Need no salt/sugar dressing and sauces recipes

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I need to be on a low salt low sugar diet for a few weeks.
I have very limited ideas regarding salad and grilled meat/fish/chicken sauces and dressings.
I end up with lemon/EVOO or yoghurt/EVOO/herbs combos, and the second is not that good with zero salt.
I need more ideas!

Replies

• UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Look up the Eat to Live Diet and nutritarian philosophy. There are a lot of recipes available for making your own dressings.

This is a good place to start:

http://www.healthygirlskitchen.com/2011/09/big-list-of-no-oil-salad-dressings.html
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will check it.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Some ideas: Blend:
    lemon juice, ginger, sesame seeds;
    collards (or kale) - tough stems removed - garlic, crushed red pepper, EVOO;
    avocado, cilantro, jalapenos, lime;
    tomatoes, garlic, basil;
    cucumber, garlic, mint, dill;
    tomatoes, onion, roasted bell pepper;
    cucumber, dill, lemon, EVOO or yogurt;

If your issue with sugar is added sugar and you are eating fruit try some classic combinations like bell peppers/mangoes; winter squash/coconut milk
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You will find that you will have to depend on the natural flavour of the food. Only use the freshest meats and vegetables to start.

I found when I went low salt that my tastes switched to the stronger tasting vegetables like parsnip.

For adding a bit of zing to savoury dishes, try onion, garlic, celery, and pepper.

For a meat-based sauce, try roasting the meat and saving the drippings. You may add wine also to the drippings, let much of it boil away, scraping up all the tasty bits. Thicken with flour or cornstarch.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Marinara sauce with NO salt from trader joes, then add your own pepper, onion and garlic powder! Put over chicken, a little low fat mozzarella mmm