How to log water cardio/strength class?

Options
Hi everyone - I'm trying to figure out how to estimate calories burned in a 1 hour water cardio and strength class. The first 30 minutes is surprisingly rigorous cardio, and the second 30 is with hand weights. I see Water Aerobics listed in the database, but it seems really light for the intensity of this class. I don't have a HRM or anything like that. Any ideas of how to calculate this? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use an hrm in the water. I have a waterproof chest strap for my polar f4. An Aqua fit class logs around 350 calories - I'm 5'3" and 124lb. However, the water pressure reduces your heart rate, so you never actually are going to get a true reading of your effort. The good news is you can log a decent burn anyway. And know you've done more than meets the eye.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    It is listed in the MFP database as water calasthenics/water aerobics. I found it to be a pretty accurate burn so ate back the whole number.

Cheers, h.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It is listed in the MFP database as water calasthenics/water aerobics. I found it to be a pretty accurate burn so ate back the whole number.

Cheers, h.

I also found the water calisthenics entry to be accurate. I ate back all my exercise calories as well with this entry.
  • mollypw1994
    mollypw1994 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!