Socks for running

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Smartwool socks are my favorite.

Mine too! Thicker ones in winter, thinner in summer - feet stay comfy, no blisters. Love 'em.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    My favorite are DryMax. I also have FitSok (great value compared to the premium brands) and Balega which are nice, but DryMax are by far my favorites.

Avoid cotton socks like the plague. You want socks that will wick that moisture away, particularly for longer distances.

I used to use synthetic socks from Costco, and they worked just fine up to about 3 or 4 miles, but after that even those started causing blisters. Socks marketed as running socks may be overpriced, but they make a difference after you get into longer distances.

More than anything, though, your shoes need to fit properly. You want a snug heel so there's no moving around and a large enough toe box that you're not getting any friction up there either.
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    Blisters are generally caused by two main culprits, moisture and friction. The reason that you haven't had the issue on shorter runs is probably because your socks haven't had enough time to soak up all the sweat, and you haven't had enough time for the repeated friction to develop a blister.

For me, anything under 3-4 miles I'm good with a single pair of socks. Over that, I opt for 2 pairs. It helps to absorb more of the sweat, makes the shoes a little tighter so they can't rub as much, and if they do rub, they tend to rub against each other and not against my skin.

I'm thinking it was this because yesterday was the first time I noticed how darn sweaty my socks were. Makes sense!