Protein Shakes

Options
Hi All

I am looking to start doing some proper working out. I've been dieting but not losing any weight at all, so having a major shift in what I am going to be doing.

So...I am planning to start with T25. Im a busy mum of 2, so I don't have the time, nore the money to go to a gym every day and this seems to fit in.

I also plan to start having a protein shake every day. Ive been struggling to hit my protein goals, and feel this will help.

My question is - do protein shakes replace a meal, or should I eat 3 - 5 meals a day and a shake after working out? Ie Breakfast, lunch, dinner, 1 snack and a shake. Or should I skip say breakfast and just have a shake after working out in the morning?

Thank you

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are usually just protein -- that isn't a great replacement for a meal with a variety of macronutrients. If I have one, I'll usually use it as a snack or as part of a meal.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are usually just protein -- that isn't a great replacement for a meal with a variety of macronutrients. If I have one, I'll usually use it as a snack or as part of a meal.

I agree it's not a variety of macro nutrients, but she said she struggles to hit her protein goal, if that's the case, you don't really want a variety of macronutients in it, you just want to give your protein that little extra boost.

I'd say go for it as a meal, there's not really any definition of what a meal should be. I skip breakfast and eat mostly protein a carbs throughout the day, then have a big dinner with all the protein / carbs / fats I need to hit my numbers. If a protein shake gets you to your numbers then it's a good idea. If you find yourself drinking a lot of shakes and are really hungry throughout the day, then go for some other forms of protein that have more substance.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I agree it's not a variety of macro nutrients, but she said she struggles to hit her protein goal, if that's the case, you don't really want a variety of macronutients in it, you just want to give your protein that little extra boost.

I'd say go for it as a meal, there's not really any definition of what a meal should be. I skip breakfast and eat mostly protein a carbs throughout the day, then have a big dinner with all the protein / carbs / fats I need to hit my numbers. If a protein shake gets you to your numbers then it's a good idea. If you find yourself drinking a lot of shakes and are really hungry throughout the day, then go for some other forms of protein that have more substance.

Assuming other macronutrient and calorie goals are being met, I agree. I guess I phrased it that way because OP was asking if a protein shake "should" replace a meal and I don't think they should or shouldn't -- it's just a matter of individual preference. But because they are just protein, they aren't the same thing as a product specifically intended to replace a meal.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    BTW, I don't know what T25 is, but your best bet is to get a quality whey protein isolate or concentrate that contains 80% or more protein by weight. Avoid anything that has filler ingredients like dextrose, glutamine, proprietary blends, added BCAAs (amino spiking), or other weird stuff.

If you can't stomach whey, your next best bet is egg, or casein. If you don't want a dairy or egg product your next best bet is a brown rice and pea protein since it has a great amino acid profile.
  • tonyrosen
    tonyrosen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not really into all the scientific mumbo-jumbo others have posted in response - but, this is what I, personally, am experiencing ....

I EAT, like something I have to chew, 5 meals per day. All of these are high in protein (I intake a LOT of protein). Between those meals, I have several protein laden "snacks" --- two of which are protein shakes.

Now, I'm a guy; but, I'm quite sure protein synthesis works in females exactly like it does in males.

My day also includes working out (weights 4x's per week, cardio an extra 2x's, and a day of doing no exercises).

In the past 4 weeks:
    • I've lost about 18 pounds of fat
    • I've gained 5 pounds of muscle
    • I have a very noticeable increase in energy
    • I sleep very well

I wouldn't replace a meal with a protein shake, as long as you select the correct one. I would say "yes" to the response about whey protein isolate. Also, check the sugars (found under Carbohydrates on the label). I wouldn't touch a protein shake canister that holds more than 6g sugars per serving. Sugar will come naturally in a lot of your foods anyway - no reason to add any sugar to your diet via any other method.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    tonyrosen wrote: »
    I'm not really into all the scientific mumbo-jumbo others have posted in response -

Excuse me?

Two people have posted in this thread. I'm unsure what in our comments you thought was "mumbo-jumbo."
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Just fit it into your calories. After a workout is best.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    tonyrosen wrote: »
    I'm not really into all the scientific mumbo-jumbo others have posted in response - but, this is what I, personally, am experiencing ....

I EAT, like something I have to chew, 5 meals per day. All of these are high in protein (I intake a LOT of protein). Between those meals, I have several protein laden "snacks" --- two of which are protein shakes.

Now, I'm a guy; but, I'm quite sure protein synthesis works in females exactly like it does in males.

My day also includes working out (weights 4x's per week, cardio an extra 2x's, and a day of doing no exercises).

In the past 4 weeks:
    • I've lost about 18 pounds of fat
    • I've gained 5 pounds of muscle
    • I have a very noticeable increase in energy
    • I sleep very well

I wouldn't replace a meal with a protein shake, as long as you select the correct one. I would say "yes" to the response about whey protein isolate. Also, check the sugars (found under Carbohydrates on the label). I wouldn't touch a protein shake canister that holds more than 6g sugars per serving. Sugar will come naturally in a lot of your foods anyway - no reason to add any sugar to your diet via any other method.

I doubt you have gained 5 pounds of muscle
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just bought a protein powder, I plan on using it with almond milk, a banana and a tbsp of pb. That's my breakfast.
  • LD6686
    LD6686 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answers. I eat a wide range of things usually, though been sick the last 2 weeks so been off plan as just not had the energy to care.

I hit my other macro goals it's just the protein, but don't want to do the wrong thing and replace a meal with a shake if that's not what they are designed for. Don't wanna make losing weight harder ;-)

I follow a low carb diet as I am endomorphic. T25 is an exercise programme. I plan to use the Gold whey protein powder. Think I shall probably have breakfast, work out not long before lunch and then have a protein shake after and a chicken salad for lunch, then usual dinner.