Do I need a Digital Scale?

Options
Hi All!
I have an analogue kitchen scale I have been using, with the scale increasing in 25g increments. I kinda went off the deep end last month, and am getting back into tracking my meals, and I don't want to sabotage myself from the start. I am weighing all my food with the analogue scale, but I have seen people comment many times on this forum to get a digital scale.

So should I splurge on a new scale?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Digital scales can be really useful and will likely be more accurate than your analog scale, but they aren't mandatory. It's up to you whether or not to splurge, but I do love my digital scale.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    It doesn't need to be digital, but it needs to measure in 1gram increments, not 25. Cheap scales can be gotten for less than 20 dollars at Amazon, Target, or Wal-mart.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like the OXO brand digital scale.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    They don't cost very much, and they are very useful and helpful. I wouldn't say you "need" one, but if you can invest in one, I'd definitely recommend it.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You don't need a scale to lose weight. I have lost weight without using a scale before. The benefit of having a very accurate scale is that you can be more comfortable eating more food because you know exactly what you're consuming.
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I lost 76 lbs using my analog scale. It has ounces on one side (1 ounce increments) and grams on the other (not quite sure of the increments, but it's only possible to be accurate to about the closest 25 grams). I sometimes wish that I had a nice digital scale, but it hasn't been necessary for my weight loss. I kept meaning to get one but kept forgetting when I was actually at the store. Now I'm to my goal weight and figure why spend the money?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    scottyxxx wrote: »
    Hi All!
    I have an analogue kitchen scale I have been using, with the scale increasing in 25g increments. I kinda went off the deep end last month, and am getting back into tracking my meals, and I don't want to sabotage myself from the start. I am weighing all my food with the analogue scale, but I have seen people comment many times on this forum to get a digital scale.

So should I splurge on a new scale?

The only problem I see with the scale you have is that it increases in 25 g increments.

Digital scales can be nice, because they typically increase in 1 gram increments and have a tare function. The tare function is nice because you can put a plate on the scale and zero it out after each ingredient is added. They aren't necessary though. I love mine and consider it one of the best investments I made after joining MFP. I spent a little more then most people do ($20) for a flat black one (my mom thought it was a tablet the first time she saw it).
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight quite happily using an old fashioned Salter scale. The little weights one uses went down to 1/4 oz and 5 grams.

I splurged one day and bought a digital scale, oh my!

The ease of weighing. Bring able to put my plate on and keep tarring as I added the different foods. No more keep having to wash the lovely copper pan of my Salter scale. No more little weights scattered around the counter top.

A digital scale just makes life easier. I still use my old Salter for baking as I love using it so much, but everyday, 3-6 times a day- digital wins.

Cheers, h.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep!