You: weight lost = running comfortable/fun?

Options
Pre-story: I previously lost about 85 lbs and then (sadly!) re-gained about half of that weight again. I'm making another go at losing weight, and I currently weight 214.

I noticed during my previous weight-loss streak that I came to a particular weight where suddenly I found it to be much, MUCH more comfortable to run. (As in, fewer aches and pains during the actual run, and fewer aches and pains later in the day.)

Although I got to a point in my weight-loss where running became noticeably more comfortable, I never quite got to a point where running became noticeably fun. So I'm wondering two (--well, four) things:
  1. (what's your height
  2. and gender)
  3. Where was your "less than X lbs" weight threshold for running to become comfortable?
  4. And how much more did you lose before running became noticeably fun?

I'd really like to become a runner (well, a jogger, at least!) some day... but don't want to push it too soon. (In the future, I don't plan to be serious about trying to run until I get below that weight, because I feel like I'll do more damage to my body than good...) So I'm sticking with inclined treadmill walking, for now. I'd like to become fit enough to try a C25k program (or similar) some day, but don't want to start it before I feel like I'll be able to actually enjoy it by the end.

Anyways... For me... 5'6", Female, and "Comfortable threshold" was less than 190 lbs.

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This is a bit extreme but when I was 123lb a couple of years ago I felt like a was floating in the wind and run a 21 minute 5k.
    My heart rate was lower from less stress too.
    I was a little underweight at that point but I was on a mission to find my racing weight.
    At 132lb I feel like a sack of potatoes.
    At 127lb I'm much happier and faster and less injury prone.
    I'm 5'7" fine boned and 45.
    I miss running at a really light weight to be honest but it's just not realistic or sustainable.
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    @Springfield1970 Wow! Yes, a bit more extreme than I was expecting, but I'm so glad you shared! :smile: Good point to mention your body frame size. I have a large (or medium?) frame --it's hard to really know when you're overweight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Running is most comfortable when I'm 185 or less...when I'm 175 I almost feel like a feather both running and on my bike.

I've never found running to be fun...I'm not a runner other than once per week or so...I loath it...I've never found distance running to be fun; it's just something I suck it up and do once per week because it's a good way to cross train and as a matter of general fitness I think being able to at least run a half way decent 5K is kind of important. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination...but I don't come in dead last either.
  • mudder14
    mudder14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dont have a frame of reference for body size when running, my size has been pretty stable but I can say keep @ it. All runners have a period that just sucks. Some its the first mile, others its the 2nd or 3rd. Im sure as your body does change the physicality of the run does as well but the more you go out (think weeks & months not miles), it does getter better & eventually fun.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I run quite a bit. Over 10,000 miles in the last decade. And I still wouldn't call it "fun". If I could take a magic pill and keep all my physiological benefits I would do it in a heartbeat and sit on the couch playing video games, watching movies, doing puzzles or painting or models etc. But I also don't think sitting in a bar having a chat is very fun either - much rather run with someone for an hour+ and chat that way. To me working out is a part-time job that pays me in health and wellness. Running happens to be a job with a high hourly rate. And all the competitiveness, getting faster, winning (or not) is a bonus.

As for weight I don't think it matters below a certain point. It matters for how FAST you can go at a certain effort but even at 190+ I could run 10+ km at a time and not be wrecked. And I think that's where people fall apart - they try too hard and so it hurts and so they hate it. Think about walking - who hates walking? Most people can walk all day if they are so inclined. Running doesn't have to be too much harder. But of course when you're starting out, it is. Like becoming skilled at a violin, it takes a crapload of time and practice.
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 years old next month, 5'10" and find that running is really hard on my knees if I weigh over 185.

After my pregnancies, I dieted and used my spin bike to drop a dozen lbs or so until I felt 'light' enough to run comfortably (meaning with less chafing, bouncing, and stress on the knees).

I started to really feel good running at 175 and below. I'm at 167 now, and I'm motivated to get down to 160 so the runs will be even easier!! Losing weight makes a HUGE difference in my comfort level!
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I also has cesarean births, and I was really afraid to run in the first half year post partum. Hence the spinning.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am 5"10 and have gone from 335 to 168 pounds, and running is still not fun, I but I can walk for over 12 miles day.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 years young, 5'2", and have been a runner most of my life. At 140-145 I'm a blob. 130-140- getting there. Under 130, starting to enjoy it. Under 125, can fly like the wind.

I hate excess fat jiggling, and love when it's gone and it's just a trim me. I don't have a thin runners physique. I'm a little stocky, and am currently at 124.
  • SacredCoffee
    SacredCoffee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is interesting! I'm almost 33 and 5'7", female. I started at 320 and I'm now at 250, I can jog pretty comfortably for the first 1/4 mile and then I start to feel pretty clunky like a horse haha! I'm hoping when I reach my first goal of 200 it will feel a little better, then more from there! (goal is 160 lbs total).
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    5'7", female. Same boat as you. Lost 85, gained some back, now at 187. Running became more comfortable at 165-170, but I hated it at 145 and I hated it at 231. Some people just hate running. I can bicycle or hike for hours, but running still sucks.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    5'7" female 36yo former runner.

