Who is lent/fasting 40 days for Easter?

Options
Anyone is doing this?? What are they going to eat and not eat??

Replies

• JulietteNegri
    JulietteNegri Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some people will think I'm over-reacting, but Lent is a religious observation. It's not a fad diet.
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    It is.... but I wanted some tips if anyone can give me. Vegans. Any healthy way
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So are you vegan?

Are you religious?

Enjoy your spiritual journey if the latter
  • TheOriginalBeauty
    TheOriginalBeauty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some people will think I'm over-reacting, but Lent is a religious observation. It's not a fad diet.

Thank you for saying that...thank you! I'm Christian and celebrate it for spiritual reasons. So many people seem to use it for dieting purpose when it has a big meaning to others.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Off topic I realise o:)

Isn't it just the same as Easter and Christmas though?

Loads of us atheist people joining in and twisting the meaning to suit ourselves. I can see why some religious people wouldn't like it but it is going to happen.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Anyone is doing this?? What are they going to eat and not eat??

I'm not giving anything up. I did dry January as I'd drank far too much in December and I'll do a dry month in October after my summer holiday indulgence. That is enough giving up for me for a whole year :)
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up caffeine for lent, along with a few other people in my office so we can all be cranky together.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up sweets during the week--even my beloved dark 72% chocolate, and no red meat, only fish, along with fasting on fridays.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Agreed. I always observe Lent, as it's a part of my religion (Catholic). I would never think of it as a diet or weight-loss strategy.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Agreed. I always observe Lent, as it's a part of my religion (Catholic). I would never think of it as a diet or weight-loss strategy.

Exactly, and since Lent lasts only a month, it would be kind of silly to use it as a weight loss strategy.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I am an adult Catholic convert. During my first Lent or two I was very aggressive in my penances, in fact turning them into crash diet plans. That didn't work out well, either in spiritual fruit or in the promotion of improvements in my health.

I've learned to choose my penances more wisely. This year it's alcohol and ice cream, the former because I feel like I have come to enjoy it out of proportion to its purpose, the latter because everyone else in my household is doing that.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask your Priest about your particular congregation's practices. There are so many variances between even individual churches of the same faith.

I'm not Catholic, so maybe I'm just not up on it. I have heard of the fasting for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday as well as the meatless meals on Fridays, but I've never heard of complete fasting for the rest!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    As a first-time practitioner of Lent (despite my Catholic/Christian roots), I'd like to leave my already-aggressive diet the way it is, and instead take a break from negativity/negative thinking.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

...Associated customs

There are traditionally forty days in Lent which are marked by fasting, both from foods and festivities, and by other acts of penance. The three traditional practices to be taken up with renewed vigour during Lent are prayer (justice towards God), fasting (justice towards self), and almsgiving (justice towards neighbour).

However, in modern times, observers give up an action of theirs considered to be a vice, add something that is considered to be able to bring them closer to God, and often give the time or money spent doing that to charitable purposes or organizations.[31]

In addition, some believers add a regular spiritual discipline, such as reading a Lenten daily devotional.[6] Another practice commonly added is the singing of Stabat Mater hymn in designated groups. Among Filipino Catholics, the recitation of Jesus Christ' passion called Pasiong Mahal is also observed. In some Christian countries, grand religious processions and cultural customs are observed, and the faithful attempt to visit seven churches during Holy Week in honor of Jesus Christ heading to Mount Calvary.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    It is so as the other poster suggested. When I was younger the tradition was to give something up for lent. Now it is considered a time of spiritual meditation to prepare for the resurrection. I would suggest instead of giving something up you add something to your routine such as an exercise that can benefit your body or a commitment to eating healthy.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Loads of us atheist people joining in and twisting the meaning to suit ourselves. I can see why some religious people wouldn't like it but it is going to happen.

As an atheist, I can't imagine wanting to participate in Lent. Kinda defeats the purpose of being an atheist.
    But then again, I guess the debauchery of Mardi Gras is probably celebrated by a whole lot of non-religious folk as well.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Are fish filets on sale at McDonald's?

I need like 3 of those to fill me up and they are priced quite expensively at $4.

Let me know.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask your Priest about your particular congregation's practices. There are so many variances between even individual churches of the same faith.

I'm not Catholic, so maybe I'm just not up on it. I have heard of the fasting for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday as well as the meatless meals on Fridays, but I've never heard of complete fasting for the rest!

I assume it's just a reference to giving up something. That's called fasting too.

From the USCCB:
    A. Apart from the prescribed days of fast and abstinence on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, and the days of abstinence every Friday of Lent, Catholics have traditionally chosen additional penitential practices for the whole Time of Lent. These practices are disciplinary in nature and often more effective if they are continuous, i.e., kept on Sundays as well. That being said, such practices are not regulated by the Church, but by individual conscience.

And:
    14. For all other weekdays of Lent, we strongly recommend participation in daily Mass and a self-imposed observance of fasting. In the light of grave human needs which weigh on the Christian conscience in all seasons, we urge, particularly during Lent, generosity to local,national, and world programs of sharing of all things needed to translate our duty to penance into a means of implementing the right of the poor to their part in our abundance. We also recommend spiritual studies, beginning with the Scriptures as well as the traditional Lenten Devotions (sermons, Stations of the Cross, and the rosary), and all the self-denial summed up in the Christian concept of "mortification."

(Again, the "fasting" here is the same as the "additional penitential practices" above -- giving something up.)

Not that non-Catholics need to care what the Catholic practice is, and I have no idea what the OP's religion is, if any.
This discussion has been closed.