coworker says she doesn't drink FUJI water, due to salt issues.

Options
so water isnt JUST water? help me out, oh mighty MFPs.

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Pure water (demineralized/distilled) does not taste good, neither is it good for you because it is an aggressive solvent.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Some waters are electrolitically enhanced. Usually that means they add some form of mineral, often sodium. Fiji apparently has sodium, potassium, magnesium, and chloride per their website
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    From their FAQs-"Fuji water contains electrolytes."

If someone has an electrolyte balance issue, it could be a problem for them.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any bottled water you drink has minerals added to it. Some of them are for adding minerals to your diet, some of them are for making it safe to drink. As in, killing bacteria and the like that makes people sick. To my knowledge, none of the minerals added are dangerous, though I'm one of a small group of people that can taste them, so I don't drink plain water.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Some waters contain sodium.. Dasani, for instance.

p9HpW7YV9eSiC08R4A7MJV47D4Hl2Drg_lg.jpg
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    theres one brand of bottled water... i forget which now (its none of the ones i regularly buy)..... but i wont drink it because it has a salty taste to me.

maybe that one tastes salty or 'mineraly' to her....
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Some waters contain sodium.. Dasani, for instance.

But not enough for it to add to sodium content there is even a teeny weeny bit in rain water
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm hypertensive so I have to keep my sodium in check...I've never come across a bottled water with even remotely close to enough sodium in it for me to even spend an ounce of energy worrying about.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I mixed my crystal light while in grad school with "pure water".

It kind of tastes like Nalgene tubing. My well water is much tastier.

Jokes aside, most people would prefer the taste of the water with the minerals bottled water companies add.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    For note, there are sparkling waters with enough sodium in them to warrant a reading on the label under "sodium." I kind of watch out for those. Otherwise, if the amount of salt is so negligible that it doesn't have to be reported on the label, I'm not going to be worried about it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The water I'm drinking has:

276 mg (HCO3)-
    170 mg (SO4)2-
    84.2 mg Ca
    45.3 mg Mg
    33 mg Cl
    21.9 mg Na

per 1 liter. Nothing of it added, all coming from the rocks the spring is in where the water comes from.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a first world problem to me. I'd be tempted to line up a whole bunch of FUJI bottles on my desk and drink them one by one....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    By the way, I just finished reading a scholarly book about seventeenth century peasantry in France. You know what their drink was? River water, contaminated or not, left to sit in fruit peelings. The french peasants may have made wine, but it was too expensive to drink except for special occasions. The wine was sold.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I will never understand what people waste so much time and energy on these bizarre little food peculiarities which have no bearing on their health and yet think that counting calories and a little exercise is "too much work" or they think nothing of eating other things with hundreds of times more of the stuff they're scared of...it's so weird.

Worrying about less than 1 mg of sodium in your water when you're consuming it in larger amounts with every meal seems ludicrous.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I will never understand what people waste so much time and energy on these bizarre little food peculiarities which have no bearing on their health and yet think that counting calories and a little exercise is "too much work" or they think nothing of eating other things with hundreds of times more of the stuff they're scared of...it's so weird.

Worrying about less than 1 mg of sodium in your water when you're consuming it in larger amounts with every meal seems ludicrous.

my thoughts exactly. she sounded like an idiot talking about it. i dri k whatever water i can get my hands on. except bath water or toilet water OBVIOUSLY.
  • Lycan_
    Lycan_ Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    most bottled water is just repackaged tap water. Unless you live in Flint, MI or a third world country, bottled water is just a waste of money.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    so water isnt JUST water? help me out, oh mighty MFPs.

I don't drink Fiji water due to ecological and human rights issues.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/09/fiji-spin-bottle
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

So totally with you on this one. What a distraction.

Heed the mighty MFP wisdom. Ignore co-worker.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    ty.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Why anyone would choose to buy Dasani is beyond me.