A gallon of water...Is that really necessary?

Options
I've read different articles. Some say the standard 8 cups (64oz) a day, some say a gallon and some say your body weight (in lbs) divided by 2. Is this based on fitness or activity level? So what are you guys drinking a day? I've been sticking to 64oz. I have a desk job but do manage to workout 30-60 minutes at home 4-5 days a week with light to moderate effort.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    everyone is different, but no, you dont. compare your urine to the chart.

6fksesso3dcw.jpg
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't keep track by counting ozs. I find it's much easier to tell how hydrated I am based on urine color. Some days I need more water than others, but this is a pretty easy way to tell if your dehydrated or not.

295170_425606697485737_1866439031_n.jpg
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    See I drink 8 cups and my urine always looks like line 1
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i get the majority of my water through the fresh vegetables i eat, coffee, etc. i only drink about 1 bottle of water a day, and i haven't died from dehydration yet.
  • sanfromny
    Options
    I thought coffee dehydrates?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    See I drink 8 cups and my urine always looks like line 1

Then you are doing absolutely fine.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

no, not really
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Caffeine can dehydrate slightly, but not nearly enough to offset the amount of liquid in the actual coffee itself. And even food contains water, so there are lots of ways to get enough water/liquid to stay hydrated.
  • sanfromny
    Options
    Hmm..ok, I never count coffee
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Not as much as you'd think. Nice tutu^^^^^^^^^ B)

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on each person-- how much water is in your foods, how much you exercise, where you live, medications, etc., etc.

I like the color chart. Just for clarification-- are the colors referring to the color of the water in the toilet or the color of undiluted urine?

I've also heard that you want to avoid cloudy urine.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I don't keep track of how much water I drink. If I feel thirsty or have any other signs of dehydration then I drink more water. You get water from sources other than plain water. I drink coffee and herbal teas and eat fruits like melons that are very hydrating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've read different articles. Some say the standard 8 cups (64oz) a day, some say a gallon and some say your body weight (in lbs) divided by 2. Is this based on fitness or activity level? So what are you guys drinking a day? I've been sticking to 64oz. I have a desk job but do manage to workout 30-60 minutes at home 4-5 days a week with light to moderate effort.

There really can't be a standardized amount because individuals are going to have individual needs...I live in the desert at over a mile high in elevation and I'm very active...I need a lot more water to stay hydrated than someone living at sea level with temperatures in the mid 70s who is sedentary.

Just stay hydrated....staying hydrated is all that is important...
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I go by the color of my urine although on average I get about 7-8 cups a day. More in the summer.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    #8: you ded.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Going by the color of urine is a better way than specifically trying to stick to a number of ounces (we do get water in food items too, fruit, soup, veggies, etc). I find my water intake varies from day to day - did I exercise, was it a workday or a weekend day, was it hot outside, etc. However, you can take water too far. Drinking too much water can lead to different health issues as well, so be careful!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I go by thirst and the pee color test too. As a rule in the winter time, 8 cups a day is about what I need to stay hydrated. In the summer it can go beyond 12 cups but it is a rare day when I need a gallon.
  • imwilecoyote
    imwilecoyote Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As far as caffeine is concerned, you would need to consume about 720 mg in a day before it becomes a diuretic. A normal cup of coffee is about 65mg, standard energy drink or Starbucks is usually 180 but varies. Some like Rockstar punched are 240mg. Pepsi, Coke, Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper are 38-54mg. As long as all sources don't go over the 720mg limit you will be okay.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I usually drink over 100 ounces of plain water and about 3 cups of black tea also. But this is what my body is used too. The more salty foods I eat or the more vigorous workouts I do, I will need to drink more.