Lean bulking?

Options
I am considering to go on a lean bulk soon and have run into somewhat of a wall. Kinobody's take on lean bulking is to bulk by 500 cal for 3 weeks then go on a deficit for the 4th by 500 cal then repeat. Sounds legit but Another article I read suggested bulkin by 500 cals on the days that I train, and on my off days simply bulk by 100 cals. What do you think will be optimal and have you tried a small bulk?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why not 250 calories daily until you meet your weight goal? It's .5 lbs per week as opposed to 1 pound per week, which will hopefully allow for minimal fat gains. It's not over complicated.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It's hard to do daily calorie manipulation but it might slow your progress since you actually grow on your rest days as well, in fact, the gym is only for stimulation and it's the rest that really promotes the growth. The first suggestion is a mini-bulk/mini-cut cycle, which can certainly work but will take longer.
  • Da_Chozen_Juan
    Da_Chozen_Juan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's hard to do daily calorie manipulation but it might slow your progress since you actually grow on your rest days as well, in fact, the gym is only for stimulation and it's the rest that really promotes the growth. The first suggestion is a mini-bulk/mini-cut cycle, which can certainly work but will take longer.
    That's not a problem for me as there's really no rush, consistency is what matters. How long do you suggest going on a mini bulk for? Mini cut for?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    That's not a problem for me as there's really no rush, consistency is what matters. How long do you suggest going on a mini bulk for? Mini cut for?

As long as you need to hit your goal. You won't know till you do it but you will roughly gain a pound a week in your bulk and lose a pound in your cut. So each month you should gain 2 pounds with maybe 1.5lbs being muscle if you fire on all cylinders. The reason why is you should gain 50% muscle on your bulk weeks but lose only about 5-10% muscle on your cut weeks. At least, I'm going to assume that's the theory behind this cycle.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    The first option would be easy to screw up because you will have metabolism and water weight fluctuations that will make it difficult to accurately assess your progress and rate of gain. When you cut on week 4, you will drop a bunch of water and this will make it even harder to see that pattern in your numbers. After a few cycles you may get your numbers down pretty well, but it is unnecessarily complicated. Also, if you nail everything perfectly, you are only gaining a max of 2 lbs of total mass per month, so maybe 1 lb of muscle per month if you are lucky. Unless you have already been bulking for a couple of years, this is pretty slow for a 20 year old male. Not sure why you would want to gain so slow, unless you have a good reason to stay really lean. But to each their own.

The second option won't hurt, but it won't "optimize" any progress. I have never read any science that would suggest that calorie cycling during a bulk is beneficial compared to a consistent amount of calories every day.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Do a Slow Bulk - go at +250calories instead of +500. Slower progress, but less fat gained.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Why not 250 calories daily until you meet your weight goal? It's .5 lbs per week as opposed to 1 pound per week, which will hopefully allow for minimal fat gains. It's not over complicated.

this ..

sounds like you are spinning your wheels and over complicating things...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    But a male can gain half a pound of muscle a week. I'd be going for that and getting out earlier, with a small cut at the end.
    I'd make the most of that gain potential.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much of a novice you are. A true novice can gain muscle really quickly as he provides the right fuel for his body (protein and caloric surplus), and can gain weight super quickly. As you have more muscle mass, it takes longer and more complex training to add the same amount of muscle (in other words, you get diminishing returns, otherwise people who spend 20 years in the gym should look like Arnolds)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    But a male can gain half a pound of muscle a week. I'd be going for that and getting out earlier, with a small cut at the end.

true, but I think that half pound per week number is considered only under "ideal" situations so not quite sure that every male will gain .5 pound per week of muscle....
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

true, but I think that half pound per week number is considered only under "ideal" situations so not quite sure that every male will gain .5 pound per week of muscle....

Yes, they'd have to be super accurate with calories, be near the beginning of their lifting career, know what they were doing and have youth on their side perhaps?

Sounds like an oxymoron to me!

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yes, they'd have to be super accurate with calories, be near the beginning of their lifting career, know what they were doing and have youth on their side perhaps?

Sounds like an oxymoron to me!

Yeah, being over 40 sucks for gains lol.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

This +1
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    McDonald suggests that the average young male just starting out on his first bulk can grow 0.5 lb of muscle a week, given proper training, rest and nutrition:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/
    OP is 20, but he didn't mention anything about his training history.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    McDonald suggests that the average young male just starting out on his first bulk can grow 0.5 lb of muscle a week, given proper training, rest and nutrition:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html/

He does, but he is dong this purely on speculation based on an anectodtal model from what I can see. Based on his theory an average young man should gain about 20 pounds of muscle in the first year, which seems very unlikely. To my knowledge he has never done a proper study using proper BF% measurments, nor does he site any, he does provide some indirect evidence based on studies of (presumed) natural body builders to justify his model, but I would take it with a grain of salt.
  • JRMJr79
    JRMJr79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has a workout program that accomplishes this very well called body beast. If you buy it you also get an app for your phone (kinda) that is really handy while at the gym. The program is kind of built for body building but you can select the strength version as well. Program has both
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    JRMJr79 wrote: »
    Beachbody has a workout program that accomplishes this very well called body beast. If you buy it you also get an app for your phone (kinda) that is really handy while at the gym. The program is kind of built for body building but you can select the strength version as well. Program has both

While I would give Beast the credit for getting me into lifting, its a good but not great program or even ideal. It doesn't have enough training volume and has too much isolation.

OP, I generally lean towards a more consistent approach, 250 or 10-15% above TDEE. The variation in calories can over complicate things and make it more difficult to hit your goals. Plus the cut week would be hell with the huge reduction in calories.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a lean bulk too, I can't be bothered with varying my calories on training / non-training days.

If you want to try some quick cutting you could bulk for 8 weeks, de-load and cut for a week, then bulk for a further 8 weeks.

This would give you 8 weeks to see some strength gains between cuts.
  • Da_Chozen_Juan
    Da_Chozen_Juan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I have been training for 1 year entirely on a caloric deficit. I was 250 when I started, now I'm 180 lbs.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Are you following a designed lifting program?