Unrefined Sugar Suggestions

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, if it comes down to how these substances affect the body, there is no metabolic difference between the natural sugars and the refined. To be "healthier" which in my mind is either calorie reduction or a different metabolic reaction, the only way is to reduce quantity.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't like artificial sweeteners.
    They always make me crave more sugar and they have a weird after taste to me.

I use honey and agave syrup.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I didn't cut it out but I use stevia when I bake, mostly protein type of muffins/macro friendly treats. I use it in my shakes as well. Otherwise I actually used to not track sugar at all. Now I watch it because I have a painful physical reaction to a certain amount :(
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Well, if it comes down to how these substances affect the body, there is no metabolic difference between the natural sugars and the refined. To be "healthier" which in my mind is either calorie reduction or a different metabolic reaction, the only way is to reduce quantity.

That makes sense and is very true. Personally, however, I consider "healthier" to mean more nutrient dense, which means stuff like honey, maple syrup, molasses, fruit juice/puree/reduction, stuff with even trace amounts of nutrients. When it comes to sugars, I usually just eat foods that are naturally sweet, like sweet potato, parsnips, chestnuts, fruits, etc.
    In conclusion, you and I are speaking of matters of semantics. I like that, that there's more than one way of thinking about things and seeing the points of view of everyone. Which sweetener is your go-to?