause.

As the title says I am down to these 2. However not sure which one to go with.

I am wondering what people think as to which device I should get. Looking for comfort, data accuracy, and style as some of the feature. Also, I do a lot of spinning/cycling so a device that would help in recording different activities.

Thanks again and feel free to add me.

Replies

• zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivosmart HR and love it. I ultimately chose it bc I have a severe nickel allergy and the band didn't look like it had metal on it unlike Jawbone and Fitbit. I haven't reacted to it, not sure what the buckle is made of. Also it's waterproof - swimable not just resistant. There have been a few software issues bc it is so new but nothing that has bothered me and I feel it is a very accurate device for me. You can track cycling (although I haven't done this yet, winter) and all kinds of activities. The activities will show on MFP as running or cardio though and not as detailed as if you enter it yourself. You can edit them on the Garmin Connect app or site to keep better tabs for your own records. The sleep tracking is neat too. The only thing I have to enter into MFP now is my food which makes things a lot easier and more accurate. Good luck with your decision!
  • zenjen13
    Options
    Just to add, it's not the most stylish but it is super comfortable I wear it 24/7 and only take off to charge. I wear it during yoga and it doesn't bother me at all, even when my arms are underneath me in Locust or Fish. I have the purple one and it's more like a dark purplish grey - pretty unisex. Feel free to ask me more questions!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have the Vivosmart also. I had narrowed it down to the Fitbit or Garmin also but I wanted to wear a chest strap. Bought my BF the Fitbit and he's happy with it and I love the Vivosmart and the customer service that comes along with Garmin products.
  • brotherjake70
    brotherjake70 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. One question I have is: what is the battery like. How often do you need to recharge it.
  • zenjen13
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. One question I have is: what is the battery like. How often do you need to recharge it.

It depends on how you use it. The more you log workouts and use smartphone notifications the less it will last obviously. I think I charge mine about every four or five days. I don't use it to get phone notifications but I do use it for lengthy workouts. I usually check the battery life when I think about it after my morning workout and charge it while I have a shower and get dressed for the day. It takes about an hour if it is on it's last battery line.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Every four or five days for mine also. I don't use it for the phone notifications either. Just my music. During the day I turn off the bluetooth on my phone just because if move around too much it cuts in and out letting me know it's connected or not and I figure that is a battery drain also.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not choose either. None of them work for swimming with HR. I gave up trying to find one that works easily in the pool.