Cottage Cheese in place of ricotta cheese for lasagna??

hope516
hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
Hi everyone. I am not much of a cook and was wondering if it would be a good idea to use cottage cheese in place of ricotta cheese in a lasagna recipe?

Does the cottage cheese melt?

I don't even know if the calorie count would be beneficial I just have cottage cheese at home and not ricotta. Does anyone know if this trade would be better calorie wise, or if ricotta would be better.

any tips and advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    i always make it with cottage cheese and it tastes great to me, but hey i am not much of a cook either! :)
  • missbossypants
    missbossypants Posts: 42 Member
    I have always made mine with cottage cheese. It does not melt, but it does soften a bit. Think of the cottage cheese as ricotta "nuggets" rather than a layer of ricotta cheese you would normally have! Enter the amount of ricotta you would use, then enter the cottage cheese to see if the switch is beneficial. My guess would be yes.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Being part Italian, I would tell you don't do it and just buy part-skim ricotta. The type I buy is fairly comparable to the type of cottage cheese I buy. HOWEVER, you can make the cottage cheese creamer (since it's not really melty) by mixing it up with a hand mixer.
  • hope516
    thanks to you both...

so do you use a 1/1 ratio...

if the recipe calls for a cup, use a cup of cottage cheese instead?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Personally, I think cottage cheese is awful in lasagna. It's saltier, it doesn't melt, and the curd texture is unpleasant to me. Odd - because I like cottage cheese on its own. Maybe try processing the cottage cheese to be a smoother texture, like ricotta.
  • hope516
    x311Tifa wrote: »
    Being part Italian, I would tell you don't do it and just buy part-skim ricotta. The type I buy is fairly comparable to the type of cottage cheese I buy. HOWEVER, you can make the cottage cheese creamer (since it's not really melty) by mixing it up with a hand mixer.

thanks. I can't imagine the texture will be the same. I am just being lazy lol. I dont want to have to run to the store again. but I like the idea of mixing it with the mixer. thanks
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    I've made it both ways. I kinda prefer the cottage cheese. I mix mine with an egg first so its not quite so runny. Yes, I just use the equivalent amount to ricotta. (I actually don't measure the cheeses when I cook. When I make lasagna, I just go for it, lots of cheese and sauce.)
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    I do a 1:1 swap with cottage cheese. I tend to just smash it up, and I use an extra egg because cottage cheese has more liquid than ricotta. Taste-wise I don't notice a difference.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    My mother always used 16 ounces of cottage cheese mixed with two beaten eggs in place of ricotta cheese, so that's what I do. The eggs provide bonus protein.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    hope516 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am not much of a cook and was wondering if it would be a good idea to use cottage cheese in place of ricotta cheese in a lasagna recipe?

Does the cottage cheese melt?

I don't even know if the calorie count would be beneficial I just have cottage cheese at home and not ricotta. Does anyone know if this trade would be better calorie wise, or if ricotta would be better.

any tips and advice is greatly appreciated.

I grew up eating lasagna with cottage cheese. It is okay taste wise but texture is different. I prefer ricotta.
    Calories are going to depend on what fat percent cottage cheese vs ricotta you have. Might be different amounts of sodium.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    My mom always made ours with cottage cheese. They don't like the ricotta texture mostly and the cost secondly . Small curds is the way to go. I'll go either way, usually cottage cheese just out of family tradition.
  • hope516
    edited February 2016
    thanks everyone, this has been extremely helpful.

My recipe did not call for the egg...is it highly suggested?

ETA, sorry I know I am helpless. lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I usually make mine with cottage cheese because I almost always have cottage cheese but rarely have ricotta and it's fairly long trip to the store for me. I put the cottage cheese in the food processor so that it's creamy instead of curdy.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member

The egg is to help be a binder so it doesn't fall apart, but I never find it to be necessary myself. Extra protein though. :grin:
  • Need2Exerc1se

I've never used an egg but considering I always have too many eggs maybe I should.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Being half Italian, don't do it. It's sacrilege lol. Just my opinion, obviously others like it but I'd go buy the ricotta it males such a better lasagna.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Low fat ricotta cheese, I've always used eggs with my ricotta. I've used farmers cheese before too, it came out good.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    You can mix the cottage cheese with some parmesan, oregano, and an egg.
  • I've always used small curd cottage cheese and everyone loves it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Being half Italian, don't do it. It's sacrilege lol. Just my opinion, obviously others like it but I'd go buy the ricotta it males such a better lasagna.

Most of the Italians I know use cottage cheese.