I'm addicted to fast food!

Options
I've been working out for three weeks and the scale is not moving. I've been diligently journaling my food, I joined a gym last week! Yay, but I haven't lost any weight. I've actually gained weight. Yes, bad habits are hard to break and I've slipped up and ate fast food. I've tried to eat the healthy fast food choices. No luck, just disappointment on weigh day.

Replies

• nikkiplaysx
    nikkiplaysx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, a lot of the "healthy" fast food options are actually higher calorie than the general burgers and fries combo.

If your fast food cravings are centered around your lunch break at work, try packing a lunch with say, a sandwich, bottle of water, and a Tupperware of veggies and hummus (or ranch or peanut butter or whatever you feel like!) instead of eating fast food.

Slipping up isn't a big deal. It happens. It's okay. Just know that tomorrow is another day, and keep your goals in mind. Stick to it and you'll get there. :smile:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fast food won't effect your weight loss, except perhaps a temporary bump from the sodium, as long as you're maintaining your calorie deficit. Starting an exercise program can also cause a temporary bump, because it causes your muscles to retain water in order to repair themselves.
  • 2Derrick2424
    2Derrick2424 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Three weeks working out. What type of workout r u doing?
  • Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've never been addicted to any food as for some reason I've always enjoyed the healthy stuff so take this with a grain of salt: maybe start cooking your own meals, I get more excited to eat my own masterpieces than anything and since I made them I of course think they are the bomb-diggity.
    If you are just getting started as mentioned above don't rely too "heavily" on the scale. Get yourself a mirror and meticulously judge yourself. What works for one won't always work for another. Take it for what it's worth.
  • Nikkichanel_fitness
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice. I love to cook, but sometimes with my work schedule I grab fast food as a convience and it turns into days of binges. I started tracking my food since Jan. 25 and the last three weeks I take a lunch to work and make dinner. I'm trying to work out at least six times a week. I'm really trying to avoid fast food all together. This week I'm seeing the number on the scale going down!h73gwrhkpxgx.jpeg
  • Ilonnamacgregor1
    Options
    I used to crave fast food. Everytime I ate it, I found myself thinking about how disgusting it really is, not just about how bad it is for you, but how it is made and how long it sits under a heat lamp before it gets handed to me. Addiction is all mental and changing your view on what you want to change is powerful. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • atwaa958
    atwaa958 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :/:/
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Have you seen SuperSize Me or Forks Over Knives?

That pretty much did it for me.
  • Nikkichanel_fitness
    Options
    I've seen both movies, that's why I won't eat at McDonalds to this day.

• Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice. I love to cook, but sometimes with my work schedule I grab fast food as a convience and it turns into days of binges. I started tracking my food since Jan. 25 and the last three weeks I take a lunch to work and make dinner. I'm trying to work out at least six times a week. I'm really trying to avoid fast food all together. This week I'm seeing the number on the scale
    ]

Have snacks around. Peanuts, almonds, tuna, and other things with long shelf life tht are healthy. Not as long a shelf life as a McDouble wedged between a car seat for 2 years that looks exactly the same as it did when u dropped it there but ya know, something u can always have handy.

• CatheMcG831
    CatheMcG831 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to crave fast food. Everytime I ate it, I found myself thinking about how disgusting it really is, not just about how bad it is for you, but how it is made and how long it sits under a heat lamp before it gets handed to me. Addiction is all mental and changing your view on what you want to change is powerful. Feel free to add me if you want.

Fast food addictions are miserable! In my case, my husband has the Fast food addiction, and since I hate to cook and have almost no self control- I fall into that trap with him all too often! And then that guilt and disgust is right there thinking about their food. Since I have started tracking my food, and I'm able to control my lunches and snacks while he's at work, it's made it a little easier to encourage other options for dinner too.... Little steps- but it will get better!
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you've seen Supersize Me and are convinced by its message (as you say you avoid Mcdonalds) then extrapolate that to the other fast food chains. I imagine they all use the sweepings from the meat factory floor, grind it up with salt, sugar, colourings etc and form it into burgers. Then consider the amount of preservatives that must be added in order for the food to not decompose. I view fast food as poison. Just like alcohol though I believe my body can handle it occasionally, because I know my liver can do amazing things.
  • Nikkichanel_fitness
    Options
    I struggle the most with the cravings. I feel horrible after I eat the food. It's this mom and pop burger joint by my house they serve a little of everything, I just discovered their tacos, I Love Tacos!!!!!! The tacos taste homemade and at one point I ate them everyday. They don't drain the grease and as the good got cold the fat would cease up and become solid. Tonight I was thinking about all the fat clogging my arteries and the damage I was doing to my body. Smh
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The last time I ate a burger at Burger King, I happened to lift the bun and take a look.

There was fur on my burger. Just let that sit there with you a bit.

When you get such huge amounts of food all processed that fast and shipped out, rats are drawn in. I swear to god, I had a rat burger.

I have never eaten fast food again. I'm too tucked out.

I have two other stories as well, but I will keep them too myself.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yucked out, not tucked out. :)
  • Nikkichanel_fitness
    Options
    @Numer1ca "rat burger" nooooo!!!!!