Does anybody use the Wii?

Options
2»

Replies

• __Fatty2Fitty__
    __Fatty2Fitty__ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can't do too much you see as I havent been walking long after having too learn too walk again after an awful accident so the Wii is the most I can do at the moment in all honesty :( I thought it might help as the calories are listed as being burned off when you use the Wii
  • vraesgame
    vraesgame Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use Just Dance to workout with my kids. I can burn as many calories doing that as I can taking a long walk. While my 6 year old picks a song I'll do some push ups, squats, lunges, etc, and get my cardio in while dancing. I've also used gold gym cardio workout. I have more fun doing the dancing with my kids though.
  • __Fatty2Fitty__
    Options
    You HAVE to MOVE I like wii boxing and tennis. I want wii fit for my birthday in august and I would also like the horse racing game. The boxing is a great calorie burner if you move as if your boxing per game instructions. Same with the tennis. Im all over the living room with the tennis lol

I do use my whole body with both tennis and boxing as well as I can I'll hopefully get more active as I get stronger (hopefully) although professionals have said I'll be "crippled" for life
  • suwala2t
    suwala2t Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    DDR is one of my most favorite cardio exercises, i could play DDR on the wii every night for hours, if it didn't annoy all the people in my house. I dont know about wii fit, i imagine the workout is only as good as the effort you put into it.

We seriously need DDR to come up with new disks. Unless someone knows something different, ever since Wii U was introduced, they have discontinued DDR and I'm getting tired of the same old music (and I have all of the disks). Let's start a petition!! LOL

Indeed! I have a bunch of them on my PS2 and I play with them every now and then so I will join you in your quest!
    DDR is one of my most favorite cardio exercises, i could play DDR on the wii every night for hours, if it didn't annoy all the people in my house. I dont know about wii fit, i imagine the workout is only as good as the effort you put into it.

We seriously need DDR to come up with new disks. Unless someone knows something different, ever since Wii U was introduced, they have discontinued DDR and I'm getting tired of the same old music (and I have all of the disks). Let's start a petition!! LOL

There is a program you can download called StepMania. It literally has ALOT of songs on it. However, you will need a dance mat with a USB connector to your laptop/computer to play it. I've been a bit interested in it in the past, but didn't find a cheap dance mat with USB to a computer so never went through with it.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit Plus and I love it. I use it about 4-5 times a week. I mostly do the Free Run, Free Step, and Super Hula. I also enjoy the Yoga and Strength Training section along with some of the Balance games but there are quite a lot of other activities that are available but those 5 are my main ones. I wouldn't consider it high intensity, but I have broken a sweat and it serves it's purpose. It gets me moving and burns some calories.
  • __Fatty2Fitty__
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit Plus and I love it. I use it about 4-5 times a week. I mostly do the Free Run, Free Step, and Super Hula. I also enjoy the Yoga and Strength Training section along with some of the Balance games but there are quite a lot of other activities that are available but those 5 are my main ones. I wouldn't consider it high intensity, but I have broken a sweat and it serves it's purpose. It gets me moving and burns some calories.

Do you reckon the calories burnt section on here is correct for the Wii sports then?
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii, but I use Just Dance on the Xbox one, along with Zumba world fitness. OMG, so much fun and I work up a sweat easily. The game and MFP says 30 min is 220 calories, but I am not totally sure about that. It feels like it LOL.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options

Do you reckon the calories burnt section on here is correct for the Wii sports then?

When I enter my calories burned from the Wii (It tells me the estimated burn after each exercise) into the MFP database, the Wii's is usually higher and I go by the Wii. There is definitely room for error on all counts but I don't eat back my exercise calories.

On the Wii Fit, calorie burn is done by using METS (Metabolic Equivalent Task). Each activity has a METS # which is the intensity of the workout. For instance running is considered MET# 5.

To calculate you would take the METS# x (Your Weight) x (Hours) x 0.48 = Calories Burned

According to this article http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19997034, I would say Wii Sport Tennis is MET#2-3 so you could use the above formula to calculate how many calories you would burn.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Calorie burns in MFP are general estimates. A lot of calorie burns are pretty generous. Start by using 50% of the calorie burn amount. Then see how your weight loss correlates. You can tweak the numbers up or down based on your actual experience.
  • JulesAtkinson1
    JulesAtkinson1 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I use it. I have the WiiFit Plus, the Wii Active, the Wii Active 2 and a couple of Just Dance games. I wear a heart rate monitor so I can see where I'm at in between activities in order to keep my HR in an aerobic state. There are some people who just basically go through the arm motions, although the Wii Active has an arm and a leg sensor, but I'm not sure why a person who's interested in using these for physical fitness would simply stand in one spot and move their arm that has the controller in it anyway.
    Like everything else, you get out of it what you put into it. I can easily burn up to 400 calories after an hour of Just Dance, IF I actually go hard at it and keep my heart rate up between songs by jogging in place, jumping jacks, etc. I use this in cold and inclement weather to keep me motivated or if I end up working late. After the initial startup costs, it's cheaper and more convenient than a gym membership. It can get monotonous if you do the same over again, so keep changing up the ones you really like in order to stay focused and energetic. If you get bored, alternate the games with a bike ride or a walk. You may not burn as much as say, a spin class or a Nordic Trak, but if you put an all out effort into the steps and movements, you can really burn some calories. It's really up to you.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

i went through all the Wii discs, and the Xbox discs too
  • DeannaLD13
    DeannaLD13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We have all the Just Dance discs and I especially think the 2014 and 2015 versions make a great workout! We also have some of the Wii Fit and Wii Cheer but don't feel you get that much of a workout with them. Plus it's something you can do at home if you can't get outside, to the gym, etc.
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I use the WII with the balance board and find it works well when I can't go swim. It has helped my balance issues.
  • __Fatty2Fitty__
    Options
    Thankyou all xx
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I use My Fitness Coach on the Wii, the original edition not the second one (which I hear sucks). It is an awesome exercise program especially if you have some equipement at home like free weights, a step or a balance ball. You can choose a focus for every work out (upper body, lower body, core, flexibility). The cardio part is HIIT especially if you have a HRM and somehow the avatar knows exactly when to yell out "move move move" or "push it"! Plus she has a sense of humour (eventhough it gets a little old after 150+ workouts with her).

I also like the cardio boxing game from Gold's Gym for the Wii although honestly lately I simply use MyFitness Coach on the Wii and Zumba on the XBOX.

Other fitness Wii games that I have but don't use: EA active series, Walk it out (cute I finished it and it is not enough exercise for me but you can play it with 2 people so my 8 year old and I have fun walking around his neighbourhood sometimes), the DDR games (but my 11 year old is just too good for me!)

I have other games for the XBOX. I love the convenience and variety of exergaming and am always looking for new MFP friends :)

• DeannaLD13
    DeannaLD13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention we have 2 Wii Zumba discs if you like that kind of thing. They're my DD's. I didn't really care for it. The routines were harder to work out with than the Just Dance discs.
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    there's also the Disney DDR game and a gamecube game DDR Mario Mix that can be played in the wii- Both are awesome :)