200# is my I can do it number.
    180# is my fun number.
    235# is my you really should just walk number.

203# is today's number.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

5'4"
    Female
    Running was more comfortable once I got into the 140s
    I quit running because I never thought it was fun. I hate it. Haven't put on a pair of running shoes in a year or so.
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    1. (what's your height
    and gender)
    6'01 male
    2. Where was your "less than X lbs" weight threshold for running to become comfortable?
    I find it really makes a difference in terms of how fast I run but not as much in overall enjoyment and I think it's because as I lose weight I add strain by running longer or faster. I start enjoying running more when I get into longer runs, I think there is an endorphin effect.
    3. And how much more did you lose before running became noticeably fun?
    I used to weigh 205, and it was definitely harder. I think mid 170s is my sweet spot for running since in years past when I was really into it that's where my weight would stabilize. I believe it's thinner than I want to be though.

What I do to protect my aching bones and joints is to buy good running shoes, to do flexibility work like yoga, make sure to do strength work to help protect joints, especially the knee, and choose where you run wisely. I can run loops around the park on the concrete sidewalk and absorb the beating it gives me or I can run beside it on grass and let it cushion the impact. On longer runs I try to keep to softer surfaces like dirt trails, grass or rubberized track. They might make it harder to run fast but they are fantastic for offsetting the extra weight. A really awesome one is the beach it will be a really hard run but you can train your cardiovascular system without much impact...the view is a bonus
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Male
    5ft 11
    current weight 182lbs.
    170-175 and i feel noticeably better on runs.
    I take inspiration from people like Doug Fernandez, 6ft, 190lbs, aged 54:

https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/40994207/profile
  • Br3ntG
    Br3ntG Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1. 6ft / 183cm
    2. Male
    3. Less than 154 lb / 70 kg is much more comfortable for me
    4. Now at 149 lb / 68 kg and running is great fun and I'm improving my times consistently.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I am female and 5'4''. I have never been heavier than about 168lbs, and have always found running to be both comfortable and fun. However, I was fastest at running when I was 116lbs (I am 126lbs now and trying to get back under 120 to run better).
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    5' 2.5" female, running suddenly became a LOT easier when I got under 145 (I still don't find it fun though)
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    5'8 55 yr male. At 200lbs jogging just a bit was a chore. At 168 it was much easier and I could go for longer periods of time. 170 has been my most stable weight and doing a 5K or half is not a problem. But the "fun" part of running is for me all about where I am and when I go. Every day is not a race or a work out. It is time to take in the sights. Running in the city for me is no fun at any weight. Running at the shore early morning or an after work trail run (finish before dusk if I can) is extremely enjoyable. Only caveat is any run is fun if I am with my wife.
  • SarahIluvatariel
    SarahIluvatariel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys! These responses are awesome and exactly what I was looking for! :smile:

I'm definitely jealous of those of you who can run on a beach. haha :wink:
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ...as a matter of general fitness I think being able to at least run a half way decent 5K is kind of important. I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination...but I don't come in dead last either.
    @cwolfman13 - I like that "general fitness" philosophy - I think that's why learning to be a runner has subconsciously been a semi-goal for me.

@gdyment - Interesting to know that it's still not exactly fun! :wink: By the way, thanks (I think it was you, at least) for the info/link about the double-layered WriteSocks that you shared in another post. I'll have to remember to look into those if/when I eventually get serious about running. (I learned to play the violin as an adult and played for about 5-6 years. So I know what you mean by lots of time and practice! haha. Although I wouldn't say I ever became very skilled in that amount of time... Interesting that you compare that to running... definitely some food for thought.)
    ... I'm hoping when I reach my first goal of 200 it will feel a little better, then more from there! ...
    @SacredCoffee - Me too! Keep at it - you're doing awesome so far! :smile:
    mrp56839 wrote: »
    ... is my you really should just walk number.
    @mrp56839 - haha, I like how you phrase that. Yeah, I agree that there truly is a "you really should just walk" threshold. Don't want to cause more damage than good!
    fbinsc wrote: »
    ... 2. Where was your "less than X lbs" weight threshold for running to become comfortable?
    I find it really makes a difference in terms of how fast I run but not as much in overall enjoyment and I think it's because as I lose weight I add strain by running longer or faster. ...
    @fbinsc - Interesting point! I tend to go faster or longer as soon as I think I can. But maybe I should hold back a little until the weight comes off more....
    fbinsc wrote: »
    ... On longer runs I try to keep to softer surfaces like dirt trails, grass or rubberized track. They might make it harder to run fast but they are fantastic for offsetting the extra weight. A really awesome one is the beach it will be a really hard run but you can train your cardiovascular system without much impact...the view is a bonus
    @fbinsc - Also a great point that running doesn't have to be fast to have all the benefits.
    djscavone wrote: »
    ... But the "fun" part of running is for me all about where I am and when I go. ...
    @djscavone - For now I'm just a treadmill person, but I hope when I get decent at running (i.e. when I no longer require the little metrics as motivation to keep going) I can try it outside... in the spring/summer/fall. haha. I'm too much of a wimp to want to run outside in the winter. :wink: But, yes, I imagine that a good view can make a great difference.