5K time desperate to reduce!! Help!!

Options
2»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    run 3x a week one sprints one a short run and your third one a 5k. You need to get your speed up so doing a series of sprints over time will help majorly.

Be careful - don't just go out and run 5K every week. You don't make gains in strength training by staying at the same weight and you don't make gains at running by staying at the same distance. The long run is where you build your endurance and fitness that will make the shorter races easier.

^^^This.

When I was still running competitive 5K, I never ran a training run less than 5 miles. I usually "turned it on" from mile 1-4 and practiced my "kick" the last .5 mile.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Short answer... run faster.

i'd recommend using interval training to help increase your pace.
    2 minute intervals at a slow/fast pace, where the fast pace is slightly higher than you would like to run the 5k at.

Intervals and running inclines really helped me with my time. I also noticed a nice difference by doing some strength training non-run days. I was doing BodyPump (med wts/high reps), that really helped get stronger legs and was able to run longer and faster.

It does take time. Congrats on your run!!!!
    :happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The short answer is not to run faster.
    The short answer is not to run intervals.
    The short answer is not to run hills.
    The short answer is not to race more.

There is no short answer.

The answer is, to run more and to run easy. You need to build an aerobic base. As you have only been running for a very short period of time, your body is not yet ready for hills, speed work, intervals or tempo sessions. You just need to run aerobically, or at a "conversational pace". Slowly increase the distance (or time, if you run by time) of your runs. If you are doing every other day right now, maybe add an additional day every other week. Increase the 10%, hold there for two weeks, reduce to previous level and then increase again. Repeat this process to increase your time on your feet. One of your runs should be longer than the others, but should not comprise more than 40% of your total weekly mileage. Continue to do this until you are consistently running 20-25 miles per week and you have been running for about 6 months. Then you will be ready add some intensity (tempo, interval, fartlek and strides) to your routine.

What Carson said!

One of my tri coaches once said something to the effect that until you can run 10k slowly not to worry about running 5k fast. (base first, speed later)
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A new runner will generally suffer more injuries then at any other time in their running life, and trying to increase speed and distance before they should is two big reasons why. Because of injuries many get disillusioned and quit running.

One of the biggest boosts for increasing speed is to drop excess weight. Another is to strengthen legs and body core; and as many above stated, run a lot of easy miles to build your base. I agree with Carson, ignore speed work at this time, build the base, run, run, run. Use this time to develop the basics, work on your stride, foot plant, mindset.

If you do nothing different from this day forward but run regularly & leisurely, your running ability will be tremendously improved. You will be amazed.

One thing many runners never do is to warm up before timing themselves or even starting a race. Heck, it takes an easy mile for me to get the juices flowing.

The night before your next run eat some complex carbs, then go out & run an easy mile, then start timing your easy run. Betcha like it.
  • Shadowscoots
    Options
    This is a wonderful thread!

I'll explain why. :smile:

A few years ago I ran some 5k's back in Canada. I recall that I did some of them in about 35 minutes, even with some walking.

I move back to England and decide to start running again. Despite the fact that I can now run for about 30 minutes or so without stopping (depending on if I've actually been practicing my running!) It would seem that I am on course to running a 5k in about 36 minutes.

Needless to say, I felt a bit deflated.

The goal I SO want to reach is a sub 25 minute 5k. Now I'm not expecting to do it tomorrow, but I'm so hoping I can do it in about a year. I've done a lot of road running lately and it's so upsetting to jump on the treadmill and find out that I've not actually improved that much to what I was so many years ago.

After reading these posts, I know that surely my goal may well be attainable. Right now, my running speed is about 5.5mph on the treadmill. I went up to 6.5mph and felt like I was going to explode. My goal is to get up to somewhere between 7mph and 8mph. I think I'd fall off the back if I did this right now. Is this attainable? Should I keep throwing in speed bursts until they become my 'normal' speed?

Thanks all! :smiley: