Weights/exercise to tone/streamline without bulking up? (Female losing weight).

Options
So I'm probably not the first to ask this, but I'd be really grateful for exercise advice with a view to toning up but not bulking up. I think I was once told that lower weights and more reps would tone without bulking- is this correct? I'm in the process of losing a lot of weight and have nightmares of ending up losing the weight I want and ending up even unhappier with no tone/loose skin. I have lost weight fairly slowly.... (64 lbs) over 22 months so hopefully I am giving my body plenty of time to adjust but now I am getting fitter, I think weights as well as cardio will help me to be healthy and get towards my goals.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is greatly over simplified, but .....Follow an established strength training program comprised mostly of compound movements. I prefer full body each day, but an upper lower split is fine. Forget the light weight low rep scheme. Keep the weights heavy enough to be in the 5-12 rep range, but that should be specific to whatever program you choose to follow. Add "cardio" if you'd like. I suggest "finisher" moves.
  • Ibeachlover
    Ibeachlover Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well, while I agree that compound moves are great, I do think that use of lower weights with higher (10-15) reps is better than heavier weights with fewer reps, especially for back and legs, if you want to limit bulk. At my gym, I see a lot of alternatives to just weight lifting for toning and non-bulky muscle building. Most wrap around using resistant bands and using only your body weight. It makes sense to me that using your body weight would be a good way of building proportional muscle mass? If you are at a gym, look around for these types of exercises or go on-line to get ideas. I can personally vouch for resistance (not weight) training as a way to build define muscles; although today I'm more of a bulk guy. Many of these exercises you can also do at home if you can't go to a gym.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Well, while I agree that compound moves are great, I do think that use of lower weights with higher (10-15) reps is better than heavier weights with fewer reps, especially for back and legs, if you want to limit bulk. At my gym, I see a lot of alternatives to just weight lifting for toning and non-bulky muscle building. Most wrap around using resistant bands and using only your body weight. It makes sense to me that using your body weight would be a good way of building proportional muscle mass? If you are at a gym, look around for these types of exercises or go on-line to get ideas. I can personally vouch for resistance (not weight) training as a way to build define muscles; although today I'm more of a bulk guy. Many of these exercises you can also do at home if you can't go to a gym.

The OP is in a calorie deficit and is not going to be adding muscle, just preserving it from lifting heavy if they decide to go down that route.
    Look at a good beginner lifting program that has at least 3 days lifting a week. Lift heavy and continue on your weight loss journey and you'll be fine. (And lifting heavy means heavy for you, not comparing to other people).

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    This is greatly over simplified, but .....Follow an established strength training program comprised mostly of compound movements. I prefer full body each day, but an upper lower split is fine. Forget the light weight low rep scheme. Keep the weights heavy enough to be in the 5-12 rep range, but that should be specific to whatever program you choose to follow. Add "cardio" if you'd like. I suggest "finisher" moves.

This is good advice. I can't copy and paste right now but there are links to several lifting programs in my profile. They all differ slightly but are good programs. Don't worry about bulking up.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There is no toning or streamlining. All you can do is lose fat to make what muscle you already have more visible.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

A female, as does almost anyone has to work really hard and eat at a surplus to bulk.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You won't get bulky. Don't be afraid to lift heavy.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I have always been told that as a woman, it is very difficult to bulk and would normally require either a large calorie surplus or some kind of steroids. I have seen lots of girls lift heavy and none of them have bulked, their muscles just get stronger and better defined.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    To build or "bulk" requires heavy lifts with progression on weight. Also requires a calorie surplus to feed said muscles. Then that is usually followed by a "cut", to reduce the recently acquired body fat gained while bulking, to better reveal the defined muscle mass.
    You are in a deficit. You wont bulk. So lift heavy- low reps- to keep from losing muscle mass while eating at a deficit. You need to feed your body to support the workouts you are doing. Protein and carbs are your friends, especially on lift days :) Its so rewarding to feel yourself getting stronger each week!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    @piperdown44 said it best. In a calorie deficit you won't put on much muscle (except for maybe "newbie gainz") but you certainly won't get bulky. I'd recommend finding a lifting program, one that incorporates compound lifts are great for retaining muscle.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lift heavy. I like the 4-6 range with some hypertrophic ranges sprinkles in (8-12).
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Just going to echo most of the previous posters: find a tried and true program and stick with it. And don't worry about getting bulky. It's hard to bulk up as a woman, plus you would need to be eating to support those goals (which is not a calorie deficit). FWIW, I lift heavy and haven't bulked up in the almost 3 years I've been doing it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

The only difference between working 5-8 reps and 8-15 reps is which set of muscle fibers you are working: power (fast twitch) and endurance (slow twitch). Ideally, you should be working both, no different than one should do cardio and resistance training. But neither, will lead to a being bulking. No one accidentally gets bulking, especially a female. And if your body fat is low enough, that you think you look bulking, then you just have to add body fat back.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Just going to echo most of the previous posters: find a tried and true program and stick with it. And don't worry about getting bulky. It's hard to bulk up as a woman, plus you would need to be eating to support those goals (which is not a calorie deficit). FWIW, I lift heavy and haven't bulked up in the almost 3 years I've been doing it.

Some good beginner programs to look into are Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have done both Stronglifts and NROL4W and loved both of them. And no, heavy lifting did not make me "bulky," but my body transformed and I feel fantastic. I am finally achieving a strong, athletic, defined body.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A great link about "toning" - explains what it really is, how to do it, and dispels a lot of myths/misconceptions: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how heavy the weight is, just keep increasing it to challenge yourself. I'm up to 20 lb. dumb bells and not even close to bulky.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Some good beginner programs to look into are Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have done both Stronglifts and NROL4W and loved both of them. And no, heavy lifting did not make me "bulky," but my body transformed and I feel fantastic. I am finally achieving a strong, athletic, defined body.

This. Don't be afraid to lift heavy. If you're in a deficit, you aren't going to add muscle mass. I do Stronglifts 5x5 and love it. And as I lose body fat I am also loving my new more-athletic look which I doubt would be called "bulky" by anyone.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavier has completely changed my body shape. I started with just push ups and squats and as I got stronger gradually added more weight. I have a bum, toned arms and shoulders and smaller waist as well as increased confidence which was lacking when just on cardio! Good luck!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I will add my own experience. After 1 year of heavy lifting, no bulk, just slimmer.

I will also link this thread which has many wonderful ladies showing what heavy lifting has done for them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    This seems to be a constant debate. I used to have the same mind set as you. Cardio + low weight/high rep lifting = toning. In October, I decided to set out with a new goal and up my cardio, but also focus more so on heavy lifting. Boy oh boy is there a difference in my body. I look incredibly more toned now versus when I was doing low weights. The stronger and "larger" your muscles are, the more toned they appear (also the more calories you burn throughout the day in general thanks to more muscle mass). For example - I am very petite - 5' and 114 lbs. (of muscle) and I leg press 4 sets, 20 reps each of 230 lbs. I can max out at 365 lbs. and the highest "rep" set I can do is 5 reps of 310 lbs. Even after all of this - my legs appear thinner and more defined than ever before.