Gaining not losing

Options
2»

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    nita494 wrote: »
    I can get a scale , can anyone explain how to figure in the calories I burn based on fit bit I stopped wearing when I do elliptical because I read that it wasn't accurate, but even with doing that it states I burn anywhere from 2000 to 3000 MFP removes these calories when I manually put in elliptical calories and I don't think the elliptical is way off breaks down to 750 calories an hour and my heart rate is at 120 usually I know there is an equation that helps you figure out more accurately which I did when I first got my elliptical and it wasn't that off before I had elliptical I just walked 2 miles a day , after got elliptical the weight dropped off much faster
    There are online calculators that will help you to estimate the calories you burn a hr of 120 is good for low level steady state , but is not the only indicator you need.
    Your Fitbit will under estimate on the elliptical I would think so using its calculation may be worth it and see how things go but honestly the easiest answer is to reduce the calories you eat by 150-250 a day for a few weeks as you have found your maintanence level. Now you need to find the calorie in amount that allows you to lose weight.
    The other thing to keep in mind is when you have lost weight from your starting point example 10lb your body uses less energy to move your mass. So the calorie burn for the same duration/effort will reduce accordingly. Recalculation and recalibration needs to happen on both the energy in and out .
  • nita494
    nita494 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    nita494 wrote: »
    I don't use a scale but I'm really meticulous when logging anything that touches my lips is logged lol I have measured out certain foods I eat pretty much the same stuff week after week lol

Without weighing, you've been guessing, and with a lot of weight to lose, guessing will get you a lot farther than it will with only 10 pounds to go. It looks like you've hit your maintenance amount with guesstimates. You need to recalculate your calorie after such a huge loss and then tighten up the calorie count with a scale if you need to lose the last ten.

Two notes to this part: 1. I don't your stats, and 2. I'm going to assume your losing this amount of weight under a doctor's supervision. That being said, if you really need to see that particular number on the scale, then you'll have to diet down even further. Being in a deficit depletes your glycogen levels, so the water it's stored in (3-5 pounds) is going to come back once you start maintaining for real. That's just what "water weight" is. That's why you can lose such a huge amount the first week of dieting and then it starts to taper off, and why you can gain five pounds after Christmas dinner. (Just a heads up so you won't get disappointed once you've reached your goal.)

• janekangaustin
    janekangaustin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. You have lost a lot of weight already (Congrats! and Wow!), so be patient. sometimes your body just needs time to adjust and plateaus before losing again
    2. Agree that you can't base calorie burn on the machine and then eat that many calories
    3. Change exercise regimen or add weights. If you have mainly done elliptical for the past 2 years, it is no big deal for your body.
    4. Agree with making sure you drink more water.
    5. Are you stressed? Stress can make you gain weight.
    6. Are you sleeping enough? Not enough sleep can also add to weight gain.