New to running.

Options
RoyBeck
RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
As the title says I'm losing weight at a decent speed by walking just about everywhere. I've no need to start running other than I'd like to. I've hardly ran since school and last week on the way home from gym I said to myself id run 3x20 seconds to see how I got on. Needless to say I was a little short of breath but the main problem was a pain right at the bottom of my legs just above where the leg meets my foot. Is this potentially shin splints? I want to build up from maybe quarter of a mile to half a mile weekly etc but I'm worried about this pain.

Please help any advice?

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    (If you haven't already) Go to a running shop, get your gait checked... And if needed buy an appropriate pair of running shoes.

Warm up before running. I do a little stretching, and i've usually already done some walking before i start running. You shouldn't go from cold to a full on sprint.

Don't run if you're in pain, you'll only make it worse. If it persists, see a doc/physio.

Warm down afterwards. I usually spend at least 5 minutes afterwards warming down by stretching.

Look at a program like C25k.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options

I'm 29 and around 230 pounds. I have done C25K. You need to ease into it.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my trainers but maybe need to look into stretching more before running. Thanks.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with my trainers but maybe need to look into stretching more before running. Thanks.

Dynamic stretching....not static.

Your "trainers" may be the reason for your pain, IMHO.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i'm new to running as well, doing a run/walk interval thing now to work myself up, and some pain in my ankles has been my biggest problem. i make sure to start out with some stretches...just some lunge type movements, then i stand straight up with my feet together... raise up on the balls of my feet, then down. up, down. then start at a brisk walk for five minutes before i start to run... then when i'm done with my intervals, another cooldown walk, and a bit more stretching. i've noticed a difference in the ankles since i started the stretches.
  • notdeadjustslob
    notdeadjustslob Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Note: stretching before a run may not be good for you. Read: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/ask-well-do-we-need-to-stretch/?_r=0

Gretchen Reynolds does a blog about running; it is worth checking out.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Note: stretching before a run may not be good for you. Read: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/ask-well-do-we-need-to-stretch/?_r=0

Agreed, unless dynamic. (Dynamic is basically warm-up plyos)
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Agreed, unless dynamic. (Dynamic is basically warm-up plyos)

This....
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options

"It’s possible, however, that what you believe stretching does for your body may matter as much as what it actually does. In a 2010 study, volunteers were randomly instructed either to stretch or not to stretch before exercise. Those who ‘‘strongly agreed’’ at the start of the study that stretching is advisable rarely reported sore muscles if they were assigned to stretch. But if they were told not to stretch, they were more likely than other volunteers to report that their muscles subsequently felt sore."

It works for me, on advice from my mom and uncles that were avid runners in their younger days. Mental state or not, I find it helps.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Recognize as well that running strains your muscles in ways that your body is not currently used to. If you have weak core muscles you'll feel the ramifications in your legs & back. If you have weak muscles in your knees. . .knee pain may come along. Running must include some strength conditioning in order to have your body as balanced as possible.

And, STRETCHING can not be over looked!!! I don't usually stretch before a run. . unless it's dynamic as other's have mentioned, but I DO stretch my lower body out well after a run. Achilles, calf, quads, hams, glutes, hip flexor. . . can NOT neglect the stretching!!!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Your "trainers" may be the reason for your pain, IMHO.

yeah, i have a sneaking suspicion that how much your feet pronate doesn't currently feature in your happiness criteria. :smile:
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Been running for a couple years now. I don't normally stretch before a run, but I've made it a point to walk for 5 minutes to warm up AND cool down. I stretch after and incorporate some yoga on my "off" days to get in a little more. I also got fitted for realy running shoes when increasing my mileage and I noticed a world of difference.
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would recommend that you look at the Galloway run-walk-run method. Essentially instead of running non-stop you alternate between walking and running and slowly build up your endurance. I started at 306 lbs and in terrible shape last year with his Easy 5k app. The program consists of two short and one long run each week. Over time you increase the time and distance working up to 5k. After finishing the 5k I moved up to the 10k and then half. In 7 months I went from being out of shape and barely able to walk up two fights of stairs to running my first half marathon in under 2 hours. In those 7 months the Galloway method kept me going injury free and I was able to drop 115 lbs. Best of all it has given me an enjoyment to running that I never had in my life. Good luck!
  • bullygirl979
    bullygirl979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    (If you haven't already) Go to a running shop, get your gait checked... And if needed buy an appropriate pair of running shoes.

Warm up before running. I do a little stretching, and i've usually already done some walking before i start running. You shouldn't go from cold to a full on sprint.

Don't run if you're in pain, you'll only make it worse. If it persists, see a doc/physio.

Warm down afterwards. I usually spend at least 5 minutes afterwards warming down by stretching.

All of this. Just because you like your trainers doesn't mean they are good running shoes for you. When I went to get fitted for running shoes, I didn't tell them I was in any pain. They had me run on a treadmill for 30 seconds while they taped my gait. He asked if I was having any right knee pain (which I was) and I asked how he could tell. He showed my how my right foot tends to pronate which would cause knee pain. He hooked me up with a stability shoe and the pain disappeared. Oh, and I'm a couch to 5k grad too. Great program for beginners.