Nutrition Dummy but a mom on the go

Options
I get on the bandwagon go to the gym start to think I am going to eat healthy and than I just bomb. I grew up in NYC where my grandma was nothing but an amazing cook. My weight was never bad until after my 1st child 21 years ago. Now I can't loose the 60 lbs I need to loose.

I have high blood pressure and body aches every day. I just want to find things to help me succeed. I am a busy mom who is married to a man that doesn't care about his weight but will do and eat what I do. I have a women's group meeting monday nights, tuesdays I have football staff meetings and than come game season I am busy Thursday & Friday. Sundays is church. I know I can fit workout in before most events because I work til 12p or 1p most days.

My problem finding decent recipes that taste good ( I am a picky eater) that are fast to cook or prep and that I can stick to because they are good and fast. Than to find stretches for my low back that is extremely tight 95% of the time as well as hips and calves.

I FEEL LIKE A MESS!!

Replies

• CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The mfp blog has tons of healthy recipes. Find 20 you like and cycle them. KISS (keep it simple stupid) Eat what you like in appropriate portions, don't turn calorie counting into "rocket surgery "
  • MomMaggie
    MomMaggie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get the busy mom, that's me too! I do Jillian Michaels in the morning, her workouts are only 30 minutes. There is no way on earth I could possibly workout after work, I would just be setting myself up for failure. Keep veggies cut up and accessible in the fridge. Grab a handful in a Ziploc and munch while you're on the way to the next activity. Cut out the sugars and processed foods, small changes make a big difference. I use my crockpot a lot! It really helps get nutritious meals ready for what time I want it! Also, if you're going grocery shopping, park a little farther away, those extra steps add up! Good luck, you can do it!!!
  • perfectly_unique
    Options
    MomMaggie wrote: »
    I get the busy mom, that's me too! I do Jillian Michaels in the morning, her workouts are only 30 minutes. There is no way on earth I could possibly workout after work, I would just be setting myself up for failure. Keep veggies cut up and accessible in the fridge. Grab a handful in a Ziploc and munch while you're on the way to the next activity. Cut out the sugars and processed foods, small changes make a big difference. I use my crockpot a lot! It really helps get nutritious meals ready for what time I want it! Also, if you're going grocery shopping, park a little farther away, those extra steps add up! Good luck, you can do it!!!

MomMaggie, I do park at the end of the parking lot most times. I wear a fitbit so I am always trying to find ways to meet my daily goals. As for morning workouts I am not able to do that because I have to be at work by 7am and I have a high school that is at school by 630am. I might have to be up by 4am to do that. But it is not something I would rule out, it is a possibly when I know I won't make it to the gym in the evening. The fruit and veggie thing I am going to have to work on that. I am not a fan of many fruits or veggies but will be working on that.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Invest in a slow cooker and or pressure cooker with a timer. I love to pop in my ingredients in the morning, set it and come home to a hot yummy meal. As stated above there are tons of recipes on the Blog or on the internet.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Another vote for Crockpot meals! One of the easiest I do is chicken breasts and salsa (I prefer green salsa). Throw the chicken breasts in the crockpot, add the jar of salsa, and let it cook all day. When I get home, I shred the chicken and we have chicken tacos. So freaking yummy! I usually make extra and then use the chicken on my salads for lunch for a couple days.

As for workouts, I am lucky and work out while my son is participating in his sports. He has either boxing or football for 1.5 to 2 hours five nights a week. I drop him off and go to the gym. I lift weights mostly, Stronglifts 5X5, and do a little bit of cardio (not my favorite).
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    MomMaggie wrote: »

To the bolded: not necessary. In fact, imposing sweeping restrictions on yourself often backfires.

• samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking too and we are all pretty picky in my family. Probably because we've never had much exposure to other foods so our taste buds are used to all the sugar and salt. My husband does most of the cooking since he usually gets home from work before me. Our meals aren't the most nutritious but I work on keeping my portions smaller and have had some success.