looking for lifting exercises please

Options
http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/4877772/searchTerm/Mens+health.htm

Hi everyone,

I have the weight bench above in my spare room and am looking for a prpgressive lifting programme to achieve a tigher and leaner body and allow me to "tone up" as i gradually lose weight.

I am currently eating 1200kcal a day as recommended by the mfp guidelines.

Currently a 5 ft6, 12st size 12/14 female looking to get down to a size 10 by the summer hopefully losing a stone or two.

I have no idea where to start with lifting but plan on doing it 3 times a week

Please could you guys point me in the right direction

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a good beginner lifting program 3x/week. There is a website, app & women's group on MFP.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts, Starting Strength, Fierce 5, and other programs are good beginner programs. Full body, 3x/week progressive lifting programs. stronglifts.com has a ton of great material on form, how to progress, etc... Or, if you want videos, Mark Rippetoe (starting strength) has some great ones on youtube.

If you choose to do those programs here are some things to consider.

1) Get yourself some safeties or at least a strong spotter for bench press, my wife has lifted with me and went from doing 5x5 to not even completing a single rep the next session and getting pinned under the bar is dangerous even at 50lb.

2) You'll probably need to get some boxes for deadlifts. it looks like that bar only comes with small weights and will force you to lift from a deficit. 8" boxes that can be placed under the bar will suffice for now.

3) that set only has plates as small as 2.5kg, which will be problematic, as most programs call for a 5lb increase (2.3kg) not a 11lb increase (5kg). For women it is often recommended to use fractional plates, which would be 1.25lb each instead of the standard minimum of 2.5lb. You can work around this by increasing reps with a given weight and then going back to the original rep range with the next weight up.

4) You are going to be lifting more than that set comes with in no time at all. It is 35kg in weights plus the bar which is 5ft, so probably 5kg, for a total of 40kg. My wife starting lifting again in January and is already deadlifting 43kg, and currently squatting 31kg squat and will be at ~45kg within the next month. She is also 5'2"

So, the set you have will work for now, but regardless of the program you start with you are going to need to replace it very soon. I suggest you use the set while you can and keep an eye out for a better set used. If you get something that handles at least up to ~115kg that could potentially have you set for life, or may just last for 1-2 years depending on your long term goals.
  • siobhancollins90
    siobhancollins90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Really appreciate your advice, taking all of the above on board and will keep am eye out for Heavier weights for when the time comes. At least i have tge actual bench and can just buy additional weights to add onto it so shouldnt be over the top price wise.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Really appreciate your advice, taking all of the above on board and will keep am eye out for Heavier weights for when the time comes. At least i have tge actual bench and can just buy additional weights to add onto it so shouldnt be over the top price wise.

just be careful with that. Many cheap benches only hold the weight that they came with plus a person. It should state in the manual what the max load is. If you don't have it maybe you can find it on the manufacturers website.

In my area you can buy a set (including the bench and bar) that will legitimately hold 250lb for $200 or less. Sometimes you can find them for free.