Increase protein intake

Options
2»

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    When I buy broccoli at the grocery store, it's a "lazy" way to get broccoli (compared to growing it myself). That doesn't mean it isn't okay.

LOL I think if I had to kill my own chicken for my protein I'd be vegan!!! :D

I think that's actually a pretty common reason to go vegan (not *having* to do it, but realizing one wouldn't be willing to do it).

I wish I didn't enjoy meat like I do. :( I have toyed with not eating meat any more, and we have reduced our intake but I can't totally imagine it off the menu. I do make sure though we buy ethically sourced meats from local farmers and boycott factory farming methods. :|
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I buy broccoli at the grocery store, it's a "lazy" way to get broccoli (compared to growing it myself). That doesn't mean it isn't okay.

LOL I think if I had to kill my own chicken for my protein I'd be vegan!!! :D

I think that's actually a pretty common reason to go vegan (not *having* to do it, but realizing one wouldn't be willing to do it).

I wish I didn't enjoy meat like I do. :( I have toyed with not eating meat any more, and we have reduced our intake but I can't totally imagine it off the menu. I do make sure though we buy ethically sourced meats from local farmers and boycott factory farming methods. :|

I also enjoyed meat a great deal. It's fairly common among vegans, I think. Many of us are major foodies and meat is tasty stuff.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Your target is probably twice what you need, so your current intake is about right. :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

It's actually easier than you think right now. I was a pescetarian (fish, eggs, milk) for 8 years and I never thought I could go vegan because I would have to give up so much... Now I see I was worried for nothing. "Ethically sourced" animal products are a way to fool yourself - if you really don't want to pay for animal suffering, then.. you know what to do. A lot of the ethically sourced/organic labels are only there to sell the product. Many of the methods they use still bring just as much suffering as factory farming. (Like with free range/more ethical chicken eggs, the boy chicks are still slaughtered like normal, when buying organic pasture-fed free dairy products it's the same as buying veal meat, etc...)

I also enjoyed meat a great deal. It's fairly common among vegans, I think. Many of us are major foodies and meat is tasty stuff.

^^So much this. When I stopped eating mammals and birds at first, I never did it because I hated the food. There were many meat dishes that I considered delicious (and traditional among my family!), even some of my favorites probably. I have slowly learned to prefer veggie foods over animal based stuff over the years. In the beginning I thought I was missing out on a lot, it's natural to think that way.