Options
2»

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    CollieFit wrote: »

There are however options to agree a certain number of sessions, such as 5 or 10, and then jointly review the position and see if the client feels she is managing better. Therapy doesn't *have* to be open ended.

This is helpful, I didn't know that. I may need to limit it at first, I can only take so many extra babysitting jobs so I can't guarantee being able to continue 6 Mos from now so my counselor should be aware of that right?

Absolutely. :-)

Be very open about your financial position. If the time is right for you and you've found the right person, there is plenty that can be achieved in six months. I am always really humbled by how hard people work and how motivated people are, and certainly would never "drag out" a therapy to keep someone paying when they are not benefitting. I would consider that completely unethical. The most important thing is a strong rapport between you and your therapist. I think it's really essential, as telling someone your innermost stuff takes MUCH courage and trust. Personally I like to do joint reviews every six weeks to see how we're getting on, if the client desires a change of focus etc. My approach is one of "team work", rather than the "doer" and the "done to" and find it is what most people also like best. Sometimes people can have unrealistic expectations and think we have a magic wand which we can wave around and fix things with no real input or cooperation from the client, like someone dropping the car off with a mechanic kind of thing. That can be very difficult, but you sound really motivated. I hope things go well for you. xx
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    lorimc71 wrote: »
    May I recommend CBT Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. See if your counselor is trained for it. If not, find one. It saved my life. The first appointment is to be open and honest of what you want to get out of being there. I would also interview the counselor and make sure they are going to do their part. There are some that will just listen to you "forever"but never really give you to tools you need to get better.

I'm speaking from the experience of being in therapy and being the therapist. You have every right to ask what their credentials and specialties are. The only person giving medications should be an MD (or maybe an NP or PA). But they usually don't do talk therapy. They should be discussing what your goals for treatment are, and working with you on how you know you will reach your goals. And like others said, be honest with them about all aspects of treatment, including your financial situation.

Cognitive behavioral therapy is useful for depression, anxiety, low self worth...and what I like about much of it is that there are tools you can take home and work on in between sessions. The effectiveness of treatment has so many factors-the relationship between the therapist and client, the issues, the work the patient does outside of sessions, other stressors that arise during treatment...and sometimes it does take a few tries to find a therapist you "click" with. Don't hesitate to ask for a referral to someone else if you don't feel that "click". A good therapist worth their salt should be able to recognize when it's best to refer on for the benefit of the patient, or when they know of another provider who would be better suited for their situation.

My first therapist was a psychoanalytic therapist (think Freud-daddy issues and all that). We did NOT work out and I quickly stopped going. My second therapist was CBT oriented-and was able to obtain an accurate diagnosis, which helped her to focus treatment much more effectively ot my situation. She made a difference for me.

Best wishes as you move forwards!