Is it OK to be under your calorie goal by say... 1000?

Options
I'm usually under by 200 - 600... But today and other days before that I was under by alot. Is that bad?
And also I ate a 900 calorie burger yesterday and I feel so guilty about it... Never again... Was not worth that amount of calories.
I have an open diary btw.

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Over-restricting yourself usually leads to a crash-and-burn, and you'll probably end up gaining back everything you've lost and then some.

The idea is to eat as much as possible close to your calorie limit but not over. This goes for losing AND maintaining weight.

You want to eat sustainably for the rest of your life, starting now.

The idea is not to deprive yourself and binge to catch up.

• andygvr96
    andygvr96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What if I'm not hungry?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You sound disordered ...undereating and guilt over a food choice?

If you are constantly under eating you will burn through your LBM at a much higher rate not to mention reducing your chance of hitting your macro and micro nutrient requirements

If you have saved 200 calories for a few days you've got a 900 calorie burger over and above your standard eating easily

How much should you be eating

Eating too little is as bad, probably worse, for your health as eating too much
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Your diary is awful

I imagine you're trolling for fun but in case anybody else is reading ..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I entirely disagree with rabbitjb. Guilt over a food choice isn't 'disordered' at all. It's not fun, and if it's not positive or working for you, you may want to rethink it as a reaction! I do not support pathologizing people's feelings on internet forums.

Undereating when you've over-eaten the day before is a fine balancing practice, IMO, as long as it's within reason.

What is your starting weight and daily calorie goal, @andygvr96 ?

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything you eat? If you are logging everything you eat, then you are not eating enough at all. You are going to lose so much muscle mass, including very important muscles like your heart. You are a 19 yo male. You should be eating minimum 1500 per day. I am a 5'7" female almost in her 30's and I eat about 1400 or 1500 and I am losing weight. Please see a doctor if you mentally cannot eat more than you are now or else you will be visiting a doctor in a few months when your body is wasting away.
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I entirely disagree with rabbitjb. Guilt over a food choice isn't 'disordered' at all. It's not fun, and if it's not positive or working for you, you may want to rethink it as a reaction! I do not support pathologizing people's feelings on internet forums.

Undereating when you've over-eaten the day before is a fine balancing practice, IMO, as long as it's within reason.

You want to look at his diary before you disagree with me

Guilt over a food choice when he is eating 600 calories regularly is disordered

• Mapalicious
    Options
    OK...after snooping your diary I take a lot of what I posted above back.

OP, you appear to be starving yourself. You've been eating way too few calories (if your diary reflects everything you've eaten).

Additionally, the calories you DO eat are not balanced and nutritive.

I think getting started on reading some good blogs on healthy weightloss. I really liked livestrong.com as a start.
  • Mapalicious
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I revise after looking at his diary. You didn't post that information, and I still disagree with calling someone's actions/emotions 'disordered' in an internet forum. But that's beside the point here, aye?
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I revise after looking at his diary. You didn't post that information, and I still disagree with calling someone's actions/emotions 'disordered' in an internet forum. But that's beside the point here, aye?

Disordered isn't an insult ..it's a descriptor

But fair enough if you have issues with the word

Edit to revise....actually it was insulting, I realise I called him and not his eating pattern disordered...that was a grammatical error caused by lack of morning coffee and I apologise. However if I had written what I meant that his actions were disordered I would have stood by it

Describing the behaviour as disordered is appropriate but not describing the person

Slaps self

• Orphia
    Options
    There were some blank days before about a week ago.

How long have you been eating the way you've been logging?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    716cal today. Seriously?

NO. Eat.
  • andygvr96
    Options
    Seriously tho its not like I'm starving myself... I just get full pretty easily. Yesterday i couldnt even finish a donut... I just assumed that working out made you less hungry.. I lift weights every morning and drink protein so losing muscle mass shouldn't be a problem should it? I just took a week break to let my new tattoo heal. But I'm going to the gym again.
  • Orphia
    Options
    If it's just for one week, you'll be fine.

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    andygvr96 wrote: »
    Seriously tho its not like I'm starving myself... I just get full pretty easily. Yesterday i couldnt even finish a donut... I just assumed that working out made you less hungry.. I lift weights every morning and drink protein so losing muscle mass shouldn't be a problem should it? I just took a week break to let my new tattoo heal. But I'm going to the gym again.

Personally I cannot fathom eating below 3k/day. If you ate 716 today but eat 2000 tomorrow, then sure it would be ok. But 700 everyday, no dude. That's no where near sustainable long term. Especially for a 19yr old kid.

And that's with very little activity.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

You haven't logged any protein shakes

Yes losing muscle mass will be an issue

And no it's not OK - not even for a week

• andygvr96
    Options
    I only drink shakes when I workout and since I haven't gone this past week I haven't. But yesterday I did....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

look at the diary.

and have guilt over food IS disordered. you eat too much one day, you log it and move on to the next. its one thing to think ' man i shouldnt have eaten that. oh well.' and another to fixate on it and routinely undereat. OP ate a burger, didn't drive a school bus of children over a cliff..... no guilt is needed.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Over-restricting yourself usually leads to a crash-and-burn, and you'll probably end up gaining back everything you've lost and then some.

The idea is to eat as much as possible close to your calorie limit but not over. This goes for losing AND maintaining weight.

You want to eat sustainably for the rest of your life, starting now.

The idea is not to deprive yourself and binge to catch up.

This
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

No, you are seriously starving yourself. Your diary indicates disordered behaviors. Nothing in your diary shows a healthy pattern ... nothing.