Gaining 10-20 lbs per year

Options
2»

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Find things you love that you can afford, in terms of both calories and dollars. Go to the animal shelter and help socialize pets. Volunteer at the library. Audition for community theatre (or help out backstage). Color. Start a garden. Try different board games to see which you like best, then invite friends over for a game night. Learn a craft like knitting or carpentry.

Then, when you finish your meal, do something you love. :)
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm back...after being away for a year. Update: A year ago, my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I'm happy to report it was a very treatable cancer and she is in remission and will most likely stay there. But that's when it all went down hill. I stopped going to the gym, I stopped worrying about what I was eating. In my mind, I had more important things to worry about than my weight.

I am now 23 lbs heavier than I was a year ago. The most weight I've gained in a year's time, and I keep getting bigger and bigger. There is no motivation to lose weight, no motivation to go to the gym. I fear that I've given up. A friend of mine on FB has lost over 100 lbs (in a year's time) and she continues to lose. I'm jealous, envious, and confused as too how she is doing it. She seems so motivated, so driven. And here I am, drinking a Starbucks mocha that has 470 calories.

To be honest, I'm scared. Scared of what the future holds for me if I can't get myself under control. The trend of gaining 10-20 lbs is still going and now it seems to be more like a steady 20 lbs a year. I am just...lost.

You have to want it.

None of us here can want it for you. We can tell you how to lose weight (through creating a calorie deficit) but we can't make you.

When you want to lose weight more than you want to overeat you will get there.

x
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Gaining 10 to 20 lbs a year is 1 or 1.5 lbs a month . 1 lb is 3500 calories that means you were overeating 125 to 200 calories a day. 200 calories is not a lot. You can decrease that in eating less or exercising more. No need for dramatic lifestyle change. Eat a tiny bit less and take an extra walk a day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    "Tough love" here. You need to get on top of this now. I gained 5-10 lbs per year for 25 years. I ended up at 300+ pounds, could barely get out of chair, couldn't walk more than 1/4 mile without rest, had to take several breaks to walk up my own steep driveway, etc. My labs were good aside from slight insulin resistance and gradually increasing but still OK blood pressure. I thought that if I didn't have diabetes by age 50 I was "safe" and wouldn't get it. Wrong. Weight gain will catch up with you when you least expect it and then you really have your job laid out. You have lots of good tips here. Start by weighing and logging your food on MFP, see how everything lays out, then start making choices about where to cut. As said above, a couple hundred calories a day will make a big difference. I realized that I would need to make changes for the rest of my life. I could either manage my eating or manage a disease(s) caused by obesity. That made the choice easy.
    PS-I lost 145 lbs over 2 1/2 years, ran a 5k last summer, walk several miles a day, swim, lift, etc. A stunning turnaround that I still can't quite comprehend.