Weight compared to calories

Options
An apple and a head of iceberg lettuce together equal about 200 calories. Two tablespoons of peanut butter also equal 200 calories. Or a box of green giant steamers broccoli and cheese = 10 ounces whole box and 150calories total.
And a small personal 1ounce bag of lays potato chips are also 150 calories.

Is the additional weight all in water. I know the difference between most good and bad foods but was just curious. I have been maintaining a good diet and have lowered my calorie intake. I'm making better healthier dississions. Thanks everyone!

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yes, foods that are less calorie dense are usually higher in water and fiber content. Fats are the most calorie dense, so foods with a lot of fat (potato chips) can have a lot of calories with very little weight.
  • jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Yes, foods that are less calorie dense are usually higher in water and fiber content. Fats are the most calorie dense, so foods with a lot of fat (potato chips) can have a lot of calories with very little weight.

So like most people say, try to stay away from those bad days. Also is it healthy or ok to basically fill up your days calories with less calorie dense foods. Lite soups, certain fruits and veggies, fish, chicken.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Because a food is calorie dense does not make it "bad". Peanut butter is not "bad". An avocado is not "bad". Potato chips are not "bad". Pizza is not "bad". Cake is not "bad".

Because a food is not calorie dense does not make it "good".

Foods in isolation are neither "good" or "bad". They are foods that contain calories, macro and micronutrients.

An overall dietary intake and the way you fit these calorie dense and not dense foods in, can be looked upon as "good" or "bad".
  • jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Because a food is calorie dense does not make it "bad". Peanut butter is not "bad". An avocado is not "bad". Potato chips are not "bad". Pizza is not "bad". Cake is not "bad".

Foods in isolation are neither "good" or "bad". They are foods that contain calories, macro and micronutrients.

An overall dietary intake and the way you fit these calorie dense and not dense foods in, can be looked upon as "good" or "bad".

What if you eat fruit like apples and salads a lot. I feel like even though there low in calories and there much better foods then chips or cookies and such lol I feel bloated often and always heavier on the scale. I feel like it's hard to see any results or progress when water plays a huge part in weight? Not discourage but curious how long we hold water.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you always are eating foods that lead you to retain water, your weight will be consistent as far as showing progress. The issue of water weight fluctuations muddying the view of progress arises when you actually experience water weight gain/loss, not when it remains steady.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

What if you eat fruit like apples and salads a lot. I feel like even though there low in calories and there much better foods then chips or cookies and such lol I feel bloated often and always heavier on the scale. I feel like it's hard to see any results or progress when water plays a huge part in weight? Not discourage but curious how long we hold water.

I'm not really following you.

You can eat whatever you like.

If you want to lose weight consume less calories than you use.

Water weight is inconsequential in long term fat loss goals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

If you eat fruit like apples and salads a lot you better be sure you are consuming adequate protein and fats within your diet as a whole

we always hold water - we are more than half water - water fluctuates - get used to it .. give yourself a scale weight range of say 5lbs and don't let it freak you out
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Water or air.