Hurt my ankle, now what

Options
dorener
dorener Posts: 52 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Ugh!!! Finally I have been staying on track, working out six days a week, losing weight, 5 weeks without a cigarette and feeling great. And...now I did something to my ankle and am in terrible pain. I couldn't work out last night, can barely walk and don't see exercise anytime soon. I was in such a good rhythm and am afraid if I stop now it will be so hard to get back on track. I'm super frustrated. Suggestions for what I can do to burn calories and feel active that does not include any weight on my foot/ankle?

Replies

• Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bench press. Sit up. Plank. Curls. Swimming
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    google Chair Exercises
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten your ankle looked at yet?

It shouldn't be too hard to find something else you can do to stay motivated and active while rehabbing your ankle, but it all depends on what you did to it, and that loops back to the first question.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    To keep with the rhythm of working out switch to floor Pilates/barre while your ankle heals. I suggest trying Jessica Smith's floor barre. It even has a cardio component that includes no lower body. It's a nice challenging 30 minutes.
  • dorener
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »

It shouldn't be too hard to find something else you can do to stay motivated and active while rehabbing your ankle, but it all depends on what you did to it, and that loops back to the first question.

Definitely heading to doctor today. I know I didn't break it but not sure if I sprained it or tore or pulled something. Aaaahhhh
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    dorener wrote: »
    UG77 wrote: »

Definitely heading to doctor today. I know I didn't break it but not sure if I sprained it or tore or pulled something. Aaaahhhh

Good idea.

When I was told to stay off my foot for 2 weeks, I started swimming instead.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're getting checked out. In the meantime, sit on the edge of a chair, engage your core, and do air punches. You can still really ramp up your heartrate in some modified exercises!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Oh hey I remember you. How did the restaurant date go with the hubby? Not as demotivating as feared, I hope?

Sometimes we do too much to quickly and injury occurs. It happened to my knee a couple years ago, I still have issues with it most mornings. But do whatever your doc tells you, eat to your goal (not hundreds of calories under) and have fun happy time with the husband. There are some good suggestions on this thread for exercises that will keep you off the foot. Have you replaced smoking with some other hand-busy-work yet? My go to is crochet.

Good luck and happy healing!!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 ankle injuries over the past several years -- the first one healed up nicely in less than 2 weeks while the other took almost 10 months but I did Bikram yoga 3-4 days a week while it was healing and gained a lot of flexibility while I wasn't running -- no problems with either ankle since then.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I injured my ankle running but could cycle on it no problem.
  • dorener
    Options
    Oh hey I remember you. How did the restaurant date go with the hubby? Not as demotivating as feared, I hope?

Sometimes we do too much to quickly and injury occurs. It happened to my knee a couple years ago, I still have issues with it most mornings. But do whatever your doc tells you, eat to your goal (not hundreds of calories under) and have fun happy time with the husband. There are some good suggestions on this thread for exercises that will keep you off the foot. Have you replaced smoking with some other hand-busy-work yet? My go to is crochet.

Good luck and happy healing!!

Hi, thanks for remembering. I actually updated that post yesterday. It went fantastic - I planned ahead, was able to have two cocktails, eat a healthy meal and even have two bites of my husbands dessert and still stayed at 1200 calories for the day! It was an awesome night out and I really didn't feel like I sacrificed much and my husband could see I could still be fun and healthy!
  • dorener
    Options
    Thanks all. Swimming and cycle are out as it has to be things I can do at home (4 kids and career, no getting out for me), but the floor barre, chair exercises and yoga sound like great options! I'll check youtube for videos I can follow. Thank you.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have a stand for my bike. It's set up in front of a TV. Very worth the small effort.