back spasms

Options
so i was doing well and all of a sudden my back went into spasms this morning. I can't move. took some robaxicet to stop the spasming. i last did the gym on sun and walked yesterday. not sure what happened. anyone else deal with this? very discouraging :(

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Extremely often, in different spots in my back :( I feel ya! If you have good insurance and can stand it, you might try dry needling at a physio that does that. It's crazy and painful to get done, but it really can relax the muscle. It works even better with acute spasm than with my old chronic thing.

I've figured out pretty well what triggers mine. Look at what you did and see if there are any motions you can cut back or avoid. I'm also working on fixing the underlying cause as well, but that's a long process in my case. Taking the anti-spasmodic soon after doing the trigger helps a lot, too. Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I had to go to a doctor when mine were bad (muscle relaxers and pain meds). I also had luck with a naturopath who also did chiropractic techniques. Learning to lift free weights and strengthen the core, as well as losing excess weight, is what ultimately healed mine. I haven't had spasms in years.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Sudden onset muscle spasms can often be caused by dehydration and/or lack of electrolytes. It can also just be general fatigue from overuse or overstretching. Make sure you are well hydrated. You may want to get a prescription for a muscle relaxant if it continues.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i made a dr apt for tonight. This sucks. I didn't overdue sundays workout. did my warm up then strength training and cardio. i did stretch after. yesterday my arms were a bit sore (biceps etc)
    this morning nothing was bugging me and boom spasms... feels like I've been kicked in the back lol
  • coffeeismyfavorite
    Options
    Sorry about your back. I have a healing disc herniation and it's so frustrating some days. The best excercise when I'm really hurting seems to be daily walking and/or swimming. I'm not a good swimmer, but getting into a warm pool at the rec center and swimming around for about 30 minutes really helped me get going again. I know those aren't exactly the calorie burners you want, but keeps you moving until you're ready again.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I had a relatively minor back injury in November 2014 and I'm still dealing with recurring pain and muscle soreness/spasms. It seems to happen randomly and I kept telling myself it had to be a form issue, so I spent a lot of time working on form before finally seeing a chiropractor, who found disc compression, a wonky hip thing, and a 15% curve in my spine that no other doctor has ever mentioned to me before. I'm seeing an orthopedic doctor next week to get more details, but this has been such a frustrating process. The adjustments seem to be working and the difference in hip height is almost gone after only a week and a half, but that curve in my spine isn't going anywhere. I'm just hoping it's not degenerative.

I agree that strengthening your core and losing excess fat should help, but finding out the source of the pain is important, so I'm glad you're seeing a doctor. Before seeing the chiropractor, my doctors insisted it was muscular in nature and I just needed to rest and allow it to heal. So much for that. So get a second opinion if you're not happy with the first.
  • lisa9805
    Options
    I have seen a chiropractor in the past forlower back pain.years ago i had lower back spasms and went to a chiropractic dr. this spasm is on right side middle back
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    The adjustments seem to be working and the difference in hip height is almost gone after only a week and a half, but that curve in my spine isn't going anywhere. I'm just hoping it's not degenerative.

Regular adjustments will hopefully help. I discovered a few years ago that my spine was twisted - the top half in one direction and the lower half in the other - which we figured may have been due to a car accident many years earlier. It took about two years of regular adjustments, but after the last batch of x-rays we could see that my spine is almost straight and the bone spurs that were starting to form have gone. I was told that if I hadn't started having treatments, things would have got progressively worse and the bones would eventually start to fuse. Hopefully I've avoided that now, and I still try to go for monthly adjustments when I can (difficult at the moment).

I still get occasional spasms in my lower back (had it really bad over the holidays and could hardly move!), but far less than I used to. I also find that the little bit of exercise I now do seems to help, and I've had barely any twinges this year. (*crosses fingers* :smile: )

I wish luck to all of you dealing with back issues, and take it easy until you feel ready to do more again. :smile:
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I never had back spasms until I had a car accident 2 weeks ago. Now it's awful. I've been seeing a chiropractor for a week now and also have muscle relaxers as well as pain meds(which I hate). Walking and even sleeping is quite painful. Doc just said last night I may have a pinched nerve or nerve damage so he's sending me to a neurologist also...All of it sucks. i just want to go to the gym :-(
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Can I um... suggest not seeing a chiropractor until you've had an MRI? ... My chiro kept 'adjusting' my herniated disc, and it compounded the damage to my spine bones. My surgeon was picking bits of shattered spine bone out of my tendons. I'm probably looking at a fusion some time down the road. (I will note that it took two years of chiro and physical therapy, with both my chiro AND my pt throwing up their hands and notifying my GP that they couldn't heal me before my GP ordered an MRI and sent me to a neurologist. I should have put my foot down and thrown a tantrum MUCH sooner, but I kept 'trusting the process'. It was only when my PT wrote my doctor saying, "Her core strength is excellent. She is strong, her muscles are great, but there's something wrong we can't see." that my GP listened.

