Calorie

I am new to Fitness Pal, and was wondering about the "enable negative adjustments" box. I run 5 days a week burn around 500-600 calories per run. I am linked with my Garmin watch. So by the end of the day, like today, I took almost 16,000 steps. Now My goal is to lose 1 pound/wk, I am set on "active". What has confused me is what amount of calories am I supposed to be consuming? Example today: Goal-1520 Food-1403 Exercise-1573=Remaining a whopping 1690 Calories! Is this number wrong? should I just eat my goal number? Must I disable negative adjustment box? Please help!

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    If you disabled negative adjustments then you'd get even more calories to eat, actually. Yes you need to eat more. Your adjustment for the day has canceled out your food intake. You burned off everything you ate and more. You can start with only eating 50% of your calories back. If you find that you are losing weight at a rate faster than you planned, you can increase the amount you eat back.
  • runner75
    runner75 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for your response. This is probably why I have been sluggish on my runs. I was eating my goal number and not any of my exercise calories. I will start by eating only half of them back and see how it goes, as you recommended. Thanks again!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    runner75 wrote: »
    Thank you for your response. This is probably why I have been sluggish on my runs. I was eating my goal number and not any of my exercise calories. I will start by eating only half of them back and see how it goes, as you recommended. Thanks again!

Yes, please do! I'm a runner also and when I started I used to "feel fine" and "not need" my exercise calories. I noticed my speed getting slower on my runs and one morning after about a month I tried to get out of bed and my body yelled "NOPE!" I read these forums thoroughly and started eating my exercise calories back and it made a tremendous difference. Now that I've been at this for a while, I eat 75 to 100% back and haven't gained a pound. You'll probably find as you experiment with your exercise calories that you can do the same. Good luck on your fitness journey!