As for the spasms: Ice packs are your friend! A good 20 minute icing can sometimes stop the spasms. Also recommend a TENS unit, especially if you have nerve pain with the spasms.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Yes, I should probably add that my chiro did very little (other than try to ease the pain slightly so I could walk a bit easier) until he'd seen the first set of x-rays, so he knew what he was working with.

I saw an osteopath regularly for a year or two when I was back in the UK, and although his adjustments did seem to help a bit there were never any vast improvements and he never ordered any x-rays. I feel much more confident in my chiro, although I know some people don't trust them. Personal preference I guess, but yeah - if something is not improving then definitely explore other options.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You don't mention if you've ever been diagnosed with any spinal disc issues. I mean, I get flare ups sometimes from a couple of prolapsed discs in my lower back. But if you don't and this just suddenly happened for no good reason, get thee to a doctor. Not a chiropractor.
  • lisa9805
    Options
    never had disc issues. have had muscle issues, previous lower back spasms. i was seeing a chiro for a few yrs. but stopped that one cuz i felt it did more bad (didn't seem normal to take 2min for an adjustment and have to.go once a week or more). i do have another chiro and she does muscle work incl tens machine before an adjustment.
  • lisa9805
    Options
    so dr said I tweaked the muscle. gave me inflammatories and muscle relaxers. said it should calm it down in a few days then i should go for a massage. she didn't feel it was the exercises on the machines i did sunday as she said i would have felt the pain then. she said don't give up on exercise lol I have lost 6lbs since starting so I don't want to stop the momentum (or motivation).
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

- Yes, with Chiro, it can take two minutes for an adjustment and have to go as many as three times a week to start. I will caveat that my first chiropractors, a husband and wife team, fixed my neck. It took three times a week for the first month, two times a week for another month, and then down to one a week, then once a month. The problem then was actually an old dance injury and it was the muscles pulling my neck out of alignment. That's why when my GP suggested chiro for my lower back, I didn't question it. Should have.
  • lisa9805
    Options
    well the other chiro that i go to when needed uses the tens to loosen muscles. then she works the muscles before adjusting. im.usually there 45min.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've had ongoing back issues since my teens. I see a chiropractor when it acts up. I am also extremely careful about how I lift and move (most of my issues are lower back) I have noticed over the years that staying active & flexible helps. But not pushing it too far. Managing my stress as well, as extreme stress can cause my back to spasm like crazy & knock me on my butt for days. Ice &/or heat when bedridden, whichever feels best. Keeping the core strong & paying attention to my posture helps as well.

Lots of trial and error over the years to figure out what works & what aggravates. Pay attention to how your body is talking to you through tightness, twinging etc. Good luck & hope you feel better soon. Back issues SUCK!
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Try correcting your sleeping position. Try to assume the fetal position while sleeping. Also, stay topped up on hydration, electrolytes, vitamins and minerals.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    so dr said I tweaked the muscle. gave me inflammatories and muscle relaxers. said it should calm it down in a few days then i should go for a massage. she didn't feel it was the exercises on the machines i did sunday as she said i would have felt the pain then. she said don't give up on exercise lol I have lost 6lbs since starting so I don't want to stop the momentum (or motivation).

Did she say why you have to wait for the massage? Tissue work can help spasms if they aren't the monster sorts :) Maybe because it can be pretty painful and you won't need that if it relaxes on its own in the next day or so.

I should have mentioned earlier that steroid shots can help a really bad spasm very well, because some docs (like my pain doc) can give those in-office. I just get bad ones too often for that to be a viable solution, so I tried the dry needles that are jammed in and out repeatedly. I really do prefer the one shot, lol! But if yours is unusual for you and doesn't want to go away (it probably will!), the steroid shot can really take care of a mean one. Good luck :)

• lisa9805
    Options
    I despise needles lol I tried acupuncture 2 times for other issues and that was pushing myself outside my comfort zone lol
    this morning the spasms have stopped. i do feel like I've been repeatedly punched in the back but i can move a little better.